V picks

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DeathMetalDean, Dec 8, 2009.

1. DeathMetalDean

DeathMetalDean ss.org Shredder

These picks look very impressive :O

I first noticed them cuz I seen a vid today

which I think I'm gonna buy the insanity pick, seems pretty awesome.

Insanity

that's info and stuff on it :eek: but yeah, if I think it's improved my technique within a week I may try out the phsyco pick

Psycho

and there are these which seem quite interesting

All 6 V-Picks

:lol: maybe some of you have tried or bought these things before? if so, would you recommend them? :shred:

drmosh likes this.
  2. splinter8451

splinter8451 SS.org Regular

Haha there were all kinds of problems with the V-pick maker dude back when I was on jemsite all the time.

Ever hear about Red Bear picks? Red Bear Trading Co. The Best Guitar Picks Made - Your Tone Starts Right Here

I have heard a LOT of people say good things about Red Bear picks (I think Dave Weiner talked about them in a recent riff of the week) and the few people I know who have gotten V-picks have been impressed with them at first but then gone back to regular old Jazz III's.

So if you are trying to spend a ton on a pick I would recommend you look into Red Bear's but if you are set on the crazy size V-Picks then go for it and post your reactions! :yesway:

3. DeathMetalDean

I too have heard about red bears lol I think from the riff of the week as well xD idk I'm sorta set on trying out these V's, they look pretty damn impressive. I guess I could try them and give feedback on 'em lol :) would really like to try out them red bears sometime too, I'm too adventurous :lol:

4. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

For the money I think V-picks are great (in fact they are what I currently use) but I'm not sure I would recommend them over Jazz-III's for the simple fact that they do alter your tone and can provide an attack that some people don't like.

Tonally I think Red Bear's are fantastic but with the standard of my playing I can't really justify spending £20 on a pick in the same way that Guthrie Govan or Andy Wood can ;)

5. TonalArchitect

TonalArchitect Augmented Chords!

I have V-Picks, and they're great. I personally prefer them over Jazz III's, better tone, especially on acoustic.

And you don't have to get the big-ass 10mm thick ones. I prefer the "standard" V-Picks, Acoustic models and such. Which are about 2mm or so. Definitely worth a try. And if the tone is somewhat not to you're liking, try not angling the pick to hell and back. You don't have to.

I posted a review of these things in the Gear and Equipment section

I highly recommend them.

6. DeathMetalDean

just read the review! niceee :yesway:

7. splinter8451

I might order a V-pick sometime after the Christmas season is over, and maybe a Red Bear pick... I dunno.

8. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

That's exactly the way I feel - I like the way that they alter my tone and accentuate some of the frequencies which really seem to matter. I wouldn't go back to Jazz III's now especially as with the V-picks I never seem to drop them :)

9. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

I've been using a small pointy v-pick for over a year now. Replaced everything I had tried previously including Jazz III's. After 16 years of playing I won't go to another pick.

10. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

i bought some v-picks..

at first it sounds amazing, but right now im using dava picks, jazz 3 size :cool:
    sometimes i fool around with the Vs, and they sound nice, but....

11. splinter8451

I was thinking about checking out those Dava picks too haha. I just never get around to buying picks. I have so many Jazz III's lying around I have no reason too.

12. DarkRaven03

DarkRaven03 SS.org Regular

I've played both V-picks and Red Bears. My #1 pick is now the Red Bear Tuff Tone Classic H w/ grip holes. Here's the list of picks I've tried and companies they're from:

Dunlop:

Ultex (.73,1.0,1.14)
    Ultex Sharp (1.0,1.14,1.40,2.0)
    Tortex (.60,.73,.88,1.0,1.14)
    Jazz III (Black, EJ Sig)
    Jazztone (205,208)
    Gels (XH)
    Big Stubby (1.0,2.0,3.0)
    Stubby (1.0,2.0,3.0)
    Delrin (.71,.96,1.5,2.0)
    Gator Grip (.71,.96,1.14,1.5,2.0)
    Tortex Jazz (1.14)
    Tortex Sharp (.73,.88,1.0,1.14,1.35,1.50)
    Nylon (.73,.88,1.0)

V-Picks:
    Small pointed
    Medium pointed
    Large pointed
    Medium Rounded
    Large Rounded
    Freakishly Large Rounded
    Diamond
    Screamer
    Medium Rounded Lite (1.0)

Clayton:
    Acetal Standard (1.0)
    Acetal Triangle (.50, 1.00, 1.52)

Fender:
    Celluloid Medium
    Celluloid Heavy

Red Bear:
    Original Classic H, no grips
    Tuff Tone Big Jazzer H, w/ grips
    Tuff Tone Classic H, w/ grips

In case it doesn't show, I'm a little OCD about my pick choice. I've found that FOR ME, the Classic pick shape works the best. I've tried to find a pick that is fast, still resists enough for me to feel it, sounds good, and does not slip, and the red bear does just that for me.

Also, I should note that V-picks did not work for me because of my hand oils. They are great picks, but I happen to be one of very few people who has hand oils that make them slip. They do have a classic shape (called the tradition, I believe) which I have not tried, as the material simply will not stay in my hands.

It took me a LONG time to find the pick I'm satisfied with, good luck finding yours!

13. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

Choosing a pick for speed is all well and good, but what I like about small picks (i.e. jazz III's) is that you get so close to the strings with the flesh of your fingers, making it easy to manipulate harmonics and dynamics without having to adjust your picking hand. I find that the guitarists that have the most expressive use of subtle harmonics are usually playing jazzIII's or similar.

14. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

id like to try that Insanity one.
    i use the big dunlop rounded triangles. When i met Wes Borland i got to nab some picks from him (i carry one in my wallet) definitely what i like.

15. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Lord Green Fingers Contributor

I bought a couple of V picks and while they feel pretty good, they wear out far too quickly. After 1, 2 hour session of rehearsal it was close to near un-useable. Where as the Jazz III's last me a long time.

Such a shame because they felt pretty good.

16. TonalArchitect

TonalArchitect Augmented Chords!

^ That's odd; mine haven't worn much at all, but I don't hold my picks at an extreme angle, so maybe that's it.

17. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

i have used 3 or 4 V picks (always the Jazz III shape) and i LOOOOVE them! They're a but expensive, but they last a really long time. plus, if you get the Jazz III shape, it will last 3 times longer since it is an equilateral triangle and has 3 tips for picking. i liked the clear one better than the glow in the dark one (although it was easier to find when dropped!). they add a unique pick attack and really beef up the tone of single string melodies. i love them!

18. liquidcow

liquidcow SS.org Regular

Until today I hadn't realised that people will pay £20 for a plectrum.

19. splinter8451

I wish I could try the expensive ones out before buying them :ugh:

Until I can try one out I will prob be sticking with the in-store Jazz III style picks.

20. lurgar

lurgar SS.org Regular

Same here. I know that changing picks can definitely change the tone of the guitar you're playing, but it'd be nice to be able to at least try one out before blindly ordering.