UV for a Carvin ?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Lenny, May 11, 2006.

1. Lenny

Lenny SS.org Regular

would be smart to sell a UV for a carvin 7, also did any of you change the carvin pups to dimarzio's or whatever, I heard that you need to route and such/

2. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Which UV, and Which Carvin?

3. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

UV is a great guitar. I have never played a Carvin 7 but I have always wanted one, I wouldn't trade or sell my UV for one though.....

4. Lenny

Lenny SS.org Regular

the 777,mirror pickguard, for a carvin 727 or 747 ,

5. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

Thats a tough one! You really would have to try the necks out. They are vastly different. Carvin 7's are very well made and solid. Where are you located?

6. Chris

I'd keep the UV, personally.

7. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

you may be able to sell the UV for $$$, and buy a Carvin 7x7 with cash to spare, depending on the quality of the UV.

but really, have you played on the Carvin you're looking to trade in for? if you have, do you like it better than the UV? quality aside, it pretty much comes down to which one you feel the most comfortable with.

besides, we're mostly Ibanez nuts, and may be biased ;)

8. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

:agreed:

...those Carvin 7s are sure nice though. :D

Keep the UV and buy a Carvin. :yesway:

9. Lenny

Lenny SS.org Regular

I alrady have a hellraiser, great guitar but its so hard to have both, I'm in band and I either need to write solos all with or without the wammy, I was thinking of adding a floyd on the hellraiser but I was told it might cost as much as the damn guitar

10. Chris

That'd be a hell (pardon the pun) of a job.

11. Cancer

Cancer Cancer:The Crucifuct

Agreed, to date the best 7 string I have ever played has been the Carvin, and this is after the UV, which is godly in its own right....

Save your pennies and buy the Carvin.

12. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

13. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

If you're thinking about trading the UV for a Carvin 7 with a Floyd, I would say don't bother. The Carvin uses a crappy licensed Floyd that isn't nearly as good as the Ibanez LoPro bridge (or the current Edge Pro version), and you can't retrofit an Original Floyd Rose-7 on the Carvin without routing it, since it's very tightly routed for the "footprint" of the licensed Floyd, which is different than the OFR. You'd also want to swap the pickups, and you do have to rout the Carvin if you want DiMarzios. Duncans can fit just barely if you cut off some of the excess tape on the side of the pickup that often bunches up on one side.

I have a Carvin DC747 that I really like, but mine has a fixed bridge, and I'd undoubtedly rather have a UV if I used Floyds anymore.

14. 7StringofAblicK

7StringofAblicK Contributor

heh, my two sevens are a 91 UV and a Carvin DC727.

I love em' both...but each has a different personality.

15. shadowgenesis

shadowgenesis Yarrrrrr

Me <3 Carvin

i have yet to ever play a guitar that feels so perfect in my hand as my 727 does. I didnt' know the details of the floyd rose thing as above mentioned, but I must admit i'm not in love with the bridge. :-\.

As far as pickups, it depends. I ordered mine with a mahogony body and i think the bridge pickup sounds kinda honky, whereas i'm looking for something that sounds a lot more open and clear. I'm planning on putting in dimarzio's (air norton and blaze bridge), but i wasn't sure if i'd have to do some routing, and if so, how much. The standard body wood for the 727s and 747s is alder though, and I can't say I have any idea how it'd sound with an alder body.

As far as playability tho, I love the thing. and the distorted tones are as sweet as could be asked for. The electronics are nice, with the coil taps standard and phase switch fro center position only 10 bucks more. If you're not overly concerned with cosmetics you could probably buy the carvin with a good amount leftover in your pocket.

do itttt. i need more carvin players on this site!

how much? like.. an eentsie weentsie bit or is there going to be a gaping abyss in my guitar shuold i decide to switch em out for say, duncans?

16. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

Or you could sell the Schecter and get an old UV or RG7620.

17. jim777

jim777 Seen all good people Forum MVP

You don't have to route the Carvin to put in DiMarzios, you just dremel the pickup base a tiny bit. It's not a big deal. I've done it with DiMarzios. You HAVE to change the pickups in the Carvin, they suck. Carvin 6 string pickups are great, but the 7's are worthless.
    If you live by the trem, you may not like the one in the Carvin. If you use it occasionally for effect, and it isn't a huge part of your style, you can likely live with it. I personally haven't tried to put an original Floyd in any of my Carvins, but if I needed that I would just buy one, give it to my luthier and he'd do it. I doubt the original Floyd would be as good a trem as the Edge, but again, unless you live in that trem you won't likely notice. I use a trem enough to not want a fixed bridge, but I don't do the dive bomb thing ever. The stocker on the Carvin has been 'good enough' for me. No better, no worse.
    The necks are COMPLETELY different; not even close. The Carvin is bigger by a bit. I can live with it, because my main 6 is an ES-175. The Carvin neck is more like a folk guitar neck, basically. If you like the Universe, keep it. Trading it for a Carvin without playing the Carvin first might leave you very disapointed. And, like everyone has said, Carvin's sell cheaply used. I'd keep the UV and pickup a cheap used Carvin. If you like the Carvin, get one made for you to your specs later on. They are both great guitars, but they really are very different from each other.

18. nitelightboy

nitelightboy I poop in shoes. Contributor

Tell you what....why don't you go ahead and give me your UV and buy the Carvin???

19. 7StringofAblicK

7StringofAblicK Contributor

and the tone is sooo subjective. I actually like the pickups in my carvin...i might change them one day...but not any time soon. My UV still has blazes in it but the carvin pups have more mids (not like my old 7620 though).

From what i see, i'd keep the UV...you don't want to be dissapointed with it and regret selling the UV.

20. jim777

jim777 Seen all good people Forum MVP

Yeah, Carvin puts the same pickups in everything, and they sell lots of wood combos. Not terribly forward thinking ;)