Using bass strings on guitar

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Dethfield, May 4, 2010.

1. Dethfield

Dethfield Advanced Prototype

So heres my situation. I want to try some thicker strings on my RG2228, specifically the B and F# strings. I dont intend to tune down any lower than standard, except the F# i tune down to an E (EBEADGBe). Being the impatient person that i am, i was wondering if using bass strings on guitar yields good results. I only ask this because my local guitar store only up to .52 gauge guitar strings, the only ones they have that are thicker are bass strings. Id order some proper guitar strings only, but it will take a few days to get here (impatient, i know :p).

So, anyone have any experience in this matter?

2. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

No. Don't use bass strings on a guitar. They aren't made the same and don't have the same tonal qualities.

3. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

dont. order the right strings for the guitar.

4. Ishan

Ishan Giant Fridge Magnet

The only bass string I'd use on a guitar would be an Elixir string, as they are made the same to, at least, .080

5. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Tu ne cede malis

Are you guys serious?

Look this has been bounced around before several times - and I'll admit, I'm still confused about what the differences are - but this isn't exactly an open and shut case.

We are still talking about carbon steel cores round-wound wrapped with nickel alloys, yeah? So what's the difference between an 0.080" D'Addario XL bass guitar string and an 0.080" D'Addario XL guitar string? I'm going to be popping a bass string on to my low E to firm up from 74, so maybe I'll learn the answer to my own question...

Do bass guitar strings have thicker cores or different density wrapping?

6. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Meshuggah use bass strings, and they sound fine to me. I don't know what everyone's problem is.

7. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com

Indeed...and they're using DR roundcore .70's to boot. I use a the same but a hex core (which will feel a bit tighter), using their patches, and it's dead on. Absolute nonsense about bass strings sounding bad. Using too large a gauge makes it sound too rounded on the pick attack and bass-like, which I think is most people's problem with the tone they get with bass strings. Use a lighter gauge, have good pick technique, and you'll get enough attack and 'djent'.

Soopahmahn likes this.
  8. Soopahmahn

Do they use Sunbeams (nickel wrap) or Hi-Beams (stainless wrap)? According to JustStrings.com, Sunbeams are not available at 70, only 65 and 75, while Hi-Beams are available at 70, which perhaps answers my questions.

What do you use? Which type do you think would match best with nickel-wrap guitar strings?

You just made me realize that I could be using one of these strings at a lighter gauge than 0.080 to hit the drop E tuning, because a round core will provide more tension than a hex core (assuming equal core:wrap ratio).

EDIT: 250th post! :flex:

9. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com

Nickle wrap .70 to match the the Tite-Fit guitar strings, which they get by the boxload directly from DR as they're endorsed by them. I'm using normal D'Addario 9-54 + .70 nickle wrap bass string on a 30" scale. Actually you have that backwards; Hex core strings have more inherent tension than round core. Stainless wrap will sound brighter, but is harder on frets in the long run. I tried the exact same DR's, but there was something about the round core feel I didn't care for, and as a repair tech in a busy store, I see far too many intonation issues with DR round core strings from weird winding inconsistencies, particularly with D strings for some strange reason.
    Each to their own.

10. Dethfield

thanx for the input guys. I think i might just try a bass string, probably a .072 (RG2228 factory string gauge is .065 for the F#). Ill let you guys know how it turns out.:hbang:

11. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Tried bass strings once or twice and i am still alive.:lol:

I think this one goes down to the brand and player's feel more than to a technical side. Who knows the guys against using bass strings might be right.

12. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

I used a 72 bass string and it was fine, a little bit muddy but that could be shitty ibanez pickups aswell! The string felt fine other then being larger then normal.

13. Soopahmahn

Thanks for correcting me and making my 250-post fail :(

:) So does anyone know the difference between "equivalent" bass and guitar strings? That's the real question here. If there's no difference other than the length to which they're cut, then there's no difference.

14. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

+100

I'm sporting a .72 bass string for my low F on my 28" Agile, but it's just not quite tight enough for fast chugging as stuff. I'll have a look at those DR hex cores.

15. Soopahmahn

Maybe even up it to 75?

16. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Dendroaspis here gave me a couple .75 strings (d´addario) to try out when i had my 28" scale baritone 6 string. it was absolutely awesome, and both felt and sounded perfect. worked really well with the guitar strings, really. bass strings are made for lower pitches and tighter low end etc, and so if you get a bright sounding bass string, you´ll get that meshuggah-like djenty/quacky type sound. i tried a .74 guitar string (also d´addario) on the 30" scale intrepid, and it too sounded good. so honestly, both will sound good. don´t choose one over the other "just because". the only reason i´d rather use a guitar string rather than a guitar string, is the size of the ball end. who knows, maybe that really is the only real difference? :lol:

17. Dethfield

Thats a good point. I havent changed the strings on my RG2228 yet, and havent done any reading... do you have to cut the ball ends off when restringing an RG2228?

18. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

yep, you do have to cut the ball ends off. in other words, the ball end size difference is non-existant if you use a 2228. you can use whatever you want.

19. Stan P

Stan P SS.org Regular

They work ...

I have used Dadario 75 on 25.5 tuned to low G and Newtone round core down to A - both with good result.

Dadario is boomy on upper frets but that must be my scale length:)

20. Soopahmahn

All this talk of cutting balls makes me wanna... :barf:

So nobody has come up with a material reason to explain if/how bass strings are any different than guitar strings?