Used Gibson Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by BenjaminW, Sep 20, 2017.

1. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

It blows my mind that you're younger than me and you're willing to spend that much money on a Les Paul, and I'm only a teenager with a guitar that costed half a thousand. Right now I'm trying to focus on getting a decent amplifier and studio setup but I virtually have no budget at the moment.

2. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Thanks.

3. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

If I were you, there is no substitute for going out and trying them. My first LP was very much a play it safe options which was a 2015 Les Paul Standard. Still have it today, still love it. I think I played 20 if not 100 Les Pauls before I settled on it. The big thing was I was originally going to buy sight unseen a Les Paul Traditional version of the Standard and after playing them was very glad I didn't. Super heavy guitars, didn't feel or sound how I wanted them to, didn't gel with me.

I played a few Standards and yes they are all very different feeling. I went with my trans black one and have been happy ever since.

When I was Les Paul Custom shopping, I had cash in hand. I took two days going around various stores. One of the first places I tried the guy was trying to sell me on a 2002-made LP Custom. But to be honest the newer one with the Richlite board just felt nicer to me. I spent the next day and a half driving around, but couldn't get that brand new Richlite-boarded LPC out of my head. Decided that was the one for me, went back and bought it.

The moral of the story is I don't think anyone can point you in the right direction. Both my instruments were new and over time have had dints on it. My Flying V was used and came with a few dings. But my LPs feel more special as they have my road-wear on them, the Flying V doesn't. It's someone elses. I know it sounds silly but that's me.

My advice is, go guitar shopping. Start with a plain jane LP Standard and work your way around from there. Plenty shops will have used LPs too so try some out in your budget.

One thing I would suggest though is don't wait. When you find that LP that speaks to you, stop looking, buy it. I passed on a SG Standard a while back as I wasn't sure I wanted an SG. But it played so damn good. Went back the next day, it had gone. I've never played an SG since that played like that. Pinch harmonics just flew off the fretboard, it sounded meaty, crunchy, just awesome. I had a similar experience with an Explorer a while back. So yes, as soon as you find "THAT" one, get it. Give up this Internet buying fad, no substitute for going out and trying it.

And do it on your own. Friends are useless here and won't understand what the hell you're doing. And girlfriends are impatient and want to go shoe shopping!

But if this is your first real guitar, don't underestimate the bond you'll have with a new instrument instead of a used one... it does exist IMO.

BenjaminW likes this.
  4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I'm definitely still considering newer year Les Pauls as viable options although the title of the thread says Used. I generally like LP Customs since my favorite guitarist, Randy Rhoads used one and I'd figure that getting one would pay homage but I think just a Standard will do the job fine since it's just a guitar. Although it's October and I don't plan on getting it until May, I do sometimes kick myself for wanting to get a too much of a head start but I feel that I'm probably doing the right thing by making some early calls and not waiting until April to make my decisions. As for if it's my first real guitar, it's not my first real guitar. The first real guitars I got were my uncle's (rest his soul) 1986 Fender MIP Strat and 1966 Tele but this would be my first Gibson and my second Les Paul since my current one is an Epiphone.

5. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Its possible by next spring youll have a new guitar hero and may want something completly different. My first guitar hero was randy rhoads when i was in 8th grade. I wanted a white LP custom. It was what i worshipped. Then when i discovered yngwie less than a year later, i wanted a vintage white strat with a scalloped fretboard and no longer wanted the LP. Then when i discovered shawn lane, i wanted to sell all my gear and quit playing altogether.

NickS likes this.
  6. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

If you want to save some loot yet still want to stay in the Gibson family don't forget Gibson had guitars made in Japan under the Orville brand. Damn near identical guitar with the open book headstock and they can be had used for well under $1000. Plus its an authorized Gibson product.

BenjaminW likes this.
  7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

For me, Randy has been pretty much my guitar hero ever since I was about 10 but there were times where I would somewhat worship Yngwie and Slash. And like you, I wanted the scalloped white strat. But there is a possibility I could have a new guitar hero in the future when it’s time to buy the guitar like you said.