Used Gibson Les Pauls

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by BenjaminW, Sep 20, 2017.

1. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

That's a sweet looking LP but the guy ( or shop) will NOT allow you to return the instrument if it's not to your liking. No way that I would risk $2,250. Doesn't even appear to include a HSC. Price may be reasonable but I def wouldn't do it if I was in your shoes.

2. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

BenjaminW likes this.
  3. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

If only I knew what an HSC was but I will take the no return policy into consideration.

4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Black Beauty Les Pauls. They look cool but I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with a three humbucker guitar but I will make it a consideration should my mind change.

5. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

HSC = hard shell case

Also that price seems a little high for that les paul...it looks pretty worn in, has a lot of dings and rash, and EMGs without a battery compartment (a pain in the ass to swap when the battery is under the back plate).

Are you going for something classic sounding, cause the EMGs are gonna definitely change the sound/tone?

As some of the others have pointed out, if 3K is in your price range, it may be better getting something new and having the option to return it than risk something on reverb/ebay. I can't speak for the new stuff as my les paul is from the 90s, but if you get something new with a defect, it shouldn't be hard to return it or get a replacement that satisfies you.

BenjaminW likes this.
  6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Also loook around for 90's and early 2000's Les Paul Classics, if you can handle the snot inlays they have slim taper necks hot ceramic pickups, super good players and a bit more blingy than a studio.

BenjaminW likes this.
  7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

For the sound I’m looking to get, I think my amp settings might help which are Gain: 10, Treble: 7, Mid: 4.5, Bass: 3, and since I’m using a Fender Champion 100, the voice I’m using is 80’s British. Personally, I’m fine with EMG’s but I can always find another guitar with the classic humbuckers. Although I don’t plan on getting my Les Paul until May, I am glad enough to have enough time to determine which ones I like and don’t like.

8. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I can probably handle the snot green inlays but I always have the option to take it to a luthier and get it re-fretted.

9. Wizard of Ozz

They make a 2 pickup version of the 1957 Reissue Custom too. ;)

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

10. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Awesome guitar.

11. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

12. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

But consider these things...

Been listed for 3+ months and only 1 offer.
    Priced pretty high given the condition.
    Sold as is. Again... you can't return it if it's not what you want.
    That deep "ding" in the neck could be bothersome to some ppl.
    The finish issue on the neck might be bothersome to some ppl.
    Not sure if orig wiring or not. I'm no expert but not the most tidy soldering on those pots imo.

Also consider things like this when buying used... What if you get this thing and it smells like a jar of wet cigarette butts? Do you want that? One thing when considering used guitars... Find out how many owners it's had and whether or not it has been in a smoke-free environment. Since you can't return it, now you're stuck with something that cost a lot of money and you're not happy with. Be careful man. I know that you said eta of May 2018 so you have plenty of time, but listen to others and learn as you get closer to being able to actually acquire whichever guitar. It seems like you're really interested in vintage players and as a first guitar ( or even a 2nd or 3rd guitar) that can be very risky. Anyway... This is another one that I would pass on if it was me. I don't expect you to necessarily like reading posts like this but no one here really wants to see you get screwed so just understand that.

BenjaminW likes this.
  13. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

My thoughts too...this guitar isn't anywhere near the described "excellent/minty" condition advertised. They're asking about twice as much as they'd realistically get for something in this condition.

When I was in high school and looking for a les paul, I found and played a lot of used customs and standards in several pawn shops. You may have luck finding one there and actually getting to play it or see it first hand instead of going on somebody's description and pictures online. Plus if it's been sitting on the shelf for a while, they may give you a deep discount to make some space.

BenjaminW likes this.
  14. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I am taking all the advice I am getting very seriously and I will make a note of looking in the descriptions of the products and what not to see if it’s buyable for me or not. I probably could consider myself a fan of vintage guitarists and guitars since that’s the kind of music I listen to. If I have to, I have the chance to get a 2018 Les Paul but again, it’s September and I still have until May to find a guitar but I am using all the time till then to rule out which guitars are worthy or not.

15. Wizard of Ozz

That's overpriced for what it is. Also the "Norlin Era" was from 1970-1986 (with 1986 as a transition year)... so his throwing around the term "Norlin" is somewhat of a misnomer, and used here to drive up the price. The $$$ Norlins are from 1970-1978... not 1986. I'd look at some others honestly.

A used Historic Reissue from 2001-present will give you much more bang for your buck.

BenjaminW likes this.
  16. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I've been wanting to get a 1974 Les Paul Custom in Alpine White just like Randy Rhoads' but the prices are a bit too high for me (mostly around $4,800) but I will definitely check out the other Norlin guitars.

17. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

I'm gonna be that annoying guy who jumps into the thread and recommends something completely different than what the OP asked but here goes:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product9107.html

The higher end Agile Les Pauls are really well made. I have two, and both play better than any Gibson I've ever had my hands on. Disclaimer: I haven't played a ton of Gibsons.

But they're nice, they look great, they play great, and if you keep an eye on the rondo page you can probably find your white lp for 500.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  18. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Thanks for the recommendation but I will still go with a Gibson.

Dineley and LiveOVErdrive like this.
  19. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Another update. I decided to lower my price limit to $2,750 from my original $3,000. I was going to go down to $2,500 but I figured that I should keep it in between my original limit and what I was going to change it to because I could run into some guitars that I would be in my liking.

20. Gerin

Gerin SS.org Regular

While I was still in High School I bought myself a nice ESP Horizon Custom for around $1400. Based upon inflation estimates that would work out to around $3000.00 today. I still have the guitar and feel it is better built than just about every ESP that I pick up today. If not for the Sinclair Licensed Floyd I would be hard pressed to say any ESP made today is better, at least to my hands.

I would have loved to own a Les Paul back when I bought the ESP however they were way over priced even then. I own one now and enjoy it however compared to my EB Majesty for comfort and tones it is simply not on the same level. Even my old ESP out performs the Les Paul for tone. Playing wise the ESP and Les Paul are about the same.

The only thing I would suggest if your looking into a 3K range guitar is test, test, and more testing. I still remember sitting in the guitar store trying well over 100 guitars before settling on the ESP(Several of the guitars were the same model ESP I ended up buying, however they just did not sound correct). I also refused to play the guitars through an amp until I narrowed the choice down to 3 guitars. If the guitar sounds like crap when it is not plugged in there is a very good chance it will never perform well when plugged into an amp.

BenjaminW, Dabo Fett and Dineley like this.