US Senate declares the entire USA to be a "battleground"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MikeH, Dec 2, 2011.

1. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Treeunit212 likes this.
  2. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 H. Maddas

No come to England, we have bad teeth, you can trust us.

But seriously, This ACTA and all these other bills are disgusting...
    Seriously I feel so sorry for America..

3. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Hmm...

Looks like it's time to become an immigrant. Good thing I don't bitch ab that. I might feel guilty otherwise. :lol:

4. GATA4

GATA4 Banned

I honestly feel like we will be in a legitimate civil war within the decade.

5. murakami

murakami Banned

oh my god... this is horrible... and i can definitely see this getting so much worse. possibly a civil war. god, i hope not.

6. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

That's a quite a stretch...

Civil war? Really? C'mon guys, read through the article yourself and see what it actually says, not interpreted from some European that's looking from the outside in.

7. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

That I might not have that big a problem with... We have seasons to hunt other animals to keep their numbers under control. I feel like the American people need a little "population control."

The scary part is that the Tea Party has a fuck load of NRA members. :ugh:

8. groph

groph surrounded by chairs

This might have been what my mom was talking about the other day.

Reading this shit makes me really want to learn how to shoot a rifle. But wait, we're not supposed to have guns because guns are baaad, m'kay? Isn't exactly this situation why the Second Amendment exists? I'm Canadianese, we don't have second amendments in Canadia, so spare me.

EDIT: is currently looking through the act

9. Randy

Randy !ǝɯ ʇɐ ʞooן Super Moderator

They've been doing this kinda thing for a while:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Padilla_(prisoner)

and I'm sure there are a lot of unnamed, undocumented cases of Americans being "disappeared". It's just sick that they're trying to put this on the books.

10. Randy

Randy !ǝɯ ʇɐ ʞooן Super Moderator

That's open for debate. I believe the less-NRA minded interpretation is that the second amendment was put in place particularly with militias in mind, incase there was another foreign invasion.

11. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

Any concept of the 2nd Amendment being used by citizens as an equalizer in power against the government died when the pace of government military power exceeded that of the civilian population.

Power to dissuade power only applies when there is equality in power. Own all the AR-15 rifles you want, they won't help against the Abrams or F-18s dropping ordinance on you.

12. GATA4

GATA4 Banned

I understand that people like to take stuff at face value these days, and I'm not making any rash judgments based off this article (which you are correct in saying might not be fully informed) but I always get an ominous feeling. Once people fear for their liberties, shit gets real. Right now, it seems like everyone's fearing for their liberties. But then again, they're all just hippies.....with Ipads?

13. groph

• Sec. 1031. Affirmation of authority of the Armed Forces of the United States to detain covered persons pursuant to the Authorization for Use of Military Force.

• Sec. 1032. Requirement for military custody.

14. murakami

murakami Banned

i read the article. what i am thinking that this can cause the people to become even more enraged with how the government is being handled. i mean, come on; look how many people are adding fire to the occupy wallstreet).

do you think this will not cause more problems? the people do not want to be squeezed more than they already are. civil war? ok, maybe not. but people to be detained by their own government? this aint fucking china, man.

15. groph

Sorry for the double post, but those above points are the "trouble spots" of the Bill.

Can anyone parse that for me, I'm not versed in legalese. It doesn't explicitly say that "The military will be able to kill whoever it wants to" but people are terrified of "indefinite detention" if some high-up suspects you of being affiliated with a terrorist group. In which case, apparently you'll be rounded up, waterboarded, denied your basic human rights, waterboarded some more, and nobody will tell you what's happening to you. Then they'll waterboard you.

16. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Title X: General Provisions

Subtitle D: Detainee Matters

Sec. 1032: Requirement for Military Custody

Subsection B Applicability to United States Citizens and Lawful Resident Aliens
      • (1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States.
      • (2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS- The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States.

17. GATA4

GATA4 Banned

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Thank you.

EDIT - Based on what Grand Moff Tim just posted, I gathered that the author of the article did indeed embellish/sensationalize some of this.

18. Grand Moff Tim

So seriously, people, I know that the bill was huge, but do some sort of research before foaming at the mouth over nothing.

19. Grand Moff Tim

Basically, that subsection of the bill was saying "Here are the people we can arrest without trial and here are the reasons we can do it. None of that applies to American citizens, i.e. We can't arrest and detain American citizens without trial."

Church2224 likes this.
  20. Blake1970

Blake1970 SS.org Regular

Scary stuff indeed. They could basically do what they want if they don't like this group of people protesting and so on. That guy has to many guns in his house so let's lock him up.