Upgrading audio interface

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by willy25, Aug 27, 2017.

1. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

should i upgrade my scarlett solo first gen? It clips when slapping the bass on the E string! Im looking at the steinberg urmk11 or the scarlett 2i2. Some guy at GC recommended the scarlett 2i4 due to the pad button it has. But i didnt have the money, and now i do. Should i save and go for the other 2? Or the 2i4 with the pad is worth it?

2. DaybridgeGhost

DaybridgeGhost SS.org Regular

I have not used Scarlett, but have you tried lowering the input gain on the audio interface till your bass no longer clips and then adding a compressor after?

This way, you may hear different bass articulations clearly without increasing the input gain to the point of clipping.

3. odibrom

odibrom .

1st generation Scarletts are known to clip on guitars and Basses at low input gain levels. Some people go around that issue with a DI at the input, between the Guitar/Bass and the interface.

Focusrite doesn't recommend using the PAD Button (on 2nd gen interfaces) for that purpose, as it is designed for synths, I guess.

Nevertheless, you should upgrade the interface if you feel it does not fulfill your needs, like rec sampling or unable to update drivers, or you need more features like MIDI, more inputs...

Maybe you can get away with a DI in front of it. Should be less than a new interface.

4. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

Thanks im going to try that.

5. alekosh

alekosh SS.org Regular

Yes, I do record with a pod hd500 into a 1st generation 6i6 and all my presets are at least -6db in the pod's mixer. Some presets even go -12db. I noticed that I do have the problem with all clean sounds therefore the adjustment with the -6db. I amplify afterwards in the daw. I will start recording base soon and I expect to face the same issue.

6. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

Wow so the guy was just trying to sell me something more expensive? No need for the pad. Lol

I wont probably get the DI box because the interface sometimes makes noises, like static, crackling etc..

Which of the two of above would you recommend? Im kind of scare to get the scarlett because i dont want the same problems with audio. And also the same with steinberg because some people have problems downloading the drivers.

7. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

Why dont you use the pods usb direct to your computer?

alekosh likes this.
  8. alekosh

alekosh SS.org Regular

Good question mate. I was using the pod as a usb for a long time and I had a few clicks also. That's when I found out tips in here to lower the db. I got the 6i6 mainly to expand my monitor out options and to record condenser mics and since I am planning to get a kemper I went with the spdif connection to familiarize the process.

willy25 likes this.
  9. odibrom

odibrom .

2nd gen Scarletts have the preamp gain worked out, one can plug a guitar or bass directly and be able to dial the input gain without clipping, and not needing for the PAD option to be active. It will be at a low level, but one can manage it, not like the 1st gen interfaces.

Sometimes noises like pops and alikes coming out of the interface are due to incorrect definitions or too much processing for the CPU and RAM to handle... they may not be the interface's fault.

10. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

thanks, i was about to spend 200 for the pad. lol

my laptop AMD 1.90ghz and 8gb of ram. is that ok?

11. odibrom

odibrom .

I think you're OK with your laptop, also remember that the faster the HDD is, the better performance the computer will have.

When the pops come up, are you running other software than VSTs or your DAW?, like facebook is open as well as lots of other web pages or you are rendering some image thing at the same time...?

I've been using a 2nd gen Scarlet 18i8 for the last year because my Presonus VSL1818 fried last year's sping. I got the Scarlett in August and used it with my laptop for the first month. In September I connected it to the desktop and it randomly made some weird noises out of nowhere (I've recorded those noises with a cam and sent them to Focusrite, with whom I've had some interesting conversations, nice people there). The desktop died this January and I now believe that it also killed my previous interface last year, because I never again heard noises coming out of my Scarlett when it is connected to my laptop. I just thought I should mention this. This computer hardware stuff is pretty sensible and sometimes the problems are coming from other sources and not the ones we think of. Mind that your interface may be just fine...

So, if you're into buying a new interface and you have a small amount to spend, read carefully the specs of each one so you can choose wisely. I'd also take the laptop and the bass to the shop (if you're buying directly from a physical shop) and teste the interface there.

For entry level interfaces, you can also check Presonus, I had 2 from them and I liked them a lot. The first was a Firestudio Mobile that I sold because I was about to buy a USB only laptop, and the second was this Audiobox 1818VSL. Both gave me nice sound and recordings. Drivers were solid and the included software is pretty nice. From Presonus, I suggest the AudioBox iOne, AudioBox iTwo, the AudioBox USB (now oldie, 4+ years since it was launched into the market) or the AudioBox 22VSL (with MIDI). Other models are also interesting, but more expensive. From Focusrite, I'd go for a 2nd gen Scarlett Solo, 2i2 (for the 2 mic inputs) or the 2i4 if you need the MIDI (or more outs).

Last but not least, your definitions on Buffer Size and Sampling Rate are key to proper sound processing.

12. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

IMO this is not a good argument to not get a DI box. If your interface is noisy its likely something in your chain like a bad cable or connection. A DI box is an integral piece to a guitar/bass recording setup because it correctly sets impedance; your interface does not necessary do this.

I have a first gen 18i8 and I have no problem with clipping.

You never discussed what your budget is for a new interface. Are you looking for more I/O? I will be upgrading to the 8preX after my wedding in a few weeks.

willy25 likes this.
  13. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

That's ok if you have optimized your system a little bit, if not, consider reading these. It shouldn't make static crackling noises after those are done.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10
    https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-7/

I have also set up my laptop's AMD processor's maximum state at 99%, it helped with throttling problems when using 1st gen Scarlett 2i4.

schwiz likes this.
  14. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

I originally bought a 2i2 1st gen and had all sorts of clipping problems, even with passive pups. Sent it back and got a 2i4 1st gen, used the pad button for all tracking (guitar, bass, etc) with no issues whatsoever. All of my recordings use the 2i4 1st gen with the pad engaged, since I'm typically using hot pickups.

I wasn't aware of the upgrades to the Scarlett in the 2nd generation, but it sounds like they resolved all clipping issues. Still, you may just want to look for a used 2i4 1st gen for a good price...I love mine.

15. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

I run facebook, youtube, while using studio one.
    Thanks ill look into those devices.

16. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

Thanks, ill look into that and see if it works.

17. odibrom

odibrom .

Youtube and Facebook take a great slice of CPU processing if you are using them at the same time as StudioOne and running VSTs, because of all animations involved and possible conflicting sound sources that may be requiring exclusivity from the audio interface (check your definitions here). As a test, I'd try to kill all software not related to recording to check for noise sources.

As for using the PAD button on recording guitars directly, if it works, good, I think I remember reading the manual were they say it was not thought to be used with direct guitars.

I usually don't record direct, did it once or twice a year ago because I didn't have my stuff with me. With the 2nd gen I didn't feel the need to use the PAD button, the gain was manageable, though at low levels.

18. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I turn off all apps not applicable to my DAW when running my DAW. Even though my iMac is loaded full with 32gb of RAM, every little bit helps, especially when I have loads of eq/comp plugins in my Pro Tools session templates.

In fact, if it weren't for updates and file storage of our sessions in dropbox, I would default to not even having this computer internet connected.

odibrom likes this.