Upgrade to Mesa JP2C?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by saxman42, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

One note on this, not because I think it'll inform your decision but because I think it's importannt to understanding how to get the most out of the gain channel in a Mark - the EQ knobs on a Mark are pre-gain, the sliders are post. That means that the knobs generally impact how the amp breaks up, whereas the sliders are better for pure equalization. One thing you'll see a lot of guys, or at least did in the 80s in the heyday of using these for thrash, do is boost the midrange and treble using the knobs, but then go back and scoop the mids and maybe roll back a little bit of treble (or not, if they want a brighter, crunchier tone) using the EQ sliders. Increasing the mids and treble tends to further saturate the preamp of a Mark, which is one of the reasons you first started seeing guys do that midrange V.

The reverse works well enough, too - I'm still finding the sweet spot in my V, but lately I've had a slight scoop in the mids, which has the effect of making the amp sound a little more open, I think, coupled with a slight mid cut and upper mid boost (annd slightly smoothed out highs) in the EQ section. In general, though, I'm trying to get my lead tone as close to where I want it without EQ, and then just use the EQ to get it that last 5%.

Also, I almost never use the EQ on Ch1, which to be fair on a full sized V is really more of a clean/lightly gritty channel than it is on the 25 (where they move Crunch to Ch1). I don't remember if this is a feature on the JP2C, but on the V they give you a "preset" EQ curve of the classic Mesa V as well as a blend knob to control just how strong you want that V to be, and if you were looking at using one EQ curve for leads on Mark I on channel 2 and another for rhythm on Ch 3, then the preset blended in to taste is pretty stupidly heavy right out of the box (I rarely blend it in more than say 50-60%).

saxman42 likes this.
  2. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

I'll see how portable the JP2C is, but I was banking on selling the Mark V 25 to help pay for the new one. I'm a tube amp engineer at another company and I think I've accumulated enough amps for my wife's taste.

TedEH and Deadpool_25 like this.
  3. Vince

Vince Contributor

It's really only a little bigger than the V25 and shares the same size headshell as the V35. It's 25ish pounds heavier, but hey you bought a 6L6 amp with a huge transformer for a reason :)

4. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

I got my JP2C a couple of days ago. I love the tone! It really fixes my complaints about the Mark V 25. My only issue is it seems to be lacking in gain (compared to the Mark Vs) unless you push it to the point where it constantly wants to become unstable and squeal. If I turn the treble and gain up to about 7, it's on the edge of taking off and enabling shred makes it squeal uncontrollably. Does this line up with with other your experiences? I'm sure a noise gate would fix the problem, but I want to make sure this is normal for the JP2C.

5. McKay

McKay ʎɐʞɔW

Or buy a Mark III and get it modded to IIc+ specs for a Mark III+

6. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Try turning up the gain OR the treble, rather than both.

Having said that, my Mark V remains usable with the gain pretty much anywhere, I'm inclined to say it shouldn't be squealing.

7. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Must stop looking at threads like these. Once I sell my 5153 50w, I might think about selling my Mark V 25 and upgrading :p

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Maybe it's time for a pickup swap?

9. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

That's the next thing I'm going to try. I played my Les Paul with 57 classic pickups and my Stratocaster with an EVH Frankenstein pickups. Both of those pickups are relatively low output. I hear Petrucci's pickups are hotter and his guitar has a 20 dB boost.

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Here’s a pic of my settings:

[​IMG]

I don’t get any squeals or feedback... but if I flip on the shred mode I do. I’m using ceramic mag pups around 17K. Don’t stand too close. :).

Also could be a bad preamp tube. These little boxes can put out a lot of gain.

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Mess with pickup height first and pick harder.

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Hey cool -- didn't know John Petrucci posted here.

13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Yeah, mine squeels and I have those Fluence pickups that are very quiet. I don't even put a lot of gain and didnt use shred. I found it hard to control that noise if I get too loud. Just dont stand too close, I guess.

With my 5150, even when I push the gain, it is dead quiet save for the little hiss the 5150s always have.

14. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

On the flip side, I just downsized and got a Mark 525 as a home practice amp so I can still get Mark IV tone without my Triaxis and 2:Ninety...

15. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

My buddy Steve has a JP I’ve got to spend some time with on 3 different cabs, and cranked up...it’s a REALLY nice amp, and if you like the particular sound of a 2C+, then this is the modern version but I slightly prefer my markIV, and for the price of the JP, you could by 2 markIV’s with plenty of cash to spare...it’s a serious consideration of whether it’s THAT much better than a IV, or V...The markV’s I’ve played I also prefer on the “markIV” setting, so I personally wouldn’t gurgle up $2500+ for a JP, unless you actually use all the options and NEED the flexibility. The JP to me, is like they took a really expensive classic amp and found a way to make it even MORE expensive...the cheesy graphic EQ’s on Mesa’s I’m also not wild about, I’d much prefer a nice rack EQ, or MXR 10 band EQ in the loop. I’m kind of a used/older amp guy though...so only you can decide if you can afford it, or need a ‘brand new’ amp. Lots of other options

16. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

My post was too late, but you’re already finding it doesn’t have enough gain lol...that 2C tone doesn’t quite do it for me, personally...the IV’s have a perfect death metal tone and are more aggressive and have more of a...(if they were knives), a “serrated blade” distortion than the JP and 2C+’s “smooth blade” distortion if that makes any sense. You’ll probably need a boost out front...I hope you get it there

17. Wizard of Ozz

To further extrapolate your dissertation... the MKIII will slice up any MKIV. The MKIII has way more toothy gain and more edge, more aggression, slice-n-dice than any MKIVA/B... and more gain overall. Period.

It's ironic that you contrast the differences between the MKIV and JP2C (which I agree with to some degree)... but the MKIII has more of what you describe as your tonal preference instead of the MKIV. The MKIV is more compressed, smoother (more like the JP2C) than any MKIII version. Or to use your analogy... the MKIII is s chainsaw... and the MKIV a butter knife. You should try a MKIII someday.

:agreed: :yoda:

NateFalcon likes this.
  18. Wizard of Ozz

Also make sure to have both your gain and presence pots pulled out on the lead channel... Both gain & presence pulled = more gain (& more high end cut). Try upping the gain to 4-5:00 too.

19. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

I think a lot of my issues are with the cab I'm using. I tried it through a bunch of cabs at work the other day and it was great. I tried a Marshall 1960A slant with G12T-75s, an older oversized Mesa 4x12 with G12H-75s, an EVH 2x12 with G12H-30s, and an EVH 4x12 with Greenbacks. They all sounded better than my Vader 2x12, but it was also in a much better room than my office at home. I liked the EVH 4x12 with Greenbacks the best.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

UHHHH Lemme just say this is one of the greatest pictures on SSO. 1 each of the greatest metal amps on earth. :lol: