Upgrade to Mesa JP2C?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by saxman42, Feb 23, 2018.

1. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

Hey Everyone,

I've been playing a Mark V 25 for the last couple of years, but I have a couple of complaints:

- It's lacking that low end punch you get from bigger amps. That said, it's damn good considering it's well under 25 W. In the end, it doesn't matter if it sounds this good, but I just figured I'd mention it.

- I really wish it had a second graphic EQ. It seems like the only way to get a big tone out of the Mark V 25 is with the graphic EQ and I don't generally want it set the same for channel 1 and channel 2.

- The mid control does next to nothing with the graphic EQ and, as mentioned above, the only good gain tones require the graphic EQ.

- The volume maxes out around 11 o'clock and just gets fizzier above that. This is more than enough for home use, but I like hearing thick power amp breakup.

I've been on the fence about upgrading to the JP2C for a while. It seems like it fix my main complaints with the Mark V 25. Can anyone who's played both chime in? Is it worth the cost to upgrade?

Thanks!

2. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

I had a lot of similar complaints with my Mark V:25, and I just recently traded a Roadster for a full sized Mark V. I can say that the Mark V is not lacking in the low end, the mid knob has a more noticeable sweep, and it technically has a separate EQ for each channel with the sliders and preset depth knobs. I find it odd that I'm using the preset EQ instead of the sliders on my channel 3 at the moment. I haven't played a JP-2C yet, but a lot of the comments I'm seeing about it compared to the Mark V is that there's a definite difference between the two amps but their differences may not be all that justifiable when switching from a Mark V to a JP-2C.

3. Vince

Vince Contributor

I'm a long-time Mesa playing, having owned a ton of different Mesa heads and rack units, and I wanted to do some experimenting last year. I own a Triple rec that I love, and I bought a Mini Rec and a V25. I found the Mini Rec nowhere near what I was looking for, however it was definitely a cool head, the V25 on the other hand is absolutely the bees knees. I tried a couple different tube configurations with it, running mullards el84s for a sweeter sound, and settling on Tung Sol el84s because I needed more headroom with my band. The v25 is an absolutely FABULOUS amplifier, and the only issues I had with it were 1) when I needed a lead boost with my band, I was out of headroom because the 25 watts just couldn't give me more even with a solo boost in the loop, and 2) I loved the IV or Extreme modes for rhythm and the IIc+ sound for lead, and I couldn't footswitch them in a song as they occupy the same channel.

I pulled the trigger on a JP2c about a month and a half ago, and honestly it's the best damn amp I've ever played. The yellow channel with a slight V EQ curve gives me my gorgeous IIc+ signing lead sound, and the red channel with the classic Mesa V EQ gives me the rhythm guitar gutteral punch of a Mark III or IV, as it's basically a slightly more aggressive version of the IIc+ lead channel. Add in the onboard tubescreamer (shred mode) and the fact it's MIDI switchable, and it's only marginally larger than the V25, and it easily replaced the V25 for me.

I played my first gig with the JP2C over the weekend, and non-guitarists were commenting on how clear my guitar tone was. So that has to say something! Now if only I could play a bit better :vince:

AkiraSpectrum and ddtonfire like this.
  4. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

That's just what I was hoping to hear. How is the JP2C at bedroom volumes?

I've also considered the PRS Archon, but I can't find one locally to play on. Have you tried that one?

BlasphemyMadeFlesh likes this.
  5. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix.

I would like to know this, and also if you guys think the Mesa JP2C is the most aggressive and tight Boogie ever made? It sure seems that way with the built in boost "shred" mode.

saxman42 likes this.
  6. Caleb Joshua

Caleb Joshua SS.org Regular

I have right next to me atm, the jp-2c and mark V each with identical mesa vertical 2x12 cabs. The pull pres is the only feature imo that makes a big difference because both amps require a boost before going into the preamp. The JP is more aggressive but only because the EQ is more powerfull.

7. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Get the JP2C. Do it know. :banana::donnie:

I used to own the MKV Full-size, and thought it was a great amp. I just prefer everything better about the JP2C... sound, features, flexibility. Win, win.

8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Pretty much. I’ve also got a few MarkIII amps that get really tight and mean too. The versatility of the JP2C puts it over the top for a single amp. It does sound great at low volumes, no worries there. The shred mode puts it over the top. I rarely use it as it does really bump the gain and tighten the low end... a lot. Lol.
    :mf666:

The volume pot on the JP2C has a larger more gradual taper... so you can put it up to 10:00-11:00 in a small room without going deaf. Try that with a Recto. Very low volume friendly amp.

9. Vince

Vince Contributor

You tell me. I had my toddler sleeping in the next room the night I recorded this little video:

10. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

That does sound nice at low volume. Thanks. Great playing, too.

Any other amps I should consider before I take the plunge? I've always been curious about Hughes and Kettner stuff, the Randall Satan, and I've heard really good things about Mesa Triple Crown as well. Does anyone have experience with those?

Also, what cabs are you all using with the JP2C? I currently have a Vader 2x12 with the stock Eminence speakers.

11. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

JP2C is a fantastic amp! I had one previously and loved it!

12. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Nice this sounds awesome, and considering can still hear the strings being strummed over the noise of the amp is incredibly quiet especially through a 4x12.

13. Vince

Vince Contributor

That should sound wonderful with the JP. I have 2 4x12s, a 90s Mesa oversized 4x12 with Celestion 30s, and the Marshall 1960a in that little video with the G12T-75 Celestions in it. The Mesa cab sounds bassier and overall better, but the Marshall sounds very good too.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  14. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

I'd assume the bossier Mesa helps balance out how tight the JP is, right? I'll definitely try the amp through my Vader before getting anything else, but I haven't been thrilled with it for my Mark V 25. I tried the Mark V 25 through an EVH 2x12 the other day and liked it much better. I'm pretty sure it had G12T-75s in it.

Have you had a chance to play a Mesa vertical 2x12? I mostly play at home and the size of that cab is more appealing to me than a 4x12.

15. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

Well, I did it. I bought the JP-2C Limited Edition #131. They're officially discontinued now, so dealers are allowed to sell them for less than the MAP. They're all selling the limited editions with a huge discount right now. I can't wait to try it out in a couple of days!

16. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Buried in the mix.

Way to go with your JP-2C; how it compares to a Triaxis (in tone, not "good vs. worse") is what I'm really curious to eventually find out about. Finest MESA in years for me.

17. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’m pretty tempted to grab one as well. The limited edition is only like $200 more than the standard; but what is the actual difference? Just the flamed facia and a signature?

18. saxman42

saxman42 SS.org Regular

The badges are also abalone (and ebony?) inlays in the maple. I think the aluminum panel around the controls is more of a gunmetal color rather than the black that goes on the standards. That's it though. It's only aesthetic changes, but it was only a $100 difference for me and seemed worth it.

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I upgraded from a V25 to a full-sized IVa and it was 100% worth it. I've heard people compare the JP to the IV (in a good way), so I can't imaging being disappointed with the upgrade. It's worth owning both IMO. The full sized ones sound great, but the small one is 80-90% of the tone while soooo much more convenient to move around.

20. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

This was killer dude. Ugh, making me want this amp!!