Unwinding Tapered Strings

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Sinistro, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Sinistro

Sinistro Member

I have a 27" scale Carvin DC800 and I just ordered a set of strings off of circle K. I was extremely frustrated to find that the taper was much to high to fit in the tuning peg. I saw some things on various threads about unwinding strings and I was wondering how to do that.

Also, where is a place I can order strings so that they will be tapered at the right spot and be the gauge I want? I was recommended to Circle K and had just assumed the strings would fit

2. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

:scratch: You mean fit through the tuner hole?

La Bella makes HRS strings to order, and since you have to input your guitar model, I'm assuming they make them the proper length. You can email/call them to check. My 8 has a Floyd so I don't have these problems since I just trim the ball end. :D

Build A Custom HRS Electric Guitar Set

3. Sinistro

Sinistro Member

Ah yes that is what I meant, I edited the post accordingly. Thanks for that catch. And thanks for that website, I will definitely buy from there in the future

4. StringTheory

StringTheory New Member

I had that same problem on my Agile 9 string. A good pair of wire strippers and needle nose pliers did the trick for me.

5. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

With my DC800s I just cut the string about 1 inch longer than the tuning peg and unwind the outer wrapping with small needle nose pliers and my fingers until it is just past the tuning peg when pulled tight, then insert the string and lock it in. Easy peasy. Been doing that with Labellas, Ernie Balls, and D'Addarios for over a year now with no issues.

6. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Do you pull the string through till the outer wrapping butts against the hole? Or do you leave some slack so the inner wrapping is the one winding on the post? And if it's the latter, do you have it so ONLY the inner wrap winds around the post, or does the outer wrap eventually wind around it too? (Hope that's clear.)

7. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

I always just do it to where it butts right up to the tuning peg or even a couple millimeters of slack. You get 3/4 to 1 full wind around the peg, which is normally what you get on the rest of the strings since its a locking tuner.

Sometimes I see people give their strings multiple winds on their locking tuners like they would on standard tuners. There is ABSOLUTELY no need for that and most people dont know that.

8. Roy

Roy 12 + 16j = 25L53,13

nice start .... but where's the rest of the explanation ?
    What do you cut ? And more important; what don't you cut ?

9. AmbienT

AmbienT User has been banned

Just cut the string an inch or two longer than the tuning peg, the string "winding" isn't attached to the core in any way besides being wrapped around it so just grab the winding with a pair of needle nose pliers then pull until it tapers to your desired length.

If my Circle K's end up arriving soon I could post some picture instructions to help you if you're still not confident with it :yesway: