Unusual Tuning Question

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Eimanatox, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Eimanatox

Eimanatox SS.org Regular

Hello all! I am fairly new to this forum, I've been lurking for a while, but haven't posted yet. Anyway, I have been playing a 7 string now for about a year or so, after having played 6 strings for 10+ years. I currently play in a band with another 6 string guitarist. He uses a 6 string, tuned to Drop A#. I want to use my 7 string, but I'm looking for another alternative to just tuning it up half a step into A#. I was thinking of tuning the 1st 6 to A#, then having a low G or perhaps an F on the bottom end. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some good advice for a tuning to use to complement his A# tuning. Also, I would like some input on string gauge choices for such a low tuning. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. kowoolo

kowoolo SS.org Regular

You might try to use a low F, that would be something like a double drop tuning (F A# F A# D# G C). This would require a massive string and might probably lead to intonation issues, depending on the scale of your 7string guitar.
    I once tuned my RG7321 (25.5 scale) to F standard with a GHS .090 string for the low F and could'nt get the intonation right without further modification... Tone and tension weren't perfect either, but it was manageable if you didn't play higher than 12th fret. :metal:

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

^ Yep that's my only suggestion if you want to try this.
    I have great experience with Circle K strings. I was able to get an 86 intonated at F# on 25.5", and an 166 intonated at F# on 35" - contrary to my experience with D'addario strings which wouldn't intonate a 70 or a 145 despite being significantly smaller gauge.
    Circle K are also cheap as hell compared, if you are looking for custom gauges or thick singles. Otherwise, a D'addario 80 might do you.

4. Eimanatox

Eimanatox SS.org Regular

Thank you both, I am using a RG7321, and I'm probably gonna go with a G. (just for the sake of intonation issues.)

5. breadtruck

breadtruck SS.org Regular

If you do tune the lowest string to G, I think the band Structures use that tuning too (low to high, G, A#, F, A#, D#, G, C)

It's not a very conventional tuning but they seem to write some pretty interesting riffs, so maybe give that a go?

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head SS.org Regular

F or D#/Eb below - gauge is dependent on your scale length and what you use now that is working.