Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

you're fully entitled to your opinion and i respect that.

that's an unpopular opinion in itself :lol:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Shhhhh......let everyone think they're special little snowflakes.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I believe I'm different.

I want to believe. :(

4. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

Someone saw the unpopular opinion puffin on Imgur or Reddit and thought it would make a great thread.

The Reality is we get guys whining about how special they are for liking small mousey women, or how they like X over Y because TheDude.jpg

Threads like this are a waste of space, and I'm surprised the mods haven't closed it since they usually don't tolerate spectacles like this.

5. asher

asher So Did We

[​IMG]

6. Grief

Grief SS.org Regular

Proclaiming "America is the best country in the world" is an anti-American statement. A true patriot would take time to evaluate why it isn't and seek to improve things.

When I used to recruit we often asked candidates "What would you do to improve this organization?" We never gave a job to anyone who said "It's all perfect already."

7. loqtrall

loqtrall Banned

Aww, c'mon, Grief, you're breaking the rules of the thread.

No personal attacks, No flame wars, No discussion.

Let us feel special, as the mods call it. There's nothing wrong with the thread, yet.

8. asher

asher So Did We

Think you got the wrong guy log?

9. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

Upon retrospect, and seeing as how I was way past my bedtime writing this, I will rephrase what I have to say.

It is true guys like Oni and a few other builders are able to make completely new designs that no larger builder can do, However, what I do not understand is based on objective qualities, how can a guitar made by said lutheir be SO much more superior than that of any current offerings out there made by other higher companies, I.E. PRS, Jackson USA, MIJ Ibanez, ESP Japan or USA, Schecter USA, Suhr, Anderson. EBMM, ect. I am more or less targeting the elitism that is a portion of the small builder market that has the "My guitar was hand made by so and so just for me so it is obviously SO much better than your guitar and yours is a POS compared to it."

Well, my guitars have good fretwork, fit and finish work, good hardware and get the job done and do it well, so Idk why some people have to look down on them ? Then again this can be said for the elitism of many people out there...

Trust me there are people like that out there and it puts a bad taste in your mouth.

There was a guy on chat last year who kept talking about how all of these CNC made guitars made in factories by bigger companies were junk and had no soul, and how his Skervesson was going to be so much better than anything else out there and how hand made guitars were SO much better than anything us poor souls had. When he finally ordered it, I have no idea how many times he later complained about their service, how they screwed up one thing or another, and how much passed the due date they were.

Ironically, a few months later I ordered a USA Production Schecter. I was quoted 4 months, it was done in one month, I was also sent progress pictures of it and the guitar came out perfectly. He was still waiting for his Skervesson even after I got mine.

I think Schecter did a bang up job, if I do say so myself...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sunyata

Sunyata Bro Story Cool

OK, this is just unacceptable...

11. TauSigmaNova

TauSigmaNova Guitarist Wannabe.

Unpopular opinions? I think jet fuel can melt steel beams.

@sunyata I just don't like it in general. I feel like adding anything extra desecrates the great flavor of bacon. :lol::lol:

12. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

While I agree with your sentiment, it's been long enough since this forum has seen the fruit these threads bear. I'm letting this one roll for the inevitable trainwreck and the lesson that goes along with it.

OR somehow this thread stays civil and everybody proves me wrong. ;)

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I don't see how you are being objective at all. The fact that everyone wants different things out of a guitar means that the nature of judging cusom work is mostly subjective anyway.

If someone saying that they like their custom built guitar from a small custom shop is elitist, then saying that all small shops are bullshit is mindless bandwaggoning.

If I went to Schecter in 2006 and said "Hey guys, build me a 2 pound eight string multiscale guitar," they would have laughed at me. I even had gone to Parker a couple times asking about such a thing, and the response I got, at first, was that it was not physically possible, then, once I proved to them that it was physically possible, they said that I wouldn't be able to afford such custom work.

Now, is my eight string Oni the best guitar in the world? I think so, but I think that's my opinion, so I fully expect other people not to think so. And I'm not saying that your average small builder can build a guitar better than Ibanez, either, I'm just saying that making bold blanket claims without a thorough knowledge base about something is arrogant and misguided. Judging all small business guitar manufacturers by the work of three specific firms (two of which I've actually played with my own hands, and one of which I thought was actually just as good as any big name prestige ticket guitar/although the other was crappy, IMO) would be like judging all small restaurants by visiting three delis in Queens.

Perhaps I am being overly argumentative, which I apologize, but I see a lot of snide remarks here and there bashing all small builders categorically, and your just happened to be fully transparent.

By the way, stating an opinion gracefully goes something like: "I don't like blah blah," or "I think that blah should blah," not in the form "Blah needs to stop, because the quality sucks compared to blah."

14. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

-Anything above a C cup is a turn-off.
    -If you lift, but don't do legs, I genuinely think you're an inferior person, regardless of how strong your upper body is.
    -Face tattoos, when positioned correctly, aren't that bad
    -99% of djent guitarists are hacks
    -I am in, and support the military, which seems to be unpopular these days :lol:

15. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

+ On the military support. Thank you for your service. I am going to the recruiter tomorrow to talk about enlisting, so I am excited!

16. asher

asher So Did We

+1

also, remined by an earlier post:

I HATE Claudio's vocals (Coheed & Cambria).

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

And I was starting to think you were cool. :(

18. Alice AKW

Alice AKW Wolf Ninja

I love claudio's voice.

Then again I like Spencer Sotelo's as well xD

19. asher

asher So Did We

:lol:

Well, actually, I should get a little more specific: his voice itself sounds fine (I love Cedric from TMV, after all...), but it's just how he uses his breathing to do inflections. I just can't. Irrational pet peeve.

Because I'd probably like their music a whole bunch otherwise, too.

I do love me some Sponce.

20. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Dimebag Darrel seemed like he was a cool dude, but I think he was a terrible guitar player with awful tone.