Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Like most genres, a few winners a whole lot of losers.

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Following one of the hot threads in Extended Range, people should only give money to builders to build them a guitar after the builder has proven that they can build the guitars that they're supposed to build.

Sounds like an obvious & intuitive thing, but it's apparently not. People keep wringing their hands over the ever-growing list of sketchy builders while this obsession over being an early-adopter ensures that this grift will continue indefinitely.

In what other market does shit like this happen? Video games on Kickstarter? Oof.

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Gotta get them low serial numbers so they can become the next über-flipper.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Also, how does a builder prove themselves if nobody will order anything? Someone's got to take that risk first.
    It won't be me. But someone. :lol:

AxeHappy and Demiurge like this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

Builders flourished before the age of buying sight unseen online. It was just harder. You had to go to trade shows and expos, not just NAMM, but the regional ones. You had to persue artists in the local music scenes, and have clinics at local retailers. It was an incremental thing.

All that grinding lead builders to improve and hone thier craft, and weed out the shoddy ones who were just looking to make a quick buck.

The "zero to 60" thing is just too risky, as the numerous failed builders has shown. I can think of double digits just within the confines of this small niche website.

XPT707FX and TedEH like this.
  6. PunkBillCarson

My only thing is, I don't even know where to go for a custom. There's so many builders these days, it's honestly difficult to keep track. I don't know who the best bang for buck would be either considering everyone's got a certain price point and I don't know if there's builders out there that do really good stuff for around 1,500 and below.

7. MaxOfMetal

There's no such thing as "bang for buck" with custom guitars. They're kind of the antithesis of it.

If you want a high quality instrument, there are plenty of production guitars that will be cheaper and play great.

Really, custom stuff is all about paying 50% more for that extra 5% that a production guitar doesn't satisfy.

AxeHappy and TedEH like this.
  8. PunkBillCarson

So basically, if I can find the specs I want on a mass production guitar, then a custom really isn't worth the money unless I have to have a certain thing that others don't provide?

AxeHappy likes this.
  9. MaxOfMetal

Bingo!

AxeHappy and Mathemagician like this.
  10. PunkBillCarson

Man that honestly kind of sucks... :lol: There is no way in HELL I would could ever justify to my wife a Daemoness guitar, which would be my guitar of choice given their options. Guitars for me are less about looks, but if there's someone who could do Lovecraftian, I feel like they could nail it, along with a 7 string version and black winters. Guess I better start saving pennies if I really want it. Other than that, it looks like I'm stuck in the sub-1k range. :lol:

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

In the US that’s the upper end of Agile and “Kiesels in solid color finishes with no crazy stuff” territory. That’s about it. That budget will go pretty far on the used market, but new in 2019 that’s often the higher end of MIK/MII territory from many SSO loved brands.

Yep. It’s always about the economics. If a $1500 guitar has everything you want except say color, it would likely cost ~$3-400 to have someone reputable repaint it for you. Versus ordering the exact same thing as a $4000 custom.

I paid $1500 for my JP7. Its bae. It’d be hard to justify paying $4k+ just because I want it in neon pink. (Assuming they would do it, etc).

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

the whole point of custom is to get something that you can't normally find on production guitars. Which is exactly why I have an 8 string explorer with a katalox neck :lol:

A-Branger likes this.
  13. Mathemagician

I got chewed out by basement dwellers when I commented something similar. “You don’t know what you’re talking about!” Etc.

...Yeah bro how’s that new guitar play?

By comparison that Russian luthier who has awesome designs regularly closes his waitlist due to desire to manage volume. Set reasonable expectations and go from there imo.

14. PunkBillCarson

You can get a JP7 for 1,500? Don't those normally go for around a thousand more or so?

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

padalka is doing luthiery the smart, ethical way. that's how other good custom shops like carillion/daemoness/waghorn/etc work, they know they can only do a certain number of builds at a time.

16. MaxOfMetal

They used to, back when you could get a more basic model. You can still find them used. Search for "unloaded" or "base" JP7s (or JP6).

That's without matching headstock, shield inlays or Piezo, and the colors are somewhat limited.

17. PunkBillCarson

Ground turkey is better than ground beef.

18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

They can at least complete a few builds first, sell them as "in stock"- perhaps see how that goes before opening a modest semi-custom program. Walk before you run. On the other hand, how many guitars did Decibel complete before the orders piled-in? A couple prototypes, it looks like. Even in that Abasi thread, one of the things that the dude who decided to go into business with Frank Falbo in the first place remarked after-the-fact was the paucity of experience building solidbody guitars that may have been an issue. Ye gods.

19. Mathemagician

I got it used about two years ago, matte black no piezo no shields. Fantastic instrument and no complaints. But yeah, not likely to see a cool sparkly blue one with gold hardware below $2.2k+

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  20. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

They gotta do it the old fashioned way, invest some of their own time and money, build some guitars and sell those. Then build a few more...

Luthiers used to prove themselves by building first and selling second, not selling first and maybe building sometime in the future...

tedtan likes this.