Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

What the hell is this? Discrimination is overstated because it happened to lots of people?

2. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

I’m basically the biggest slave, but one of you guys can fight for 2nd place.

3. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Yes, a slave to your failed attempts at humor. Kinda like a gambling addict - just one more time and maybe you’ll land one. Yet here we are.

Andrew Lloyd Webber likes this.
  4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I like my small phone (iphone SE)

dont get why a phone has to be huge. I want to be able to fit it in my pocket and be able to walk, like it should be. Hate that stupid trend of "bigger is better"... its not practical!!, get a fricking tablet if you need "more"

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Same with cars these days too.

Everyone wants crossovers and SUVs, and trucks are just enormous now.

Ordacleaphobia and A-Branger like this.
  6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yup, exactly!, every single new model always has to be "bigger" for a stupid reason, specially on the 4wd world that I like. I keep seeing the really old models like "why they didnt left it like that, it was perfect", now the new model its 5 ton heavier/bigger

I drive a small 2door suzuki Jimny (you guys didnt get it there), and its perfect. Best thing, the new model its the same size :) they updated the body but it seems they kept the same chassis, So Im pretty happy about it as I was looking to replace it soon

I thikn the Wranglers are the other 4wd that has keep a decent size, even when the JK range was bigger than the previous models

7. MaxOfMetal

I'm so freaking jealous!

I want one of those new Jimnys so bad.

I somewhat "collect" Jeep XJs. Those were like the perfect size and configuration for daily driving. I have a 2D Wrangler too, but I only tend to drive it in the fall and winter.

I am in something of a glass house though as I also drive a giant XK Commander, but that's mainly to transport dogs.

8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Fuck SUVs/4WDs/Utes. Unless you're a tradesman, live on a farm or own a boat there is zero fucking need or justification. They are the penis extenders of penis extenders.

"But I have xyz to carry/haul-" Just fucking no. Buy a van or learn how to drive with a fucking trailer. The amount of jacked 4WDs around here that get driven 10-15min on smooth, flat asphalt to a cooperate office job and back via the local super market is horseshit.

9. MaxOfMetal

I agree on the super lifted stuff, but I work with a handful of dog rescues and need the climate controlled space in back for kennels and carriers.

I had a panel van (E150) for a little bit, and honestly I get better mileage in the old Jeeps.

Obviously a trailer wouldn't be conducive for what I do.

10. Vyn

You've got a valid use case. I'm more having a "I haven't had a coffee all day and I need to rip into a user group that doesn't conform with my ideals" rant.

AxeHappy likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

No reason to justify, I agree with most of what you're saying.

The whole Brodozer thing is not my cup of tea.

I was actually a little disappointed how big the new Ranger is. Really hoping the new Bronco isn't a barge.

AxeHappy and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  12. Vyn

Brodozer, that's beautiful. Going to start using that now!

If there's anything I've noticed with current manufacturing trends is that chassis' are staying around the same dimensions but due to increased safety requirements, there's a lot more body to crumple. We did a study in uni on the old Toyota Camrey sedans, each new revision was significantly wider as more ADRs (Australian Design Rules, I'm guessing America has some equivalent) came into play.

AxeHappy likes this.
  13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I don't like phones getting bigger all the time either - I just bought a Honor 9 Lite a couple of months ago and I basically couldn't carry anything bigger around. I also pretty much exactly reach the furthest corner with my thumb when using it one handed.

Phones have a "one handed mode" these days too, and I think that's bullshit. It just shrinks the usable area into a corner so you can reach it - if you're gonna do that, you might as well have a smaller phone that's more convenient in many other ways too IMO.
    I get that a bigger screen is nice to have when you're sitting around at home, but then you could just be using a tablet like someone pointed out...

As for cars, I prefer hatchbacks because of the convenience. I need to have 4 doors because of the kids but other than that I just want my car to be as small as possible, since for starters it's a lot easier to parallel park (which I'm pretty good at by the way) and in general when driving in the city you don't have to worry about fitting somewhere with it. And since it's a hatchback, the trunk is pretty big too so I can easily lug my daughter's stroller around in there and still don't need to worry about groceries fitting in there for example. I also have a trailer hook (or whatever it's called in English...) so if I need to transport something I can just rent a trailer for 20€ a day.
    I get why older people would like SUV's though - the sitting position is just easier to get into and out of. But generally people could certainly do with small cars. Most people living in cities don't even need cars at all...

I play music likes this.
  14. Vyn

Learning to dial an amp is more important than choosing the right pickups

15. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Trying to install and get Linux to work is like buying a car that you have to assemble yourself, receiving all parts in separate boxes and having no manual.

Ordacleaphobia and Randy like this.
  16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I don't agree - there is usually a very detailed manual if you just know to look it up. It does take a bit of reading and trial and error (+ getting used to the fact that it isn't Windows or macOS and therefore works differently), but it's definitely not comparable to assembling a car. I personally use Arch Linux every day at work (because I've found it to be the most efficient platform to develop Android apps on) and yes, that took a long time to "assemble" the first time, but for example Ubuntu is pretty much as easy to install and run as Windows.

... so I'm gonna counter this with this opinion:

CLI applications are superior to GUI applications.

r33per and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Lat time I installed linux on something, it was easier than a Windows install. Ubuntu was literally just: put USB stick in, restart, keep hitting enter until it's installed.
    ...getting the tools I needed setup and doing something useful was a whole other story though. Makefiles make my brain hurt for some reason.

Honestly I find Macs to be the worst OS to work with in terms of everything just being a pain for not-very-good-reasons.

Depending on context though. I find that I prefer to use the CLI app when the alternative is one of a bunch of fancy third-party tools that just wrap the functionality of original tool in a new and not-very-predictable way. See: Git vs. SourceTree vs Kraken vs. etc etc.

On the subject of large phones, I find that I prefer my phone to be large because my use case is that I use it for media-> youtube, games, etc., moreso than for phone calls or anything like that.
    BUT- while I prefer larger screens, I think the quality of the screen takes precedence. I would take a small, but good, screen over one that's large but ugly. Example: The gameboy micro (tiny but good screen) vs the SP 001 (bigger screen, but it's poorly lit which ruins the experience).

18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Git is one of the things I prefer using a GUI for, really. But I use it inside the IDE, definitely not through some separate app. And yeah, I couldn't imagine reading emails in a terminal, that's for sure :lol:

And yeah, Macs can be a bit of a pain in the ass, although from a developer standpoint the good part is that homebrew pretty much has you covered. The annoying part is when stuff breaks due to OS/Xcode/whatever updates. I would never use a different OS on a laptop though - the battery life is just so much better.
    I would really say Windows is the worst though - for example Python development (which our backend guys do a fair bit of) is a total pain in the ass on that side. It's not uncommon that they have to modify packages and compile them by hand to get them running on Windows, whereas the same stuff could just be installed using pip on macOS and Linux :lol:

19. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Agreed. I'm so glad the Xs Max is "only" bigger. I've only got the past bigger versions when they had things like better cameras, so I'm happy to stick with the normal Xs this time.

20. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I miss that life.
    When my Nexus 5 broke a few years back I bought the Nexus 6 because since I loved my Nexus 5, the 6 must be even better, right? Wrong.
    I hate this piece of shit. It's GIGANTIC. I have pants where I literally cannot fit the phone in my pocket it is so big. But you know, sunk cost fallacy, so here I am...3+ years later, still daily driving a phone that makes me absolutely see red.

I needed this today. Thanks Max. :lol:

I want to like Linux, I really do. The installation is pretty painless imo, and actually using what you have isn't bad either; but like Ted mentioned...it's getting what you need that kind of sucks. I used Kali and Debian when I was in uni and they were great for what I was using them for, but if I wanted to do anything else on those machines outside of schoolwork it was a disaster. And given it's what, 2% (?) market share, I would say this is not an unpopular opinion :lol:

I also definitely agree with the notion of MacOS being the worst. Which is a major bummer because Logic is by far my favorite DAW but there's no way I'm buying a mac JUST for a DAW because lord knows I wouldn't use it for anything else.