Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

I don't think many kids use radio hardly at all, it's almost 100% spotify, google music, apple music, youtube and sound cloud. Radio is for old people, and I've noticed over the years the top "40" has been shrinking to a top 15. As more people leave radio, radio keeps trying to cater to their smaller audience, and that audience wants very a very specific narrow selection of music. While you'd think that having millions of artists on a digital service would increase listening diversity, I think it's the opposite. The algorithms they use to suggest music is always based on the music you've already told them you like and won't deviate much from that. The popular music now is mostly vocal and electronic based, so you're not going to get many suggestions for music with long instrumental sections. This feeds into the first part of your statement, it's not that non-musicians don't care about music style but rather since the popular music styles don't involve instruments people see no need to learn to play them.

Now for a related unpopular opinion (generally unpopular, I don't think this board counts as "popular"): I hate streaming music. I don't mind listening to stuff on youtube when I'm at home, but I like my mp3 players god damnit! Phones are already so expensive I don't want to wear out my battery even sooner than it already will be and I don't want to have to charge it 3 times a day. Since music streaming is now the most popular form of listening it's so hard to find a decent mp3 player. I don't want whatever music service tracking the music I listen to so they can sell my data, I don't want another company with my credit card info, I don't want them to tell me what I should listen to, I don't want to download a cancerous app that wants permission to read my text messages, I don't want advertisements in my ears or on my screen, and I want to actually keep the music I pay for! If you cancel your spotify subscription all the music is suddenly gone and you're left with nothing, screw that. I pay for it, I keep it for life; and based off reports anyone who isn't a current popstar is getting literally a hundredth of a penny in commissions anyways, so it's not as if I'm helping any bands I listen to by subscribing.

bostjan likes this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Do you know about Google Play Music? It lets you upload your own library. It's a free service like gmail or google drive. I uploaded my big ass metal library to Google Play and then I can play it wherever I go, whatever next phone I get. When I buy music from Google Play, it adds it to my library, and I can potentially download it onto any device I log in to. Whenever I'm at the airport before I get on the plane, I just tap a bunch of albums to download and then I'll have them even without internet connection.

Yes, it also offers a paid subscription service, but you don't have to sign up for it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    JoshuaVonFlash likes this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Lots of valid criticism of streaming, although:
    a bit on the paranoid side. :lol: Any random app can't just read your text messages unless you've given it permission to do so. The paid version of Spotify (and I imagine other services) eliminates the ads, so that's also a help.

I agree about the loss of control of the music though. There's lots of stuff I like that just disappears from Spotify for months at a time. Stuff I'd listen to on regular rotation that is just suddenly inaccessible to me for no real reason. Drives me nuts.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, at least according to the rules.

In the old days, it was the quickest way for someone to get perma'd.

That's very insightful. Growing up, I knew tons of metal heads, and just about everyone played an instrument, at least casually. Now it seems that kids are a little less interested in band and significantly less interested in being in a band a couple years later. Nobody really has a piano in their house anymore, and ~70-80% of the musicians I know are older than I am. I feel like I was right at the tail end of a generation who held a much higher appreciation for music. I think appreciation shifted with millennials from music more toward video games, so you have a lot of older millennials holding video game music especially dear, and younger millennials a little more into a very limited scope of music. I think my peers were less interested in visual arts, or at least fine arts, and that seems to have made a little more of a comeback - so it's all just shifting landscapes of priorities.

But then we still have this site going strong after so many years, so there are still plenty of younger adults and teens getting into guitar-oriented music, probably even roughly the same amount that get really into it, just a lot less general interest.

And my interest in pop music has steadily declined over the years, probably peaking around 1985 or so. :lol: I do think that Bruno Mars guy is pretty damned talented as a singer, and Ed Sheeran seems like he's got a skill set of singing, writing, and playing, for which I can give him mad props, but then stuff like what people were posting in here as examples of 2018 pop music were all really, well, let's just say stuff I cannot get into at all ever. The two guys I mentioned, I'm sure, by now, are old news.

I mean, if an app is asking for permission to your entire phone, which some of them do, I tend to uninstall before I get past the permission screen. Maybe I'm paranoid, too, but I don't know what people are trying to access.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Somewhat related, I got one of these for work and it's great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9GZHK1/?tag=sevenstringorg-20

Through a spare 128gb card in and I'm set.

iamaom likes this.
  6. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Just listened to The Morning After by Ratt on Youtube. It's good, but it's not the kind of music that you'd play in a stadium or on a movie. I was frankly quite surprised at the tone. It sounds like they finished Round and Round, then started Morning After without changing a single setting.

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I like that song :)

8. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Totino's Pizza Rolls truly suck ass.

You may think that your kids are cute, smart, and funny. No one else does.

If you let your dog bark constantly then It's not a fucking "watchdog" and you are an asshole.

You sound like a complete moron when you say "these ones/ those ones". It's "these" or "those"... done.

Tech Wrath likes this.
  9. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

But what if I'm asking someone to bring me some mixed money from across the room and I only want the one dollar bills?

10. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I can't stand guitars without fret inlays, especially ERGs.
    a.jpg

Mathemagician likes this.
  11. bostjan

Side markers are for you. Inlays are for everyone else to see what you are playing. If I'm playing in a band and someone else in the band needs to see exactly what I'm playing, it had better be when we are first learning the song; otherwise, someone didn't do homework. I'm not going to stand still facing the guitarist/bass player at a gig so that he or she can follow along, unless it's an impromptu jam or open mic night or something. :lol:

lurè likes this.
  12. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

It looks very uninspiring when guitarists hold their pick hand like a fist while playing.

r33per likes this.
  13. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

Trashy parenting, Ie: Bringing your kids to the bar/brew pub...WTF?? Maybe a West-coast thing...? Having to listen to people deal with their kids in public is bad enough...bringing your rat-babies to the brew pub at 9:00 pm and trying to sit in the bar area is not cool. Please take your shit-hook kids where adults aren’t trying to have a good time...I’m not gonna watch my cursing while you get buzzed in front of your kids and act like you’re a good parent...

14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

You're joking right? People actually do that shit?

NateFalcon likes this.
  15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I feel ya there. I don't think its bad song. its just about 2.30 too long for what it is

NateFalcon and Mathemagician like this.
  16. bostjan

In the Detroit area in the 1990's and early 2000's, I saw it fairly often. Most bars wouldn't allow kids to be there after 9 or 10 PM, but there were a few that played really loose with the rules as long as a parent was present. I remember once getting a complaint that our band was too loud for someone's little kid's ears, to which our singer shouted over the mic "Yer in a bar! Get yer kid home and put in bed!"

17. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I was on vacation last week and the wife & I wanted to cap it off with dinner at a very upscale steakhouse. Not longer after being seated, a party is sat next to us with a kid.

Granted, the kid had a tablet with whatever playing on it and didn't make a peep. But, there was nothing on the menu remotely appealing to a child, and the cost of a babysitter is probably the same price a couple glasses of wine. Why drag the kid out to a place like that?

NateFalcon and AxeHappy like this.
  18. NateFalcon

Not straight up bars, but here (Portland, OR) brew-pubs are popular everywhere and the “law” lets hipster parents’ kids sit in the bar area till 9 pm...5-...15 yr old kids with dyed hair, face rings etc...not that I’m so judgmental, but when it gets to be every brewpub and restaurant I go to, and the demographic is “progressive” families that don’t discipline their own kids (yelling and flailing) while they tell everyone around them to not curse and watch the adult topics...that’s BS. It’s a Northwest thing. People with weird hair and tattoos on their faces like to push laws past what’s considered decent behavior just to get a reaction out of people and then play the “I’m being bullied” card. It’s annoying.

Mathemagician and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

To put it in the brash words of some dude on Twitter, the Pacific Northwest is a bit of a "shithole."

NateFalcon likes this.
  20. NateFalcon

Shithole people...here, bad moral fiber is on the vegan menu

Spaced Out Ace likes this.