Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire All black guitars are cancer

I don't like stuff that drags on for that long with no real progression. If there's melodic progression then I'm cool with it. I don't really listen to 'drone music" but I do listen to a fair amount of doom/post rock and both of those incorporate droning to an extent. Mostly I just hate that song, it's boring as hell.

2. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Tool is a very overrated band. That being said, I do like them, just not to the degree that most people seem to.

Descent, Ebony and vilk like this.
  3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I really, really enjoy Lateralus from start to finish and am interested literally nothing else. Actually, I must admit I never listened to 10,000 days. I'd heard it was more like pre-Lateralus, which is why I never took the effort to listen.

Descent and auxioluck like this.
  4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I like Tool's music a lot, but I'm just minimum-amount frustrated that their output is sparse. They're the artists and they can do what they want when they want, but I refuse to ascribe their snail-pace writing to their "mystique".

The new album is supposedly coming out next year. If I don't like it, I'll have to be resigned to the likelihood that if they make another one, by the time it comes out I will be in my 40s, I will likely be living & working in another state, and the pets I have will have died of old age.

auxioluck likes this.
  5. auxioluck

Totally agreed. From what I understand, their writing process is to basically record long jam sessions, then listen to the sessions and pick out parts they like and write songs based on those parts. I honestly don't know if it's true, but the person who told me was a Tool fanatic, so I didn't have a reason to doubt him too much. And don't get me wrong, that's a perfectly fine way to compose music (if that's the case), but I just don't feel like that or the slow album releases justify the attention they get as being some kind of prodigal band. I mean hell, my drum teacher in high school gave Danny Carey drum lessons and I got to meet him through her. Super cool guy, but there really isn't anything mind-blowing or mysterious about what they do as band in my opinion. I put them in the same mental compartment as I do other rock bands.

Ironically, when I've talked to people who are gushing over things like Tool's time signature changes, and I've suggested a band like Dream Theater, there have been times where I've just been blown off. And maybe this is another case of fans ruining a band for me. I fully admit that has happened multiple times to me, and it's totally a personal thing.

6. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Never got into Tool for the same reason I never got into Bob Marley- always assumed you needed to smoke weed to truly appreciate it... cause everyone I knew who listened to them sure did.

xzacx and Descent like this.
  7. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

It's probably because really Tool doesn't sound like anyone else, nor do anyone else sound like them. You can add time signatures to any kind of music, it doesn't mean they'll sound alike. Tool are where they are at for a reason and it's because their releases are worth waiting years for unlike other bands I could name at this point and time.

8. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Either that or they’re not.

AxeHappy likes this.
  9. auxioluck

Agree to disagree; I personally was more excited for Sikth's new album than I ever have been about a Tool album.

10. PunkBillCarson

I wouldn't know. I've never heard Sikth.

11. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I'm actually beginning to acquire a taste for free-form Jazz.

I blame Sonny Sharrock.

12. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

My oversimplified take:

Aenima = Heart
    Lateralus = Brains
    10,000 Days = Somewhere between those, but probably closer to the latter

Just MHO, of course.

vilk likes this.
  13. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

That's the way Rush has worked for decades. Neil sits in his space writing lyrics, Alex & Geddy jam to produce ideas, then they see what fits with the lyrics handed off by Neil.

Alex's solos are created the same way. He lays-down about four tracks of ideas, they create the solo on the editing board, then Alex learns the solo.

And there are songs where Alex and/or Geddy get drum writing credits because they came-up with something that was nearly complete with a drum machine, and Neil learns/polishes what they created.

14. PunkBillCarson

This is old news given for when the guitar was released, but I've got to be the only one who dug the finish on the LTD BK-600. I personally like it.

15. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Being a fan of Dr. Who, I don't think I'll ever be a fan of Christopher Eccleston's Doctor, because it feels like he just did one season, said "f- this", and then jumped ship while giving the bird. Even his reasons for leaving were pretty crap, considering that regardless, he's going to be best known for that role anyways.

16. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

I hate breakfast in bed with a burning passion. Why?

1. It's a stupid romantic clichè
    2. Like most people in the civilized world, I have chairs and a table
    3. Sitting in bed is fucking uncomfortable
    4. You have to prepare everything to a tee so by the time you're in bed, everything on the plate is either too cold, too warm and/or too dry
    5. The tray wobbles so you can't place anything to drink on it
    6. You get crumbs EVERYWHERE in bed
    7. Said crumbs are IMPOSSIBLE to remove unless you vacuum the sheet or change it

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Mathemagician likes this.
  17. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

I don't like breakfast at all. I like breakfast food sure, but i wake up feeling physically ill every morning and it doesn't wear off till almost lunch time.

BIG ND SWEATY and Ebony like this.
  18. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

It varies for me, but 90% of the time I'm in the same boat.

19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

same sometimes, like I dont mind traditional "breakfast" food. But put me on a hotel for a week and I would hate their stupid morning menu/buffet with a passion by day 2-3.

nothing like last night pizza for breakfast mmmmmmm

Ebony likes this.
  20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Some early Chevelle sounded a little like Tool, but Tool is pretty unique.

I was at the peak of my music consumerism when Tool was new in the national spotlight with Undertow. Back in 1993-1994, though, there were a lot of bands with extremely unique sound; even bands that fit into strict categories like "grunge" all sounded unique in ways.

I was also alive and actually paying attention to MTv when Green Jellÿ released the now-forgotten "Three Little Pigs" claymation video: Dana Carey was the drummer for the band, and the three little pigs, IIRC, were Les Claypool, Maynard James Keenan, and Pauly Shore. Full on 90's!

Anyway, I really don't think music these days is anywhere near as good, in general, as it was in 1993-4, not because music now sucks across the board, but because the music to which mainstream people are regularly exposed has no flavour in it anymore. Back then, bands like Tool and Primus were well known. Nowadays bands with unique sound seem to go largely unnoticed, and mainstream audiences seem to get much more aggressive toward music that doesn't fit their expectations, rather than just calmly saying "that's fine, but it ain't my thang." So...it's more the culture nowadays than the music. And that's my crotchety opinion: today's mainstream culture is stupid.

AxeHappy likes this.