Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Heineken does that to peoples...

2. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

The term "overrated" lost all meaning for me when I discovered music that, by the standards of average human ears, doesn't qualify as anything but atonal noise, yet, under the guise of "free-form artistic expression," or some shit, it still manages to find fans.

What do Sonic Youth do, write actual songs? Yeah I can see a good number of people getting behind that...

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Never had any interest to listen to Sonic Youth, and probably never will.

r33per likes this.
  4. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Ever heard of "prepared piano"?

5. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I personally don't see how a band can be "overrated" when their name is hardly ever spoken/typed, or do I just exist in a reality where everyone else talks about them but me and I just happen to not be around when that happens?

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I love weird-ass music. Honestly love it. I used to think that other people only didn't love it because they had not yet heard of it, so I had to share it with everyone. It took me a few years to realize that pretty much everyone hates weird music just as passionately as I love it. Oh well.

I have to laugh at all this talk about the Sonic Youth. Probably the most attention that band has received since the 1990's.

Like I'm going to come in here and say something about how Hansen was a shitty band when they were more popular but then they got better once people no longer cared. (I guess I just did :lol: ) Nothing wrong with that, but it just seems like an incredibly random thing to say.

7. PunkBillCarson

I guess what I listen to is deemed weird where I live, but not so much here. I'll be willing to bet that in the small hick-ass town I live in, I'm the only one who's heard of Alcest and Wolves in the Throne Room. Here, those two bands scratch the surface of what's really out there, or so I would assume. I'm also a fan of Greg Puciato's The Black Queen and Chino Moreno's Crosses side projects, so there's that also.

8. PunkBillCarson

I guess in the spirit of the time being, am I the only one who has never really given a damn about Star Wars?

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ I'm sure you're not the only one.
    I was surprised to see this morning that liking the recent film is apparently an unpopular opinion.

Lots of people don't care about Star Wars. But like any big franchise, some of those who do care.... maybe they care a little too much.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

On this forum we spend weeks speculating about whether a new finish will be appearing on a new line. Everyone cares about their own hobbies way too much. Lol. It’d Be weird if one didn’t.

AxeHappy likes this.
  11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

There's a big difference though between speculating about new guitar colours, and tearing a media franchise and it's creators down because you're not 100% satisfied with the direction they took it. Nobody goes "you made a green guitar instead of a blue one! You're a disgrace to the name you represent and have ruined the company's legacy!" (Or at least I hope nobody does that.)

My point is less that people do it, but more that I don't think anyone recognizes the impact of their criticism. Could be a movie or a game or a guitar or whatever else, hundreds of people worked, probably for years, probably long hours, creating these technical and artistic feats, to get told that it was worthless, or not up to to expectations, or whatever else have you. Tons of people poured themselves into it, and will be rewarded by their work getting dismissed on terms they had no control over. And it's a difficult place to be in. Even some smaller projects, whether they deserve the criticism or not, are super painful to be on the receiving end of that criticism.

When I look at a movie, something like Star Wars, I know very well that there are hundred of small victories, tons of tiny innovations, things that took a huge amount of time and thought and effort and manpower and passion, etc., to pull off, and I can see that even through the weaker parts of the film that people want to tear apart. Maybe it's not *my* ideal Star Wars, or my ideal guitar, or book or video game, or whatever, but it's almost definitely the result of someone's passion and effort - and I wish more people appreciated things on that level.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

it's probably because there's a pretty big indie scene in Minneapolis and I hear shitty local bands name drop sonic youth/the local alternative staion plays them on occasion. I've hated them ever since one of my friends in high school tried to get me into them (his 2 favorite bands were sonic youth and mushroomhead). Given the choice I'd rather listen to bands that can do the noise rock thing in a more aurally pleasing form like silversun pickups/mogwai/a lot of the post rock bands like Explosions in the sky/russian circles/god is an astronaut. The local alternative station once played a 15 minute song by Low where it was literally just feedback/droning. I put it on par with John cage/this argentinean classical guitarist I watched play as some of the worst "music" in existence. You have to legitimately try hard to make music that hideous. I have nothing against dissonance/atonality but I think it works best when peppered in on occasion, not trying to build whole songs around it. Stravinsky/Rachmaninoff are some great examples of using justttt enough dissonance to make you feel uncomfortable (ie the firebird suite by stravinsky).

Mathemagician and AxeHappy like this.
  13. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I just listened to Sonic Youth's #1 song on Spotify it's fucking wretched.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

+1 for silver sun pickups and Russian circles

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Sold. I gotta look this up now. Never heard of Low!

16. KnightBrolaire

I like the band but that song fucking blows, it's actually nearly 30 minutes of droning:

vilk likes this.
  17. vilk

vilk Very Regular

30min isn't super crazy in the grand scheme of drone

My favorite track off Earth 2 is over 30 minutes (Like Gold And Faceted)

Just as a reference, do you even like "drone music"? lol sorry I can't tell if you're not a fan of it in general or if you like it but just dislike this song.

edit: Officially claiming The Grand Scheme of Things for my album title. You guys can't have it. It's mine!

edit2: dammit Steve Howe beat me to it

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

crowd looks so amuzed by it.

"Hi Im the new bass player, do you have the charts of the songs?"
    "its jsut one song for the whole gig"
    "cool"
    "here"
    Tabs:

-----------F#----------

I really feel sorry for both the FOH engineer of the day, and the film crew. But even worse for the poor guy who had to sit down and edit the footage. The crowd choose to be there, these people dont. Poor souls :p hahaha

Ebony likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

except for the fact that the local indie radio station that runs that youtube channel is also the one that books artists for that festival every year. They were dickriding Low so hard just because they're from duluth, minnesota and acted like that song was so amazing. Nobody was expecting them to come out and basically say fuck you to the audience by playing one boring 28 minute song.

20. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular