Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

You didn't see that 'conspiracy theory thread' where dudeman was gettin his panties twisted because he wanted to believe it so badly?

There's at least one user on SSO who would probably like to attend that conference, and not just for the laffs

cwhitey2 likes this.
  2. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1.

B movies they are called. Trash to many. Cult classics to the dedicated. I hear ya, man. Ya gotta throw The Mutilator (1984) and Xtro (1982) in there, too.

bostjan likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

... I've been there also... actually, I think it would be better to post this vid there, but some how I opened this thread instead... which isn't wrong I think...

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Oh no, please, please don't start that topic in this thread... :eek:

Anyone else think it's stupid these days how many scams there are targetting musicians?! I mean, ever time I release something, I get flooded with these people contacting me who want me to pay them money to review my new release. The thought that I pay money to make something, then give it to you for free, then pay you to listen to it and then probably tell me it's not what you like anyway... and these guys always are from a publication I've never ever heard of before, but they assure me that they have hundreds of thousands of followers. The optimist in me wants to think these are legitimate, and it's just how they cover some of their overhead, but I'm convinced it's all a scam, because the optimist in me was long ago tied to a chair and tortured with his mouth sewn shut by the much more powerful pessimist inside of me. :lol:

AxeHappy and Ebony like this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Seems like as soon as you put anything publicly out there, you become a target for stuff. Have a domain name? You get sketchy SEO offers. Put music out there? Sketchy music-related offers.

LinkedIn seems like a waste of time- it opens the doors for recruiters to bother you, gives you another facebook-like environment to try to manage, more opportunities for people to spam you with their nonsense (and it's never good nonsense like bands spamming you with things you might actually want to hear), and seems like another avenue for "sketchy offers" to find you.

bostjan and Ebony like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Motel Hell is one of my favorites besides Evil Dead. You should check Toxic Avenger/all the old Troma films if you've never seen em, they're good stupid fun.

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Don't forget C.H.U.D. :lol:

My fav ___ of the Living Dead movies were the lesser known ones... Land (w/ John Leguizamo) and Diary (Cloverfield-esque).

Rosal76, bostjan and watson503 like this.
  8. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Oh. You can't forget Eye 'n Eye, the "Ras-Tafari"

9. bostjan

At one point in time, I owned about half of their catalogue. Some of them were very difficult to track down. I love what you get when you mix up high art with trash and have very talented people shoot it on a budget of a quarter million (which might sound like a lot to some, but, think about it, it's 1/1000th the cost of most Hollywood movies)

10. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I think my favorite B-Movie of all time is Split Second. AKA: "Rutger Hauer is a badass for an hour and a half"

11. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1.

That's Dario Argento movies is a nutshell. IMHO, he is one of the best directors to combine high art and trash in movies. Everytime I finish watching one of his movies, I can't decide whether to put it (mentally) next to my classics like, "The Exorcist" and "Dawn of the dead (1978)" or put it in the trash.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  12. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

From the movie, when one of the C.H.U.D. monsters is trying to get into Lauren's apartment.

Lauren yelling out of her apartment window: "Somebody help me!!!"

Guy across the street: "Call the Ghostbusters".

:guns: :fawk::flex::rofl:

For some reason, they cut the "Call the Ghostbusters" part in some versions of the movie. I'm assuming copyright laws of using the name, Ghostbusters or whatnot.

Spaced Out Ace and watson503 like this.
  13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

You haven't lived until you've watched Italian Spiderman! Absolutely fantastic in every aspect.

I'm a B-movie junkie although I've been known to fly even lower than that at times.

14. KnightBrolaire

I'm really into old exploitation films like Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS, Salo:120 days of Sodom, Cannibal Holocaust, Faster Pussycat Kill Kill, Blacula ,etc. Man they sure don't make em like that anymore.

Ebony likes this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Haha, she just got...

16. KnightBrolaire

Sonic Youth are a ridiculously overrated band.

xzacx likes this.
  17. bostjan

This is hilarious, because there was already an old slapstick show called "The Ghost Busters" before there was the famous movie. The show would have been mostly forgotten, except there was a cartoon based off of the show that was on air around the time the movie came out on VHS. A lot of kids, myself included, were very confused that there was a cartoon (seemingly) named after a movie that had nothing to do with the movie.

18. vilk

vilk Very Regular

It's funny you say that here because that's literally the only opinion I've ever heard anyone ever give about Sonic Youth. That and that they suck :lol:

AxeHappy, Mathemagician and bostjan like this.
  19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Both are true. Obviously music is subjective, and our personal tastes for our opinions on art....etc etc.

Sonic Youth sucks butts. - Wayne Gretzky - Michael Scott

20. vilk

vilk Very Regular

The first time I ever used an illicit substance that I can't mention the name of but it rhymes with Spokane, we listened to Sonic Youth and I thought it was so super good, I was totally jamming out, and then the next day I downloaded some and it was just the worst.