Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Thanks for continuing your usual schtick of being utterly ridiculous. It's truly astounding how well you manage to do so. You have a knack at it and a real gift.

2. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

You're never really fully clothed until you don the hazmat suit.

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Pearlsnaps. I still have like 50 pearlsnap shirts in my closet lol. They were a thing.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Hazmat suits for all!

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

What 5 year old does this?! Also, relevance?

I looked up "fully clothed" on urban dictionary, and this is the example given:

So, it's weather specific. The hotter it is, the less clothing you wear to be "fully clothed." Is it geographic, as well? Like, when you go to California in the winter, and it's 12°C, and everyone is wearing triple thick goose-down coats with scarves and knit hats, but when you live here in Northern Vermont, and it's 12°C, everyone puts on their bathing suits and rushes off to the beach?

At what temperature is it then appropriate to be bare chested?

:yesway:

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd like to take a moment to point out the irony that you defined the exact problem caused by loose definitions, then continued to defend the use of the same loose definitions. Clearly, the 'social norm' is not standard enough to be the basis of a discussion about tightening those standards.

AxeHappy and tedtan like this.
  7. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I'm certainly aware of the social norms in my locale, but that is not a specific enough definition by which to enforce a law.

That would be like your boss needing you to come in to work early tomorrow and saying "I'll see you tomorrow morning". When you show up at 8:00, because that is the normal time employees in your company show up for work, he can't write you up for not showing up at 7:00 (when he actually needed you there) because he didn't specify the exact time, he instead left it open to interpretation.

Laws are always somewhat open to interpretation by a judge as we have a legal system based partially on England's case law approach, but there should be no room for interpretation at the level an officer has to enforce them.

Oh, and Never, Never Land is Houston. :lol:

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

What's the dress code in Houston?

Also, say you dress appropriately for your area, but then you get on a bus. If you are dressed appropriately for Houston, but then you travel to El Paso, you haven't left the state, but the typical clothing people wear would be notably different. Could you be cited for not being "fully dressed" because of the missing bolo tie?!

This whole legally enforceable dress code thing is too much for me.

9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

The only codes would be related to indecent exposure, which is considered a criminal sexual offense. As long as you don't expose genitals or anus, you're probably OK (including breastfeeding).

Houston is a very diverse city, though, and you'll see people wearing anything from tuxedos and ball gowns to business suits to business casual to western cowboy attire to burkas to pointy Asian farmer hats to nothing but assless leather chaps (in the Montrose area near the gay bars) or, at the beaches just south of town, swimsuits down to as small as just a G string (the "nude" beach is topless only due to the indecent exposure laws). And being fairly warm weather wise, lots of shorts.

Agreed.

AxeHappy likes this.
  10. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

At the least it would erase the flu!

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

I enjoy the sound of both over-processed as well as organic sounding metal. Suck it.

12. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

So do I. As long as the music's good and the production style suits it, I don't really care which way it's done.

AxeHappy and Seybsnilksz like this.
  13. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

If you're fat you're not handicapped, you're just fat.

cwhitey2 and AxeHappy like this.
  14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ As someone who had an "oh crap, I'm unhealthy" moment or two and dropped 160lbs without doing anything particularly extreme, I sort of get what it's like to be on both sides of "it's not my fault! I'm just big boned!" You're not big boned, you're fat, and it is your fault. It's unpleasant, and it's not "polite" to say, but it's the truth.

People are not good at recognizing or acknowledging their own unhealthy behaviors- and you don't make it to 300lbs without sustaining some pretty unhealthy habits. (I'm talking fat, not counting people who might be ridiculously muscle-y or something.) I don't care if a person is overweight- but own it. If you're fat, it's your own fault. I've got no excuses, I was lazy and had an unhealthy relationship with food- I was a fat guy. Be fat if you want to- it's your lifestyle, do as you please- but don't pretend that it's healthy or out of your control cause I don't buy it.

AxeHappy likes this.
  15. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

As someone who's a bit, ahem, jolly-er than they care to be at the moment, I couldn't agree more. When people are successful at something, they want credit for the good decisions made to get where they are, and the other side of the coin means owning the decisions that have led to failure. And, ultimately, acknowledging that you're fucking-up is the only way to change.

AxeHappy likes this.
  16. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

I'll listen to a record that sounds like bees in a tunnel if the composition is good. If you need a nice pretty production to enjoy a piece of music, you're not in it for the music.

odibrom and xzacx like this.
  17. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I can hear the composition a lot better if the quality is decent.

I mean, bees in a tunnel works if you're an underground Punk band or something, but if you're adding orchestral shit and going for the whole soundtracky feel, you probably don't want it to sound like you crammed some cellists in your garage...

AxeHappy likes this.
  18. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Agreed with the whole fat thing. I'm damn near 400 lbs, though I work everyday don't have to multitude of rolls that most fat people have, but it's still bad and I need to do something about it. However, the journey to get this big was paved with my own bad decisions. Not mistakes, bad decisions. It pisses me off when I see a person who's large on one of those scooters at Wal-Mart. Good job asshole, you're making the rest of us look worse than we already are.

19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I've been overweight almost all my life, and yep, it's my own fault (well, partially my parents' too), and definitely not a disease or anything. I'm not morbidly obese or anything, at worst my weight has been around 280 lbs and I'm pretty tall, but still. My weight should be just under 200 lbs and I've already gone from 280 -> 230 this year, so the target is to hit 200 by next summer.

How is this an unpopular opinion though?

AxeHappy likes this.
  20. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

I don't get why pineapple on pizza is such a huge problem. It's delicious.

cwhitey2 and xzacx like this.