Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Oh my Lord, thank you guys. I'm also not a fan of the whole mentality that beer should be so hops-y that the bitterness literally inverts your face. I fucking hate IPAs.

Having said that, in the grand scheme of things, I know practically nothing about beer. I like wheat ales (especially the ones with a tinge of citrus) like Rickard's White and Belgian Moon (Hoegarden is okay, but the flavour is a bit weak). Also, on a hot day, Corona is divine. But that's just my particular bent, and I don't spend nearly enough on beer to refine my palette, simply because of how expensive drinking can be (especially since I'm in my 3rd year back at school).

2. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

I have. It's not pleasant, but whiskey is difficult to even take a small sip of.

Tasting? What taste? (I like no taste tho :fawk:)

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the USA government actually want these mass shootings and continually support it imo.

An example is trump claiming the Paris terror attacks in France (a place with the strictest gun laws on the planet according to him) would not have happened if people had guns strapped to them to defend themselves and that "Mentally Ill shooters " will always slip through the cracks guns or not.

theeeeeeen he passes a bill that allows mentally ill people to buy guns in the USA...??

4. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Not the biggest beer fan?

5. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

From what I've gathered from hanging out with people obsessed with craft beer... no one really knows that much, and most have no clue of the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. Craft beer aficionados pretty much ruined craft beer for me and they can't handle that people don't like what they like. Which pretty much applies to fans of anything.

Mathemagician likes this.
  6. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

So everything has been ruined for you? Last I checked, we have twenty five delicious varieties of classic Rice-A-Roni.

7. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

Nah, not in that way, more like in the way that I'd rather avoid conversations with people who turn fandom into zealotry. Suits me anyways, means I can talk to people less :banana:

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Clearly you've never had a nice tequila! There's a steep difference between good stuff and bad. Just like sake. Cheap ones taste bad, but if you spend a little it's like an entirely different liquid. Like you might really believe it's a different liquor if no one told you what it was.

I'll totally agree with you that Jose Cuervo is shit.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've become a beer snob, and I blame it on living in Vermont- the state with more breweries than permanent residents. :lol:

I can drink an IPA, if it's particularly good. But most IPA's, IMO, are gross. I don't know where IPA became synonymous with "most bitter beer contest," but that's how it seems to me, and this is coming from a person who doesn't seem affected by "bitter"-tasting vegetables. But really, why drink a bitter beer when there are hundreds of not-bitter beers? :shrug: Some of the most hipster-friendly beers around town taste like someone dropped a bar of soap into an otherwise decent beer. It's just gross, and I don't see how any amount of beer-snobbing can get a person to learn to appreciate a beer like Flying Monkey Fornication IPA, which has so much hops in it it's actually a murky green colour, and has an IBU of >2500.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I get what you mean. I often order a different beer every time I go anywhere, because there’s so many i’ll Never try them all.

But I also am really not much of a drinker, after the one beer i’ll Have water the rest of the night and be perfectly happy.

Just like hardcore fans of anything there’s alway someone trying to “judge” your commitment IE “oh yeah name 3 of their albums, what’s your favorite song and don’t say enter sandman”.

11. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

Our local (Cape Town) IPAs kinda do the same thing. I love bitter beer, but there's something about the way IPAs are bitter these days which I do not like. Here they tend to be extreme on the bitter and the fruit, with a big empty gap in the middle. I like to equate it to a bass and treble heavy mix, with little to no midrange.

12. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Hell with the fans, let craft beer ruin itself for you!

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I've had good tequila like don julio and I still hate it. I like tequila in mixed drinks, but drinking it straight is asinine. I'd rather drink things that taste good.

14. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

Heh, that's why I choose to ignore fans and remain a desperately uncool person :cheers:

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

beer is really mostly garbage.

Im a cider drinker these days......

(unpopular opinion right?)

Durtal likes this.
  16. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I drank beer almost exclusively for ten years or so, but nowadays I prefer cheap wine or liquor. Beer makes me gassy, and the hangovers are worse.

lewis likes this.
  17. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Jagermeister > every other alcoholic drink

18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Jägermeister is just the kindergarten version of absinthe, though. Yet, in the USA, people love Jägermeister almost universally, yet are too afraid to try absinthe. :shrug:

Durtal and AxeHappy like this.
  19. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I've had hard cider mixed with whiskey and it was pretty good, but I don't like cider by itself.

20. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Well I mean, jager is 35% abv and absinthe is usually starting at 50%... so that might factor into it for some people?
    But I'mma be honest, getting drunk on absinthe is different than getting drunk on other kinds of liquor. I know that the wormwood think is debunked; I think it just must be different getting drunk from high proof booze?

And while I think jagermeister might be comparable to some absinthe, especially the very sweet and aniseed tasting kind, it's definitely not very much like a bitter wormood flavor absinthe.