Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO it should be zero requirements. Parents can buy things for their kids if they want to. People can get something for their partners if they really feel like it. Nobody else should be required to give anyone anything by any means. I think the whole concept and value of a gift is defeated when it's mandatory.

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

idk how many Jews you know, but let me assure you that xmas gift giving isn't mandatory :lol:

But the tradition of giving at that time of the year is extensive and crosses many cultural and temporal boundaries... that's kinda why I like the idea of it.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I suppose part of what I don't like is that I don't really belong to any of the cultural or religious groups that any gift giving or other traditions would be rooted in. I had a conversation once where someone said to me "if you're not Christian, then why do you even bother? Would you rather we just not have Christmas?" Yes. Yes, actually. They were being sarcastic. I was not.

I'd love to just strip all the religious aspects out of my life entirely - no Xmas, no Easter, don't go to any events in churches - and just not celebrate those things, as if I were part of some other religion that did it's own thing, but I'm sure I'd just anger people more than it's worth. Like I can't say "oh, sorry, I don't celebrate Xmas because I'm an athiest". I'd get an eye roll and have to go anyway.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

I hate xmas too, mostly because of the waste it produces in plastic packages and wrap paper for things that are... useless... it might have been spiritual in ancient times when gifts were only given at this time of the year. Today, it simply makes no sense, it's "Buy this Buy that" on the TV and everywhere else that has a multimedia connection... and the xmas music? no, please no.

5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Sure you do! As either a North American, who traditionally celebrate Xmas and are largely responsible for what it has become today, or as a person descendant from one of the many nations united under the Roman Empire who collectively celebrated Saturnalia... I mean, you do know that Xmas is not originally a Christian holiday, right? There was Yule for Germanic people, there's Yalda for Persians, the list goes on and on and on.

Winter holiday with family gathering and gift giving transcends even farther than Western culture. In Japan the big holiday is New Years Day (which is just a week after Xmas); I presume this is true for other East Asian nations also? Family gets together and feasts, relatives give envelopes of money to children, you get the picture.

Even Kwanzaa, though it was made up in the 60s, alleges to be derived from none-too-specific Sub-Saharan African holidays that take place around that time.

Xmas isn't a religious holiday. The end of the year has always been a holiday. I'm sure it has everything to do with having a good haul of harvest in the Autumn, doing lots of business and making that economy go.

HAVING SAID THAT it's definitely NOT my favorite holiday, I already mentioned that the degree of consumerism is out of control imo, and also I fucking hate xmas music. Not super into popular xmas imagery in general. I think it'd be way doper if we reclaimed Saturnalia, but religious Christians would be pissed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  6. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

As a person who works as a public transit operator in a University town:

Fuck. Halloween.

chassless likes this.
  7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

You're wrong about everything, you know nothing about sports, you have a big ol' set of internet balls on ya, and you're an a-hole. Good luck with that. :fawk:

8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Nah. Fuck university students.

AxeHappy and chassless like this.
  9. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Nah, fuck public transit operators.

chassless likes this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Shots fired.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Sure, but try explaining that to parents and grandparents who are convinced it's all about JESUS and BUYING THINGS. It's unfortunately a scenario where the truth doesn't matter- it's less about the roots of the holiday and more about the social obligation to participate. My point was more that I don't have any socially-acceptable reasons not to participate, given that just plain not wanting to isn't good enough for a lot of people.

12. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

Who gives a shit?

You don't need a reason to dislike celebrating the birth of the worlds biggest fraud (who, among other things, preached modesty, sobriety and charity) by getting drunk, eating until you puke, spoil your kids and yourself whilst being stressed out of your mind over insignificant details, having arguments with "dearly beloved" family members and spending hours upon hours littering your house with overpriced plastic junk and figurines of an obese clown-buddah from the north pole.

There is a reason suicide rates spike at Christmas, and it's because people feel more alone and left out than at any other time of the year. The "general masses" are too busy sitting in Church listening with one ear to bullshit about "love" whilst planning how to serve the roast/turkey to actually have any capacity whatsoever to be including or anything remotely resembling the kindness they think they want to radiate.

What is the one time of the year you don't expect people to welcome you into their homes and take you under their wings if you're in trouble and need help? Fucking Christmas!!!

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Family? I thought that was pretty strongly indicated. You can say "do what you want, be your own person!" all you want, but literally bailing on xmas is only going to get me berated, which isn't an improvement over sitting through it.

14. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

I didn't mean who gives a shit about what you think about Christmas, I meant who gives a shit if people (family as you indicated) have problems with your attitude. Clearly, that is of much higher value to you than it is to me.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think most people care when their immediate family is mad at them. And that's exactly my point- holidays are a rock and a hard place situation. Either put up with the parts of the holiday I don't like, or get get torn a new one by family for not going along with it.

16. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

Yeah, I would be pretty mad at my immediate family if they berated me for not wanting to partake in Christmas.

17. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

It's okay, I'll just go dry my tears on my government paycheque, benefits package and pension. ;)

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

At that level, it's a matter of also blowing off a family event, so the reasons don't matter. The confrontation isn't worth it.

19. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Are you implying that your earlier post was in jest? If so, you got me. I completely missed that without a smiley. :lol:

20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

couple of years ago I genuinely boycotted xmas and never bought anyone a single gift. Was fed up with feeling pressured into buying what i mostly couldn't afford.

i felt good about it but noone else did