Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

You clearly didn't get the original point of the post so there's really no point in continuing further with you after this. For one last time, and maybe you'll get it, but I doubt it, how I feel about the people themselves protesting has NOTHING to do with why I think those who bitch about them protesting are wasting their time. Did that get through THIS time?

At the very least, however anyone feels about them kneeling or standing, it's still way fucking better than looting stores or rioting and yet people are still bitching. I'm complaining about the people who have too much time on their hands and spend their time bitching about something so meaningless as this. There. The main point was in bold AND underlined. Do I need to put italics as well? How about a picture of a spoon right underneath it?

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Not even that. Law enforcement is expected to enforce the law, not write it nor interpret it. Now, unless there is a law that says you should die if you sell cigarettes without a license, or a law that says you should be shot if you are non-verbal and approach police because you don't understand a command, or a law that says you deserve to die if you call the police for help and happen to be from Australia, or a law that says you should draw blood from a man not suspected of a crime who was in an incapacitating automobile accident, or a law that says you should be shot for turning your back to the police whilst holding a 2" pocket knife, or a law that says you shoot a dude dead if he says he has a concealed weapon permit...or...etc.etc.etc., then we have a problem in this country centered around Law Enforcement culture. Because those things are happening and they keep happening and there is zero corrective action being taken to try to stop it from happening.

So yeah, there is a problem with law enforcement culture, there is a problem with legislation in that it doesn't deal with the identified problems in law enforcement culture, and there is a problem within the justice system, because when law enforcement officers break the law or kill people, there is no investigation or else there is an investigation, but the findings get sealed off from public view and the public is offered no explanation.

So how does somebody address such a problem?

Honestly, I think those socks are distasteful and counter-productive. It draws attention away from the issue at hand. But kneeling during the anthem...IDK. I guess that didn't work, either, but to me, I don't fault the people doing it for trying to use a tool like that to bring attention to a cause that could literally mean life and death for people in the near future.

3. bostjan

Maybe if the spoon had a choo-choo train on it.

Yeah, I got what you said. You're complaining about people who complain. :shrug: You're right though, there is no point in arguing about what that might say about you or me. Let's move on to something else.

[​IMG]

4. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

That's just one team. Besides, even that team would have hired him if they thought his presence on the team would make them money (the NFL is big business, after all).

Besides, how many players in the NFL have domestic violence or other charges against them and still manage play? That's a bit beyond mere tweets, no? Even Michael Vick returned to the NFL and played for four or five years after he was released from prison for the dog fighting ring. The team owners only care about money.

Who said anything about racism? If it were about racism, the majority of NFL players wouldn't be African American, would they? So we can lay this straw man to rest.

I don't know that it is all that courageous, but it is probably more patriotic than merely standing there like a statue. To whit:

“Equal laws protecting equal rights - the best guarantee of loyalty and love of country.” - James Madison

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

"For true patriots to be silent, is dangerous.” - Samuel Adams

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." - Thomas Jefferson​

Well, he did seem fond of nonviolent protest, so you may be on to something there.

Possibly, but relevance?

AxeHappy likes this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying that you think it should be illegal to sell potentially-offensive socks?

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm trying to say that one of the reasons that the image of a police officer has changed from hero to pig is because they are made to police behavior that is not inherently criminal.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    AxeHappy likes this.
  7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Ah, understood.

8. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

Possibly misplaced rant incoming...not sure how unpopular this is.

I hate it when instrument-businesses get to comfy and start using words like "family" to replace "artists" and things like "our vision", "legacy" or "a few words" instead of the good old "info", "terms" and "policy".

FIRSTLY, all it does is make it near impossible to discern what the fuck they're trying to say so you end up having to click every last page on the entire site just to get to the most basic information. Just get to the point, I want practical information about your product and how I can get it, not inner mantras, impossible claims and life-stories. I suppose there is nothing inherently wrong with an overly romantic background-story, aside from making yourself sound like a drugged-out hippie that is, but please separate it from the actual information you present. Not all of us are longing teenagers who wants to be wooed, many of us are cynical bastards with actual experience of how the grey world of retail works. Passion is good, but not when it seeps into what should remain pragmatical and informative.

SECONDLY, we're not "family". I am a sucker that wants to buy your product, and if I don't have the money to pay for it you won't give two shits about me. And we will not become family just because I'm in your artist-roster either. Whoring myself around with you're product in exchange for services and/or money does not warrant use of the word "family", at least to me. Like a drunken marriage, our relationship may end in the blink of an eye because of the tiniest inconvenience, as proven by the overwhelming majority of touring musicians since the dawn of time.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Mathemagician likes this.
  9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I’ll rant right with you! No you’re right. As soon as a business owner uses the word “family” I just assume it’s run by people trying to under pay someone.

When your boss says “we’re a family around here” he’s trying to get you to do work for free.

Is his bonus getting split with you for all the weekends you put in while on salary? Nope. It’s your job to get your comp/bonus as high as you can, and that means leaving if need be.

Moreso than artists, I feel that athletes get the most shit for this. It’s like they are supposed to accept less money for their job just because they’re “already” making millions. Why should they make $8mm when they can make $18, or make $40mm when they can make $90mm?

Ebony likes this.
  10. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Jeebus... believe what you want. There is a tipping point for when talent is overcome by controversy/off-the-field/etc. Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, TO, Ray Rice etc. e.g. Joe Mixon is on a team because his talent currently outweigh the onus of his crimes. Kap is not a good enough QB to outweigh the baggage his GF brings, as well as his own. I lean decently left politically, but it's people like you that drive me back towards the right.

11. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I know you're probably trying to make a joke, but it's inspired me to tell another of my unpopular opinions.

A political opinion isn't [read: ought not to be] the same thing as an affiliation. When people say things like the [behavior/outspokenness] of SJW/BLM/etc is the reason I voted for Trump is either logically fallacious or is an admission of caring more about superficial identity-cliques and appearances than your own feelings of liberty, morality, and what American life ought to be.

a vote for "the left" is no more a vote for BLM than a vote for "the right" is a vote for the KKK.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    AxeHappy, tedtan and TedEH like this.
  12. bostjan

Furthermore, political opinions should form a person's political identity, not the other way around. I feel strongly that the two-party system is broken from the outset, because I tend to hold some beliefs that are typically associated with one side and some beliefs that are typically associated with the other side.. Even local politicians almost always fall in line with one set of beliefs or the other, without any mix-and-match, so I end up having to gauge my support based on how strongly these people feel about certain things, but it all ends up changing with current events anyway. Oh well.

Here's an unpopular opinion - Halloween is more fun than Christmas, as a holiday in US culture. Halloween, you get the warm feeling of giving, when you give a tasty treat to a little kid, without all of the bratty entitlement of kids "not getting what they want." You wanted an almond joy and not a snickers, you know what? You just go to the next house, and, later on, see if any of your friends prefer the snickers and want to trade... The costumes are more fun, the parties are more fun, the music is more fun. It's just more fun. Too many adults around Christmas-time get depressed, or feel left out for religious reasons, or they are too cold or cold and hungry, or they don't like the music, etc. Halloween is celebrated or not because you want to, or not, not because of religion. A huge part of my feeling that way, though, is because of how out-of-hand USA culture has gotten with Christmas. It's jammed down your throat and everyone seems to get really pretentious about it and it just causes a bunch of stress.

13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I don't ever want to meet the kid that takes an Almond Joy over a Snickers.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'll take the Mounds every time

bhakan and bostjan like this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've never been a big fan of xmas, both because of the religious implications, but also because of the embedded social contracts that come with it. Give me the time off and the food, but leave the gift giving and forced family time out of it. I don't want gifts from people- I'm perfectly capable of providing what I need for myself, and xmas gifts are never anything you want. And I don't want to give people things, for mostly the same reasons- I don't know what people want, and most people have everything they need. Gift giving feels like such a huge waste of money. I avoid it almost entirely. And it makes me look like an *sshole when I show up with zero gifts for people, but I also don't expect (or want) anything back. If you want to use it as an opportunity to spoil your kids or something, then great, go for it. But adults don't need this. And making it an implied requirement ruins some otherwise perfectly good time off.

16. vilk

vilk Very Regular

IMO we should go ahead and nix Thanksgiving.

Hey, lets have a second Christmas dinner just a few weeks before Christmas!

I think that's part of the reason no one is interested in seeing their families at Xmas: They literally just fucking saw them less than a month ago.

And I'm with you on the presents, but to a degree. I'm not sure how it happened, probably some economic bubble, but somewhere along the way my family got into the tradition 'buy everyone a whole shitload of presents!!!!!!', which some decade and a half into an economic recession I say: why are we trying to live up to this? In 2017 USA, no one has the money to buy everyone in their family 8 fucking presents. How about one.
    One present per person
    Immediate family only
    Now that I'm an adult and have some understanding of my own parents financial situation, when I see how much shit my parents buy for Xmas it kinda makes me upset.

Also, when you buy a kid a bunch of presents at once, they absolutely do not appreciate them. Guess what? If you buy your kid only 1 present, he's still gonna be pumped on Xmas morning, because he's getting new shit.

17. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

He's not a great QB, and he's not currently as good as he was several years back, but he did help lead the 49ers to a couple of NFC division games and a Superbowl. And whatever baggage his GF brings to the table is just more publicity, nothing actually serious.

How long did the Cowboy's coddle Romo instead of cutting him loose like they should have?

Stating that is tantamount to stating that:
    1. You are too weak to be in control of yourself; and
    2. Someone else is strong enough to manipulate you into doing something you don't want to do; and
    3. You lack the maturity and guts to take responsibility for your own beliefs.
    I don't say that to be insulting, I point it out in the hopes that it makes you think about how you present yourself.

We don't have to agree on everything. In fact, I can't think of a single person with whom I agree on every issue. But when going into a conversation, it's best to go in with an open mind and with sincerity. Insults, blaming others, closed mindedness, etc. only serve to stifle the exchange of ideas and make you look like you're reacting emotionally (as a young child might).

AxeHappy likes this.
  18. bostjan

Or...just get together to visit with family and eat a normally portioned meal, and then do it again a month later?

I think it's ironic:

"Thanks so much for this food! We need to continue to celebrate that our ancestors didn't starve during their time in a strange new place without any knowledge of what foods could be - HOLY F#$%! LOOK! A $400 WIDESCREEN TV! SNUGGIES AS SEEN ON TV!!! NINTENDOS IN STOCK!!!!!! - F#$% sentimentality, let's go shopping - Spend spend SPEND!!!!1!" Then a month later everybody opens their gifts like "I wanted the red Snuggie, not the blue one! No, I wanted the Playstation, not the Nintendo! No, no, no - I wanted a 65" TV, not a 56"!" :squint: How about go back to being thankful you aren't starving and cold?

Anyway, on Halloween, everyone seems happy to dress up, offer cheerful critiques of each other's costumes, listen to some fun music, do fun traditions like bobbing for apples, hay rides, and ghost stories, and kids get tons of candy from strangers who totally don't want to poison them or anything. Seems like a win of a holiday to me.

vilk likes this.
  19. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Holy shit... Bostjan, Vilk, and TedEh have said my exact feelings on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween being infinitely better than Christmas. I'm a bit of an Autumn guy. Love the cooler weather, the fact it gets darker sooner (I work second shift, so night is basically my natural preference) Might be an unpopular opinion for IRL, but on here, Christmas sucking seems to be a quite popular opinion. :D

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I like how Hilary Clinton pretends to give a shit about Puerto Rico when she never gave a shit about Benghazi.
    I also like how morons like Pelosi manage to stay in office for decades. We need term limits for everyone in office, not just the president.

bpprox22 and Spaced Out Ace like this.