Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yes!

Mmm, well, sort of. I mean, To make this analogy really work, imagine if they played the national anthem at your workplace, and you were required to stand, remove your hat, and place your hand over your heart. I think this would be a little weird, and the employer would have a tough time defending that requirement legally, if it were called into question in court. It's not like the football players, in this case, are trying to distribute pamphlets or give political speeches during their time on the field here, it's a symbolic act of omission.

But, on the other hand, these symbolic acts of omission are, as it appears, costing the NFL some amount of revenue, so, maybe there is an angle to work it that way, legally, but I think, at the very least, it'd be unprecedented legal ground, although I'm not 100% certain of that.

AxeHappy likes this.
  2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I don't know if any of the teams require the players to stand or not, but it still reflects on the team. Kind of like how police departments, the post office, hospitals, etc. have restrictions on what you can do while wearing their uniform - it reflects on the employer. So I can see an individual team owner or the NFL (the teams are franchises, so the NFL can set rules the individual teams must follow) taking that approach (Kaepernick is still jobless this year, after all, largely as a result of starting this protest).

But hopefully the protests work out, as this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

3. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Not exactly poor anymore, though are they?

4. bostjan

I believe most of the teams have told the players to support this cause at their own discretion. I believe that might change if the NFL's revenue stream is compromised, but, keep in mind that if the teams tell players not to kneel, they could simply shift the problem from one side to the other, causing equal damage on the opposite side of the debate, whilst only repairing the damage on the initial side by maybe 30%, optimistically, so it'd be foolish for them to do something like that at this time. What might be smart is to have some teams in places where the kneeling is very unpopular develop policies against it, and leave the other teams alone. People might be entertained by the increased rivalries caused by that.

I apologize for seeming rude by asking, but what is the relevance of that statement?

Look, the kneeling was never intended to be direct disrespect toward the nation. If Trump says it's true, it doesn't mean anything, because the guy speaks before he understands things, at least half the time he opens his mouth.

If you don't support this form of protest, that's fine, I think you are certainly entitled to feel that way.

Personally, I believe that police brutality in the USA is a consistent problem. I think that there has been significant evidence that such is the case, with Justine Damond being shot by police for calling for help, and the police officers involved going on paid vacation and required neither to answer for the killing, nor to simply explain what happened. And that was a rich white lady. This sort of thing happens 13 times more often to black people. Just the other day there was the story of the deaf man shot while he was being tased. He was "armed" with an exhaust pipe and he was 15-20 feet away from the police, walking toward them, when he was killed. It's local, too - even in Vermont, unarmed people get shot by police. These players are trying to draw attention to the fact that this is not okay.

If it was one guy doing it, you could argue that the guy is doing it for his own attention. With groups of players doing this in solidarity, it's difficult to seriously make such a claim. What I see here is that a significant portion of people are too damn lazy to look up a thing before they take financial action against it. Post some stupid false report on facebook these days and people get all fired up. There is no excuse when sites like snopes and politifact exist and are usually easy to access and tell you the black and white facts of the issue - instead, even our president doesn't bother to check facts, and simply condemns things.

AxeHappy, vilk and Science_Penguin like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Wrong, Kaepernick is jobless because he went 2-14 last season. His politics likely didn't help though.

6. PunkBillCarson

Actually if you'd read my original post, you'd know that I don't care that they are protesting, I'm just wondering why so many people are wasting their energy caring so much about it. People get bent out of shape these days for little to no reason. Seriously, it's a bunch of fucking kids kneeling. I will say that I'd rather people protest like this than going out and looting stores and burning shit. Seriously, there was no need to write a novel (especially an uninformed one) in retaliation, especially if you missed the point entirely.

7. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

I can't stand The Beatles, after 12 years of working in music retail and listening to people harp on about the following

-Who the better singer was
    -John Lennon
    -It was Yoko that caused the break up
    -Ringo was weakest link
    -John Lennon was a saint- even though he has documented history of domestic violence

One day one of these rabbid fans suggested that John paid the price of domestic violence by being shot....

Nope.

Sorry if I salted any wounds here

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. PunkBillCarson

I don't care for the Beatles either.

Ebony and MickD7 like this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Might just have to listen to Help! or A Hard Day's Night just to spite you two. :lol:

10. PunkBillCarson

You'll be the one hearing it, not me.

AxeHappy, MickD7, Ebony and 1 other person like this.
  11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

The only version of the Beatles I like is "Across The Universe" and I'm usually high when I watch that, so it's not the best case to make for them :lol:

MickD7 likes this.
  12. bostjan

Pick one way or the other. Either you care enough to insult the people involved and complain or you don't care. :shrug:

AxeHappy and USMarine75 like this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

george harrison is the only beatle I ever liked, since he seemed like he could actually play guitar decently. Plus, if he didn't write While my guitar gently weeps we wouldn't have gotten Jake Shimabukuro's uke version or Regina Spektor's version

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  14. bostjan

I do hear a lot of people who say George was the best Beatle. I'd qualify that myself by saying he was the most consistently good Beatle. John had his moments, and, well, I really don't care for Paul's songs. And Ringo is cool, but it didn't seem like he tried very hard in the band. :lol:

I wasn't around when the Beatles made it big, but my take on it is that they combined just the right ingredients in the right concentrations for the time. They emulated the guitar riffs of blues players from the late 50's, like Chuck Berry, but IMO, not as well as other blues players of the time - but then they added in a lot of elements of pop, traditional English music, hints of classical, and a little world music (later). But, I mean, they were not the first British band to do pretty much exactly that (for example, The Shadows), but, most importantly, they did it, not before it was cool nor after it was cool, but just as it became cool to do it. And that's really what 48% of any band's popularity or lack thereof is all about.

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I think KISS took their heavy metal Beatles gimmick too far. I mean, Ace = George, Paul = Paul, Gene = John, Peter = Ringo. Even the syllables of their names match, as does people's perception of them.

bostjan likes this.
  16. bostjan

Then they all did solo albums (and it was part of the gimmick, not just because they each had something to say).
    Googled: Beatles vs Kiss
    [​IMG]
    Was not disappointed :lol:

17. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Agreed.

He's not the best QB in the league by any means, but without having started the protesting, he'd at least have a job as a backup or third string QB.

18. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Never liked the Beatles, and always hated Kiss.

What a money machine.

MickD7 likes this.
  19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

His GF tweeted negative stuff about the Ravens management and Ray Lewis, while they were in discussions about bringing him in to start while Flacco was injured. But yeah, it's probably because he's black and protesting racism.

upload_2017-9-29_13-56-38.jpeg
    ^ that dayum racist GM...

Because it's all despicably unfair, because it's all due to his courageous protesting:

[​IMG]

... I'm sure if MLK were alive he'd be proud. Wasn't MLK arrested in Birmingham because he was wearing socks with "pigs" on them too?

SMDH.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  20. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Blame Richard Nixon dude. He's the reason cops became pigs.

No one resents police for stopping legitimate crimes. People resent police for being the "Sin Patrol" that goes after people for victim-less, consensual actions that neither destroy property nor impose on the freedoms of others.

The reason a company is able to make those socks and sell them is because our laws are wrong. Want to change public perception of LEO? Stop pitting them as the enemy of innocent people.