Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. auntyethel

auntyethel Skommeling

Digging up the Simpsons corpse... I don't really mind any season. I think it got worse, but not as bad as most people say. I also think the first few 'classic' seasons are definitely not the best, it got better after a few.

2. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

1. Telecasters handle themselves well for metal. I'm not talking a tele with an H-H configuration with some high gain pickup, I'm talking a telecaster with some low to mid gain single coil.
    2. The 5150, while it has many strong points, is annoyingly fizzy sounding.
    3. A lot of metal is boring and sometimes people need to just write a &^$%ing hook. A grab bag of disconnected riffs does not a song make - or at least not a good one.
    4. 7 strings is great. Unless you are some virtuoso, 8 strings probably isn't. If you want 9 or more, you may have been dropped on your head as a child. ;)

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd argue that's kind of the case for a lot of music. Being on this forum, and in any given metal scene, puts you in the path of lots of homemade diy metal tunes, but I suspect every genre has similar problems. I've been to a lot of shows where, regardless of genre, I've been watching a band and thought "ah, there's a good bit" once or twice, but tons of the material lacks any real hook moments.

AxeHappy and Strobe like this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Agreed. The number one problem IMO most metal/rock guitarists have is FAR too much gain. And that's from using high gain pickups, maxed out OD/boost pedals, and dimed amps. It sounds like garbage. Les Paul was right when it came to pickups... and it's the same reason why pickups like BKP work so well for modern metal (AKA articulate). They're not actually super hot over-wound pickups. And most of the music production now utilizes cleaner rigs with moderate gain settings. I was jamming my Collings with P90 > Tumnus OD > Zendrive > Fender Bassman 410 and it sounded better than my Engl FB100 with an ESP and EMGs. tl;dr gain=/=volume lol

New tubes, new speakers (if 212 combo), and a 12AT7 or 12AY7 in the PI changes all that! Believe.

Amen. People complain about generic music, but I can listen to As I Lay Dying or any number of bands that sound exactly like them, over random tech death nonsense. Technical proficiency is not a substitute for quality songwriting.

lol

Strobe likes this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

We almost need a "things that should be obvious but still need to be said for whatever reason" thread. :lol:

FILTHnFEAR, Strobe and USMarine75 like this.
  6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Preach! I'm guessing djent is a technique not a genre would be number one lol?

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  7. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

Pop sucks :fawk:

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

On some level I disagree, but if that means less "it's not metal because it's djent, and those are distinct" type of comments, then I'm ok with it.

USMarine75 likes this.
  9. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

"Musical fallacies"

Argumentum ad Ars- The fallacy that technique is in any way a measure of how good or bad a song is

USMarine75 likes this.
  10. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

problem is over here there are heaps of speed cameras. Between my town and the next city (Brisbane) there are 3, on a 1-1.5 hour drive. Same if drive out to the next town after the city. Worst part is the mobile hidden cameras. Sometimes is a cop, sometimes is a parked van on the side of the road (even go to the trouble to hide it after a bridge or something), cops wont pull you over and give you a ticket(unless they are driving on the same road as you and decide to check your car or you did something stupid). They take a snap of your plate and send you a ticket on the mail.

At least before they were by law forced to put a "speed camera ahead" sign. Which the #$*W$ers put it AFTER the car, or right next to it, so they "play by the law" but you didnt had the chance to see it. But lately they dont put anything. ITs all about the revenue for them. Reason why they do it more on peak hours and peak days. It doesnt "save lives", it gives them money. If you get a ticket on the mail 1-4 weeks after you "speed", then you wont ever remember where and when and more importantly the why you did it. Not only that but it didnt stopped you or slowed you down on the day you did it. IF there was a massive sign with "speed camera in 500mts ahead" or something clear and readable like that, then you would be forced to slow down, and if you speed over, then its your fault and you would know it.

Same reason why I think undercover police cars are a shame and they should be illegal. They arent preventing anything, they are looking for money. You want to make people to drive slow at the limit, just drive your police car and people would be scared enough to do so, if they speed, then they deserve it

vilk likes this.
  11. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

I wish I could give this post 1000 likes. You're in my head.

Strobe likes this.
  12. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

1. My second electric guitar was an American Standard Tele. That guitar was much better suited for metal riffing than my Washburn Mercury, but notably less comfy for shredding (or, in my case, attempted shredding :lol: ).

2. The 5150, for me, has a lot of tonal similarities to the Dual Recto. I love my Dual Recto, but they are difficult to dial in. If one knob moves a little, you can spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the sound you just had, unless you mark your settings with whiteout or something.

3. I happen to find music, in general, to be interesting and exciting. I think all genres have plenty of examples of both good and bad. At least metal has more variations in it than pop or country. I've seen arguments on social media about blues - some people criticize the genre for utilizing pretty much the same four chords and the same lyrical themes and pretty much the same fills and licks. I don't care how much people tend to deny it, the structure of a blues song follows one of two basic forms and then each of those have only a dozen or so variations. A quick-to-four 12-bar blues standard progression is not really a different structure than a regular standard 12-bar blues progression. They sound basically the same. But, the argument misses the forest for the trees. A song is not a set of lyrics, and it's not a series of chord changes....the song itself is the way all of those little ideas combine. Some songs can only have one chord in the background, but might have a fantastic vocal performance over it (I'm thinking of some novo-renaissance songs), and other songs might have only one lyric and one chord, but still capture something artistically interesting (Napalm Death). I like hooks, but I can totally get into bands that don't use hooks - it's all about the whole package deal for me.

4. Haha. Well, maybe you're right, but what is magical about the number of strings on your guitar? Listen to Matthias IA Eklundh play a guitar with any number of strings or lack thereof on it, and it's pretty entertaining. Honestly, I only once in a blue moon see anybody with a crazy ERG actually use all of the strings in the same song, but so what? If nothing else, it's kind of comical to watch somebody hamfist the hell out of the low G# on a ten string guitar without ever touching any of the strings 1-6. Does that mean that the person should instead be playing a four string bass tuned the same as the bottom four strings of a ten string guitar? No. A) It'd never sound the same and B) The person might not have a four string bass, but obviously already has a ten string guitar. This bothered me back in the late 1990's when it went the other way, too. I'd be tuning up before playing and people would say stuff like "That's a seven string guitar, this guy is going to shred some Steve Vai!" As if, in the late 1960's, when a classic rock band pulled out a Les Paul, people would have said "That guy must be preparing to rip out some Les Paul and Mary Ford songs!"

For me, the number of strings on an instrument is a comfort thing. I find six string necks to just be too tiny in my hands. I love seven strings, because they just feel more natural, and also, I can do some things I simply can't do on a six string. I love my Oni 8 string, but a huge part of that is tuning up.

When I came to this forum, I had already been playing seven string guitar for almost ten years. In that time, I had never even experimented with tuning lower than A1. I think that, by then, my mind was pretty much set on what I expected a guitar to feel like and sound like. The next generation of guitarists got to grow up with 8 string guitars available to buy at a store. When I started playing, seven strings were expensive and rare. It's amusing to me how much the stigmas have remained the same in spite of the changes in technology and culture.

-----

Those are very valid opinions, of course, and I 99% agree. :)

FILTHnFEAR and Strobe like this.
  13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Makes me think of TalkBass, where they have a pretty good "musical misinformation" thread.

14. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I feel like every genre has the same problem in that most bands lack that special something, but I think it manifests itself differently in different genres. Metal pretty frequently falls into the "riff sald" pitfall. Outside of metal I often see the type of bands who write a hook but can't develop the song at all. There's no tension or interesting instrumentation, just catchy verses and choruses.

I feel like most bands lack whatever the genre they're playing is least known for. Just because metal isn't known for hooks doesn't mean your audience doesn't wanna have something stick with them, and just because singer songwriter music isn't known for flashy guitar work doesn't mean alternating between G and E chord for 3 minutes won't sound bland.

bostjan likes this.
  15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Well, it's kind of a tautology, since the band is labeled into a genre based on what is most obvious about the band and with what descriptors the genre is most commonly associated.

But I think I can interpret what you are saying into a sort of observation on the lack of subtlety. If you play riff A eight times and riff B eight times, you are probably already set into a hard rock/metal idiom. Next, you can go on to riff C if you are prog or go back to riff A if not... :lol:

But, on the other hand, it's a double-edged sword. If you are a "metal" band, and your songs don't try to incorporate catchy parts, you are boring. If you are a "metal" band and your songs try to incorporate catchy parts, you are cheesy. If you can pull off boring or cheesy in a positive way, you can pick up more fans, but there will ALWAYS be listeners who complain about one or the other. :shrug:

16. El Caco

The most Metal thing any band can do is not give a f'k about what others think.

On one hand there will be people who think the most Metal band is the one no one has heard because they are that underground.

But then I'm in the camp that thinks the most Metal band is the one the Metal police all say isn't Metal but they don't give a f'k.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Kinda getting into weird meta territory maybe, but I always kinda roll my eyes a bit when I think of bands or songs having this weird requirement to "do metal stuff"- does that somehow make me more metal? I wish there was more separation between music genres and lifestyle. I go to shows wearing colourful shirts and being polite and all that kind of stuff- and not because I somehow think it makes me more metal to not care about doing things that would make me less metal.... I mean.... what do I even mean?

I think some people get this feeling of needing to meet a certain "metalness" threshold in order to be a fan of heavy music- If you don't reference Norse mythology or Satan or gore or how "brutal" something is at least a couple of times a day, then you weren't metal that day.

And then the other side of that, when you get sort of profiled as "the metal guy", and people get surprised when you listen to (or play) something that fall outside of what they think metal is. Yes, I can be in some metal bands but also bust out some folk/cheese/dad/rock/acoustic goodness. And I can sing without screaming or growling. And I can harmonize. But nobody would assume that by looking at me.

FILTHnFEAR and bostjan like this.
  18. El Caco

I don't try to over analyse it. It's one of the few things I don't because although I show a preference to Metal I really just like what I think is good music and listen to anything that I like.

I've trolled the Metal police on more than one occasion.

I think of it like visual art. Because I am uneducated, good art is simply what appeals to me. I'm sure there are rules and categories and I'm sure there are experts who can tell you what is good and what isn't and why. I can only tell you I think that thinking is ridiculous.

Recently I went through a Doors phase, they were all I felt like listening to. Then I went through a classic rock phase. Sometimes I like to listen to Happy Hardcore. But I think every genre has music I can appreciate. And there is really popular music that does nothing for me, most of the modern progressive movement inspired largely by Periphery is stuff I don't get.

I really like how modern music is consumed though because I think if I start recording stuff it will be all over the place, one day it will be Metal, another it will be something completely different and sometimes it will be a mix. And that will probably make sure I'm never successful because apparently to be consumable you need to fit in a box and stay there.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  19. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I don't really think it's a tautology. What I meant to say is that I feel like a lot of bands problem is having only the most salient characteristic of their genre. A good song should have good songwriting, interesting sections, creative sounds, etc. Different genre's may focus more so on one than the others, but you've still gotta have a little bit of the rest in one form or the other.

And I think a lot of metal bands problem with that double edged sword is thinking that the only way to be catchy is to incorporate "cheesy" choruses. You can be plenty catchy without clean vocals at all. Like I think the chorus in this song is super catchy. It's still heavy and vitriolic and fits the vibe of the song, but if I listen to it in the car in the morning it'll be stuck in my head all day.

20. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

UNLESS you make each of your phases its own project. Then you'll be dipping into multiple boxes.

Diversify your portfolio.