Universe vs Stephen Carpenter's

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Gamba, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Gamba

Gamba Elite Troop

So Dudes.
    I`m thinking in grab a new 7 in the next few months. I would like some oppinions though
    I was thinking about grab a Universe green/black or a Stephen Carpenter's esp.
    I have played the universe before and it is awesome.I never playd Stephen Carpenter 's one, but it seems interesting.
    So, can anyone tell me something about it?
    thaks dudes

2. Zoltta

Zoltta Guns N Guitars Contributor

Wrong forum but anyway. I LOVE my ESP to death, wouldnt trade it for UV at any time. Extremely easy to play and sounds great, is all i can say

3. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I've owned 4-5 UVs and 4 Carpenter models. For the UVs, I had the UV777BK, UV7PWH, and UV7BK. For the ESPs, I had the SC607B, the SRC7, and two SC607s (one maple one mahogany).

My opinion is that despite the bloated price tag on the UV, the SC models are much higher quality guitar. Both play absolutely fantastic and with the right pickups can sound great too, but the ESPs are built w/ higher quality components/construction and are just way more solid. The SC models are fairly flawless, the only problem with them is they don't have a neck pickup or a trem. If that's a problem for you, then I'd recommend the UV. Otherwise, I'd say about every other aspect of the guitar is a +1 in ESPs favor.

For the record, the current SC models come with an arch-top mahogany body, neck-thru maple construction, EMG 81-7 pickups, Schaller locking tuners, binding, a Tone Pros string-thru bridge, etc. One is a baritone (27") that has a reverse headstock and a slimmer neck, the other is a standard scale with an regular in-line headstock and a slightly rounder neck.

So, basically both are great guitars, but a Universe might be the worst bang for the buck in the history of guitars. They play great, look great, can sound great, but in my opinion from owning 4 of each, the ESP is a higher quality instrument at half the price.

4. Scarpie

Scarpie SS.org Regular

YEAH!!!! what he said. my man zim has got great knowledge of axes. his word counts for alot man.

but personally i would favor the esp's as well, i've had two esp 7's and three universes. mahogany is the by far my all time favorite wood, and a 27" scale 7 is my dream come true. so for sound and stability, the stephen 7 has my vote

5. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Thanks for the kind words, actually my SC607B was 100% maple, and it was the best sounding one of the bunch, but yea the mahogany ones are really cool too :)

6. yevetz

yevetz I am a COCK!!!!!!!!! Contributor

I prefer Ibby :D But have nothing bad to say about ESP :D

7. Apophis

Apophis Banned

ESP for sure :agreed:

8. amonb

amonb Les Pauls forever Contributor

This is a really helpful thread cause both those guitars are ones I have considered purchasing (and still am). It is good to get some opinions head-to-head.

Cheers Gamba!

9. Cancer

Cancer Cancer:The Crucifuct

The Ibby for me too, although its a preference issue. THe SC's are amazing though, save for the bridge and pickup placement.

10. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

I'm gonna agree with Zim here, I have never played a 7 string I hated so much as the Universes. Some people can make them work, but I'm not one of them. I preferred an LTD SC207, never mind the 607's :S

11. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

The pickup placement on the SC kills it for me. :\

12. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Yeah, especially since they're EMG's. They're so fucking close to the string you can not pick properly. I came to this conclusion after playing a 207 with passives...so you can imagine what the EMG's would be like.

13. Chris

I didn't have that problem on my Hellraiser, but I hated the 707 in the neck position.

The UV, on the other hand - man, I LOVE the blaze in the neck.

14. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Get a UV7BK. The best playing 7 ever. :agreed:

15. Shawn

I do too however, for some reason, I really like the new7 neck a little better. :shrug:

16. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I'm talking about the middle position, not the fact they were EMG's :lol: I actually like EMG's, but generally only put them in a cheaper guitar to spice it up, in a higher end guitar I get passives.

17. Chris

Yeah I know. :lol: I'm a believer that middle = single coil, neck = passive. If there is no middle, right on. If the middle is an active and there is NO neck at all.. wtf? :D

18. Variant

Variant Banned

:shrug: I agree with Chris here, I fail to understand why (despite it being a singnature model) the flagship ESP seven continues to use a pickup configuration that pretty much no one else in the world besides Stef likes... or why there are five different models, yet none with a trem. :noplease: A passive pup option couldn't hurt either.

Personally, the 27" scale is a big plus, but I could pass on the mahogony, and ESP's neck profiles don't make my hands happy. They're not bad, I just prefer the thinner necks of the Ibanez and Jackson relm. My suggestion: Track down a 1077XL: Real trem, more flexible sound, 27" as well, Prestige build quality, simply the best production seven out there... better than the UV IMHO. :agreed:

19. Shawn

Maybe this'll help you~

[​IMG]

:D

20. Variant

Variant Banned

New7's are great in any other configuration besides neck/humbucking... which, unfortunately, is where most players do 90% their playing.