Unity engine/DIY games?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by SD83, Jun 30, 2016.

1. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I totally lost contact to the gaming scene over the last years, never could afford a state of the art PC or console, and it took me totally by surprise when I found out the other week that the Unity engine (and Unreal Engine 4) are free these days and in theory you can do incredible stuff with those. I've seen myself as a gamer for as long as I can remember, and I've been modding since I knew that was a thing. A lot of ideas piled up over almost twenty years, but even making a simple jump'n'run from scratch was way beyond my capacities, and professional engines where not in my budget. And suddenly, with a bit of efford (and hours of tutorials & months of practice), it seems possible... so:
    Has anyone here ever worked with any of those engines, or has played games made by amateurs with those engines, has any experiences to share?
    I'd love to create a simple jump'n'run/sidescrolling shooter similar to games I remember from my childhood, and this seems like just the chance to do it...

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I have a degree in Game Design, so yes.

Unity would probably be your best bet for doing a simple side scroller 2D game, as they have a native 2D option. We made one during our junior year, just a simple run, jump, collect stuff as you go type game and it took no time at all to do.

Been a while since I've done it, but if you do decided to start doing it, I might be able to lend some help (read as: give you some code to at least make your character move)

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've worked with both, and played lots of games made with both. They're very capable at this point, and being free makes them great learning tools. IMO, just pick one and dive in, the worst that can happen is that you learn something. I personally prefer to work with Unreal, but lots of people prefer Unity, especially for smaller "less-hardcore" games.

Really, as far as jumping into in-your-free-time indie-game-dev, all the tools are super accessible, it just takes the time, effort, etc.

4. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Nearly everyone I know has gotten tired of Unity, for various reasons, and moved to Unreal. It has its own problems, but it's where I'd start if I were looking for an outside engine. For simpler and 2Dish stuff though, I wonder if Unity would be easier to work with. I also know a couple Unity employees, who are really very nice and helpful and generally sociable. Getting the ear of someone at Unreal is much more difficult.

5. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

Unity is perfect to get started as it has a lot of very nice examples to get started with and learn from.
    The way everything is set up in the engine makes you connect the dots to understand things quite easily.
    So yea, give it a try I'd say! :D

To respond on some of the views on Unity:
    Yes, Unity is mostly known as an engine for ''small and easy development'', but I think that's mostly because 90% of small developers are using it as it's so accessible.
    Their output is then directly the image for what Unity is known for.

I've been working with it for 4 years now and the engine is perfectly capable for more, you just need the knowledge and time to put into it.

Unreal has definitely improved a lot on accessibility and ease of use with 4, from what I've seen from it so far, it was a lot harder to get started with it in the past imo.
    With getting hold of someone at Unreal I think you really need to find them at events for developers etc.
    We got in touch with them this way I believe, one of them came over to our office last year to explain Unreal 4 in comparison to Unity etc.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ This guy knows whats up. On the other end of things, Unreal is known for the big games it's been used for, but IMO is just as accessible for small games.
    I've seen/heard people switch between both engines for all kinds of reasons. That's not to say there aren't differences between the two, but unless you've got some specific requirements, it comes down to preference.