United forcibly removes customer from it's plane, because they overbooked it.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Hollowway, Apr 10, 2017.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Friendly reminder that this isn't OT, but P&CE. Please keep the discussion free of memes and the like. :yesway:

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

This is the exact reason why I fly Southwest anymore.

On my last flight they kicked the 'extra' flight attendants off to fit more paying customers on the flight.

Maybe United could learn a thing or 2 from Southwest.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

In a related story: Man kicked off aircraft for bathroom emergency

Cliffs notes version: This man needed to go to the bathroom. The flight attendant told him to hold it. 30± minutes later, the man told the flight attendant it was an emergency and he could no longer hold it, and rushed to the bathroom. When he tried to return to his seat, he was told that he was removed from the flight. The aircraft returned to the gate. The FBI was waiting to arrest the man, but ultimately decided not to do so, because he was compliant. The rest of the passengers had to deplane and be seated again after further delay at the gate.

So, first off, I really feel bad for this guy. I think this has to be the most sympathetic story I've heard along these lines. Put yourself in his shoes. What is he going to do? Relieve himself in his pants? Then they'd have to evacuate the aircraft and delay for cabin decontamination. No- this guy was figuratively between a rock and a hard place, with no option. I guess you could say that he should have went before boarding, but honestly, with all of the airlines herding people hither and yon and waiting so long on the tarmac, it's understandable.

4. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

I've done that before. Somehow the carbon monoxide detector in the bathroom went off and the flight attendant was knocking on the door and accusing me of smoking. When I got out everyone was staring but then I just sat down. I'm sure it's happened thousands of times before without incident. Makes you wonder how the airline-passenger relationship has gotten so strained and tense. I noticed the same thing about flying with guitars becoming more difficult. I think that charging for the first checked bag just set off changes that have made the whole boarding process more stressful for everyone involved and things are reaching a climax.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea why they charge for checked bags, but not carry ons. Boarding would be so much faster and less stressful if they only allowed a purse or computer bag as a carry on, and charged for anything else.

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Some airlines do charge for a carry-on and I refuse to take those flights.

I flew out to Chicago last week. The seats on planes feel like they've gotten smaller. I'm not a big dude and it was a struggle getting my bag under my seat and the seat belt on. It's capitalism gone mad. The search by airlines to make higher and higher profit margins packing everyone in like sardines. :mad:

Also, it's not the carry-on that holds up flights, it's the fact that they load planes from front-to-back rather than back-to-front. Trying to give 'elite' customers the 'superior' experience. If they loaded back-to-front nobody would be in the way to hold up boarding.

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea, one of the few times I feel a class divide in the US is when I'm flying. Even when international airlines offer this sort of thing, for many I don't feel it is as extreme. In the US you sit around for forever for like 3 tiers of premium travelers.

8. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I totally agree with the seat size statement. Im 6'8". I hate planes. But you know what hate more....someone 5'2" who wants to sit in an emergency row because they want room. :lol:

Anymore i just get wasted on plane fights to forget I'm even there :cheers:

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I feel it elsewhere as well, but it is definitely most apparent in the flying process for sure.

Here's this little nugget of classism that happened a couple of days ago as well.

http://www.salon.com/2017/04/28/labor-is-being-paid-first-again-american-airlines-investors-complain-after-company-gives-pilots-and-flight-attendants-raises/

The company does something right for their employees, and likely long-term investing as well, but it just isn't good enough for those millionaire/billionaire investors. They'd rather we all starve to death, but keep working just as hard so that they can continue to rake in profit every quarter while they insist every company cut 'costs' (AKA employees, wages, benefits, holiday mixers, unpaid overtime, etc.).

If we don't get a handle on this sort of attitude this country is going to crash hard eventually.

10. bostjan

The air travel industry is a service industry.

How they treat their passengers is really the #1 deciding factor.

The idea that all service providers are horrible might just get people to use Greyhound more. :shrug:

I work with folks who might travel to Seattle or Idaho or Minneapolis, or even Wisconsin, and prefer to drive to Montreal, fly to the nearest Canadian airport and drive back across the border in a rental car. That says a lot, considering the hassle of crossing the boarder twice and having to explain that it's simply to avoid using US air carriers.

11. Hollowway

12. bostjan

There is a "traveller's bill of rights." I suppose there is no enforcement of it, although it does not explicitly state anything about bathroom accommodations. I suppose it used to go without saying that if you were flying somewhere, you needed to be prepared to not have bathroom access for three or more hours when you board the aircraft.

Maybe we should bring back passenger blimps.

13. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

I genuinely think that there are situations where traveling by blimp would be ideal. Imagine a "cruise ship" kind of deal where you fly over the southwest and make stops along the way, but also just kick back with a cocktail and enjoy the expansive views.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Most people can barely afford the cheapest mode of air travel available to us, so I don't see an extra-luxury version of it taking off. At least not among anyone who isn't already able to fly first class as they please.

[​IMG]

If it costs 5-6 grand for just enough room to stretch your legs, could you imagine how much it would be to get on Indy's blimp there? Like 10, 15 thousand?

edit: OK I think that most of my image of the cost of flying is skewed because the place I've flown to the most is Japan which is probably one of longer and more expensive flights out there. I've paid $2,400 for the cheapest line, economy class, with two layovers.

15. bostjan

But what better way to widen the class divide than to take those people out of first class jet travel and place them on high tech blimps? Then they can take the bathrooms off of jets completely.

16. Hollowway

:lol: Careful, they might hear you! They won't take the bathrooms off the jets, though. They'll just sell them as an extra seat. No bag storage, but it has a privacy door!