Unfair banking charges fightback

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 7 Dying Trees, Aug 30, 2006.

1. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    After having been hit with a 100£ fine for being over my overdraft by 100£ following bank charges and them allowing me to take cash out while i was past my overdraft limit (something they blocked for about a year when i asked them to) I have decided whether i can join the growing legion of people challenging the ridiculous fees charged by banks for a system that costs little as it is computer automated.

I think it is worthwhile, and possibly something that, if enough people do it, can bring about a change for the better, as I know a lot of people in financial dire straits have the same problem, that being that once it starts, it's a never ending merry go round of bank charges that cause more charges.

Anyway, here's the link, instructions on how to handle it, and good luck. I know I am going to see if i can reclaim some of the ridiculous amounts of money my banks has made of me in the past few years.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1141050760,24632

2. LordOVchaoS

LordOVchaoS NUDE MAN! Forum MVP

I'm in! I don't know how man times I've been shafted by the bank because I didn't keep track and they kept letting me spend!

3. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

Well that's just good business. It's everyones responsibility to keep track of their own spending, but if you do lose track, and run out of money, I think the overdraft option is good to have, incase you need to get something but ran out of money. And if they have a rate at what they charge you for it, then so be it. That's what you get for signing on that dotted line. ;)

4. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

ah you see, the law states that a bank jmust have fair charges (proportional to it's loss) somehow i don't think that 100£ for 2 weeks at 112£ over, as well as being charged 30£ for a reversal charge in that time is fair.

I've actually read an article or two on it, as there is a lawyer here who is challenging it. Also, a lot of banks seem to be returning the money rather than having to go to court to reveal their exact costs and lose, thus setting a precedent for millions to reclaim unfair charges.

I mean, it is my own money, it is my responsibility, but to call some of the charges excessive and a joke is putting it mildly.

I mean, an overdraft limit (ie, the limit of your overdraft) should be the stopping point at which the bank refuses transactions, not the point where they cash in and make money at interest rates vastly exceeding 100%

i think, at the end of the day, it's called laws to protect the consumers, and if the office of fair trading is investigating it, then something must stink.

5. noodles

noodles Contributor

No kidding. That is one of my biggest complaints with modern banks. I don't care if it is a "reoccuring charge", just don't pay it and I'll pay that bill a little late manually.

6. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

Banker, rhyms with w... enough said.

That's piss taking in the extreme mate, I hope you get your money back. Oh, try switching to First Direct too, they're really good and you can speak to someone 24/7. Someone in this country who speaks English too, not some unintelligable foreign call centre worker.

7. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

they're still a divison of HSBC and to be honest, after my experiences with them over the past two years I don't think i'll be banking with them once i actually start earning money again. Or any of their subsiduaries.

But man, i was livid earlier. I got told to go fuck myself in no uncertain terms (ie, the banking charges are perfectely reasonable and in line with our charges) earlier on. Strange thing was that when i complained last year, i recieved the money back then, AND they changed my account to not be allowed to go past the overdraft, ie, ity just wasn't possible, and exactly the way i wanted it.

Whatever happened to the customer is king?

8. metalfiend666

In that case definitely change to First Direct. HSBC fucked me about massively, but First Direct are totally different. There the customer is king and they seem to bend over backwards to help.

9. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

I resent that :mad:

10. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

^ :lol:

You said it before I did!

11. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

:lol: Expressions from people in the UK crack me up.

12. LordOVchaoS

:lol:

A good portion of my family lives in England and some of the shit they say cracks me up! My favorite:

Fart = Windy Puff :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. metalfiend666

I wasn't offending Candians, more the guys we usually get put through to: Call centre workers in Mumbai who can barely speak English to start with AND have very thick Indain accents, so we have no chance of understanding a work they say.

So shut up ya cack-handed Canook! :fawk:

14. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

:lol:

I get calls all the time, with first thing outta their mouths being "Thank god! An American!"

Me: Actually Sir, im in Canada.

Customer: Oh, really? Can you transfer me to someone in Malaysia then?

:squint:

metalfiend666 and noodles like this.
  15. noodles

noodles Contributor

16. Mykie

Mykie Fatal Havoc

Banks suck, when I get overdrawn it's just one fee and that's it. But one fee for everything that goes over, it doesn’t recur. But its $38 each hit, ouch.

I like my piggybank better. =)

17. nitelightboy

nitelightboy I poop in shoes. Contributor

Yeah, I used to overdraft ALOT. And the last week or two I've done it a couple of times, although I've been really good the last 6 months. $35 each time and it always sucks. Fight the power!!!

And 7DT, could you say leather for me :lol:

18. LordOVchaoS

Sometimes I don't have a choice but to overdraft. If I have no money in the bank and my daughter needs food, diapers, etc... I'm going to the store and eating the charges without regret. Sure would be nice to get all those back though :D

19. Buzz762

Buzz762 Destroyer of Worlds Contributor

I thought most of the world loved canada (well, minus americans who have seen the south park movie)?

20. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Reaons like this are why credit cards are nice. I can just charge whatever on my card and pay it off at the end of the month. if i dont have enough? as long as i cover the minimum charge, thers still no fees.