UK Student Extradited to US for Piracy

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Philligan, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

2. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I'm not sure I understand the story stating that linking is legal in the UK, but that the person was in jail. What was he in jail for? Had he violated any UK laws?

Somehow, I'm feeling like the news story omitted a few details to make a point. What's missing?

3. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I'm going to second needing more details, although I am confused that someone who has never stepped foot in the United States is being extradited here, but then again I have no working knowledge of extradition laws for either country involved.

4. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

I'm guessing we two countries have a treaty stating that we will respect each others copyrights and people caught breaking them will be subject to charges in whichever respective country the copyright resides in.

5. Explorer

That still doesn't explain why he's already in jail. They wouldn't stick him in a UK prison for violating a foreign law.

----

One day, when we were reading the morning paper, I noticed a story about some homeless people who had started a fire in a house and had burned to death in the night. I was struck by the photos of the people from while they were alive... and wondered where the photos of the homeless had come from. My girlfriend was upset that I wasn't more sympathetic about their trying to stay warm.

Doing a little digging, I found out they were photos from when the people had variously been arrested for crimes both large and small, including violent crimes, including drug crimes (not simple possession).

My girlfriend apologized to me for having been suspicious of there being more to the story... but only after I showed how much more there was. *laugh*

6. C2Aye

C2Aye has the groove.

Richard O'Dwyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has a bit more info on the context of the situation. He spent one night in prison when the extradition request was made, which makes it seem like he was arrested at the request of another government. The extradition treaty between the US and the UK is very much a one-way deal which the UK having no similar powers over citizens in the US.

7. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

The USA ignore serveral international bodies of law as they see fit and expect extradition orders of their own to be carried out. This is nothing new.

8. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Bit stupid really. Our citizens who break laws in our country should be dealt with by our justice system.

9. Iamasingularity

Iamasingularity 7string Ghost

This is just unjust. Anonymous have launched Operation Retribution in regards to this case.

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

What is that going to prove though? They will just take down another website or two and people will forget about it next week :rolleyes:

I find it appaling that the US can just simply do this and get away with it. I couldn't care less if this kid has broken their laws, he was in the UK when he did it and he should be sent to trial here. It would be like me crossing the road in the middle of the street in the UK and getting a fine from the US for jaywalking :lol:

11. Explorer

Having heard many arguments for and against extradition during the whole Pinochet thing, I'm fascinated by the novel claim that someone shouldn't be extradited to a country if the crime of which they are accused wasn't performed in that country, and if the action was legal in their own country.

I'm not saying that this rises to the same level as Pinochet's actions, but just noticing that the claim is novel, and that there are many instances of successful extradition where the accused never set foot in the country pursuing extradition.

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

But the issue at hand isnt about any form of action taking place on US soil. It took place in Cyberspace. Sure some people in the USA may have clicked on his website, but because they clicked and watched the video on US soil does that make him a criminal? He never actually uploaded anything for people to watch, he simply laid the platform for others to do so. :agreed:

13. Explorer

I thought he encouraged the posting and availability of copyrighted materials, including those of copyright holders who are located in the US.

I understand your viewpoint, that a member of a carjacking ring who is in another country shouldn't be held liable if a car is stolen in the US but sent to, say, Russia. It's not a matter of where a crime has been done in this case, apparently, but where the victim is located.

----

I also understand the argument that cybercrime and pirating isn't criminal in the minds of some, but if it is recognized in the law, then invoking the cyberspace argument isn't really relevant unless you change the laws and remove the legal principle of copyright. Given that copyright is the basis of intellectual property, I don't think that will go forward.

14. Iamasingularity

No, that is not what will happen. There will be a list exposing government workers/officials use of sites such as tvshack, along with a video on the operation. Yeah attacks are aimed for gathering attention usually, not info.

I really don't get why it's so hard to understand that this extraditation law is flawed and being used for corrupt reasons. With this extraditation going through, it is a clear invitation for the US government to extradite more citizens of the UK. It's pretty obvious that tvshack is not the only link hosting site, with thousands, even more accessing such services on a daily basis. There is no question that this extraditation "agreement" is broken, a major deprivation of human rights as well as a global threat. He should be tried at his nation's court, not handed over to another government on a silver platter.

MPs: UK must overhaul US extradition treaty now | News | ZDNet UK

15. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    You know, any country with any amount of pride would protect it's citizens.

That soldier who killed a load of innocent afghans, he's not going to be tried in Afghanistan is he now.

Double standards.

Even more reasons to leave the country :/

16. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Can we extradite the people that thought this was a reasonable course of action back to reality so we can slap the shit out of them?

17. ViolaceousVerdance

ViolaceousVerdance SS.org Regular

Yes, please :agreed:

18. Iamasingularity

#OR is on course.