UK Council takes Drum Kit away from boy.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pooluke41, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 H. Maddas

This may not be big news like Aliens attacking or America electing Vermin Supreme. But I thought this would be good to share.

Teenager has drum kit confiscated by council - Telegraph

Is it just me or is this entirely unfair?

2. Gothic Headhunter

Gothic Headhunter Born on a Monday

Thats bullshit. i hope they give him back his kit.

3. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

A similar thing happened to me when I was younger...

One of my neighbours hung a microphone out of his window and recorded my playing. He then took the tape to the council and I had to stop drumming on my acoustic kit permanently. 4 or 5 years later I scraped enough money to buy an electric kit and could finally practice again on something other than pillows.

Bottom line neighbours are pieces of shit.

4. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

Another reason why America is still better... for now.

5. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Wow... At least his parents are supportive though. Only 20 minutes a day?

6. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

:noplease:

Seriously, my former drummer would play his drums from sun up to sundown every day. The amount of fucks given were = 5^2-25. Can't understand why just 20 minutes a day with even a break all day sunday is somehow detrimental enough to society to warrant confiscating personal property...

7. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

:lol:

£3000 kit? The little fucker is spoilt anyway, why does he need a £3000 kit to practise 20 mins a day? Just put fucking pads on the kit, if you can afford 3 grand then pads isn't going to dent the pocket :lol:

8. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

The obvious solution is to find the loudest kit in the world and send it to this kid.

9. morbider

morbider O.o

I think the kid was being quite considerate with the hours he chose to play to be honest.

10. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

This kind of shit irritates me. I bet he isn't even that loud. There's a real problem with neighbours in this country not actually talking to one another like fucking adults. Instead of going to them directly and asking if there was a way they could compromise, they decided to be pussies about it and go behind their backs, taking away something a kid enjoys.

It's only 20 fucking minutes anyway. We get loud as fuck dustbin lorries driving down our street at God knows white time in the morning. My solution? I listen to music. Problem solved.

11. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Reread the article man. The kid DID put pads on the kit, and they still took it away... :nuts:

12. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Even still there is a lot more red tape to go through in the US for stuff like this and it doesn't lead to confiscation. I can't believe that was even possible. A cop would literally laugh in your face in the US if you said someone was being loud between 4 and 6.

13. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

One good thing about growing up in an extremely rural environment, nobody can hear you.

I can play as loud as I want any time of the day pretty much.

14. Powermetalbass

Powermetalbass Powermetalbassist

In parts of Canada there are 24 hour bylaws, which can result in a complaint leading to a warning from the police....but that is usually it. That kid was within his rights. Next time the neighbour fires up the lawnmower....call the cops and make a noise complaint. the lawnmower is probably louder then the kids drums anyway.

15. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

No joke when I lived in an apartment, I was in college so my hours were wonky, and I was awakened on several occasions to loud ass lawn equipment.

16. WickedSymphony

WickedSymphony SS.org Regular

The neighbor problem isn't just in your country, it's out here too. Couple weeks ago my friend was over and we went out to get shakes at night (around 10pm or so) and when we came back there was no parking left nearby (I live in what are considered town homes in this neighborhood, so shared parking spaces) and my house doesn't have a drive way, so I parked as close up to my garage door (garage is full of my brother's crap so couldn't park in there) as I could and was gonna take my friend's spot when he left. Then some asshole neighbors, at midnight, call the neighborhood security to call a tow truck for my car. Luckily, the security at least gave us a call first so it wouldn't get towed, but it was pretty fucked. My car was sticking out into the street MAYBE 2-3 feet. And it's not like we were even bothering anyone or being loud, we were just sitting my room playing video games.

And back when I was in high school I would jam with my friend once or twice a month in the afternoon, around 2pm, for an hour or so and his neighbor threatened to call the cops on us for the noise. It was just the 2 of us using a basic drum kit and a 30w combo amp.

I really don't understand what some people's problems are that they have to act like assholes to their neighbors.

17. C2Aye

C2Aye has the groove.

Sucks for the kid.

And you get shit neighbours everywhere. I'm just lucky that my downstars neighbour at my uni flat gives my flatmate and I free eggs from her chickens, vegetables that she grows and is just generally awesome to us.

18. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

It's because a majority of people nowadays have grown up to be massive pussies and either

A: Don't have the balls to just go talk to their neighbor if they're doing something loud (and I mean like playing a musical instrument, or watching tv loud, if someone is screaming/cussing/breaking shit it's perfectly okay to just call the cops in my opinion, because going up to someones door when they're freaking out like that could end very badly for you)

and/or

B. Feel that they have the right to not be ever bothered by anything ever. If you so much as make enough of a sound that they even REMEMBER that someone else lives on the same block as them, they want you to go fuck yourself as hard as you fucking can and will do whatever sneaky, dickfaced thing they can to make that happen.
    Cursing added to express annoyance of crappy, shortsighted neighbors. :)

19. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

People can be fucking pricks. :shrug:

20. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Back when my sister, her husband, and their kids all lived with my parents and I, the kids (all boys under the age of 8 at the time) kept accidentally letting our new beagle puppy out the front door. The pup would run around the neighborhood not really hurting anything until it either got tired and came back or was caught by one of the neighborhood kids, who seemed to actually get a kick out of trying to catch it. On one occasion, though, a cop came to our door and told us that there have been complaints of us letting our dog roam the neighborhood. My dad told him it wasn't intentional, and the cop said the next time they received a complaint they would send animal control to take the puppy away.

I can't even begin to describe how livid I was. It just seemed like complete and utter bullshit that someone couldn't be adult enough to just come knock on our door and talk things through with us. It's not like whoever complained didn't know whose dog it was, either, since they apparently knew our address to have the cops sent to it. After the cop left I actually went outside and walked up to a few adults I saw standing out in their yards and asked them if they were the ones who called the cops. They all said no, of course, but whether or not all of them were telling the truth, I made sure to make it perfectly clear (not dickishly, though) that if they ever have any sort of problem with someone or something involving my family, then please for the love of Iommi just come knock on my door. We don't bite, we're reasonable, and we want to make the neighborhood a nice place for everyone.

Man, I'm getting all mumbly grumbly just thinking about it...