Two-Notes Torpedo Captor

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by maggotspawn, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Marco.au

Marco.au SS.org Regular

Hi there.
    First post here. With much anticipation, I’ve tried the torpedo captor this Saturday. Everything was going fine with the shop’s amp through a small mixer to hear the amp through the headphone monitor.
    Then I connected it to my vox ac10. Disaster! All I could hear was this high pitch squeal. I’ve tried to change all possible knobs, to no avail. Has anyone experienced something like that?
    I wanted so much for this to work, to have the vox sound through headphones...

2. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

part of the reason i bought the captor is because of the WOS plugin. i do have a couple other ir loaders and a couple other ir's, but i don't feel i should have to use those (unless one had already purchased other 3rd-party ir's that they love).

update:
    i plugged in my 5150 and tweaked the WOS plugin some more. finally i was able to get it to sound more like what i'm used to (5150 > mesa OS 412) so that's a plus.

i can still hear the direct signal coming out of the captor itself as if there is a speaker inside it...

when running dual-cabs, the exciter section of the plugin makes that particular cab get muted and can't be brought back unless the plugin is removed and re-added.

reaper crashes 1 out of 5 times i run the WOS plugin. i'm going to update reaper to the newest version. Also i'm running Mavericks on my mac, but i downloaded the appropriate version of WOS for that.

i feel a bit better about the captor, but its going to take a lot more messing around, etc before i feel 'good' about this purchase.

3. buriedoutback

PS two notes support advises:
    "When you play your amplifier through a Torpedo product which embeds a reactive loadbox (Torpedo Live, Studio, Reload, Captor), you may hear the sound of your instrument coming out of the box of the Torpedo, like there were a small speaker inside. This is perfectly normal and there is no reason to worry."

4. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

Test of the Two Notes Torpedo Captor. 3 takes were recorded at the same time. The Captor's internal Cab Sim, Captor Direct with an IR, and the line out of the Peavey JSX with an IR. No post EQ added, just normalized the clips. This is the 16 ohm Captor. When I was recording it, I was WTF, why does it sound so fizzy? Turned out I had direct monitoring on in my audio interface, derp. Had to cut the treble and presence quite a bit on my amp. I tried out the attenuator too. 20db is a drastic amount. The attenuator didn't sound any better then the amp at the same volume, due to the Peaveys excellent MV. Might work good for non master volume amps though.

MrYakob and steinmetzify like this.
  5. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

I just received it this monday and OHHHH MAN!!! that EVH III sounds killer with 4 cabinets on the WOS software...MASSIVE!!!

PBGas likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

I was really interested in getting this but I'm picking up kind of a mixed vibe from early adopters. One thing that I'm noticing in some of the demos is that it kind of seems to have that "blanket thrown over the cabinet" sound going on that I'm not digging. I'll probably wait it out a bit longer until the honeymoon reviewers disappear and people can attest to the durability.

7. MrYakob

MrYakob SS.org Regular

Got mine in the mail 2 days ago, the attenuator was a big draw for me on this so that I could play through an amp and cab at home again and boy does that part ever work well! Haven't had the time to dive in to the WoS stuff but I did briefly try out the onboard sim for a few minuted and it seemed decent. Really looking forward to tinkering with IRs though,

8. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

I got mine about a week ago and love it. Attenuation is great for a 100w amp at the volumes I play at home, DI line is very clean and the cab sim is passable. Great unit for the price

9. maggotspawn

Test #2 of the Captor. JSX, NadIR with homebrewed IR's of my Peavey 412MS cab. A little reverb from a Replifex in the loop.
    RG7420 with Duncan Distrotions. Sorted out my monitoring this go round.

10. Dabo Fett

Dabo Fett SS.org Regular

Horsham, PA but straight from Long Island
    Anybody have personal experience with this vs the two notes reload yet?

11. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

Du
    Dude your IR sound awesome!! Share?

12. maggotspawn

Alex79 likes this.
  13. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

14. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

HEy dude, same thing happened to me but i think it was a user error. I accidentally turned on phantom power for the dry output, turned it off and played and heard that squeal. Another thing I did was making sure that the output level to amp volume ratio were not giving me any digital clipping in my DAW. I recommend putting an EQ in your fx chain in the DAW and the meter will tell you if you have digital clipping. Once i did all that my EVH 3 sounded GODLY! but found out one of my preamp tubes is out and not much gain is going out.

15. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

I hear you man, just yesterday I was paying more attention to its output levels and avoided digital clipping which is pretty easy to get if you don't watch out for it. Enjoy your captor! Cheers. I have a 50 watt EVH volume level on 4 and out level on captor on 1, and soundcard on about 6 sounds very good!

16. blacklava

blacklava SS.org Regular

Hi guys, first post on SevenString:)

I'm a CabClone owner (despite being considered the worst gear ever etc etc), I know the passive out sucks so I've always used it with the dry lineout and Ownhammer IRs. Result is really good imho, so I'm wondering if this Torpedo Captor would be a real improvement (being reactive instead of resistive) or not.

DJPenguins likes this.
  17. buriedoutback

a little update: I'm using the newest version of WOS in mac osx sierra and all the functionality is working fine. I was messing with mixing 2 cabs together and getting some much better tones!! I'm much happier than on day 1. I'm in the middle of recording my bands ep, so I'll post it up when it's done.
    ps: I'm using the xlr out and running phantom power from my interface to power the captor. How is everyone running theirs?

18. buriedoutback

^^^ i actually rtfm and its says to use the line out (trs) into wos. gonna try that when i get a minute and see what difference it makes.

19. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

any difference?

20. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

Guys do yourself a favor and try this trick with your WOS plugin!

maggotspawn, DJPenguins and odibrom like this.