Two-Notes Torpedo Captor

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by maggotspawn, Jan 20, 2017.

1. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I went with club bass in Toronto. I'm not familiar with them, but the reviews of the store/owner were so good that I took a chance. I emailed them in advance and got a pleasant reply the same afternoon I think.
    Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll ship before the 19th.
    So far the reviews are positive as posted above, so I'm excited. Gonna go hm300 > 5150 > captor > pesonus > imac with reaper for my bands EP.
    For anyone interested, here's the link : http://www.clubbass.ca/loadboxes/two-notes-torpedo-captor.html

PBGas likes this.
  2. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

You realize that available Monday or Tuesday, is September 18th or 19th, so essentially the exact same timeline right?

3. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Digging Rabea's review. Definitely going to be getting one of these in the new future.

Blytheryn likes this.
  4. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

I think I understand how this works correctly, but I've never used anything like it before so I want to clarify.

I have a PRS Archon 25w 1x12 combo. With this, I could bypass the speaker and simulate a 4x12 via WOS for recording purposes, right? Will 25w of power be sufficient to get good studio-ish quality tones for metal?

5. odibrom

odibrom .

With these things, amp power becomes less meaningful. 25w should be enough, metal tones will come mostly from the preamp section of your amp.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

considering how bands like Queen used Vox AC30s and toured with them for years, yeah it would work fine. It probably won't sound like the 100 version of the archon just due to the headroom that the 100w and the fact that they use different tubes for the power amp, but it'll work fine.

7. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

Awesome, thanks guys. I mostly find recording to be really tiresome and un-fun but I seem to constantly have this itch to do it anyway, and I'm kind of sick of the sounds I'm getting with VST plugins. I love the Archon so I may have to pick one of these up.

8. MrYakob

MrYakob SS.org Regular

I do, but mine is shipping from the States rather than from within the country so it will most likely take longer crossing the border. But no matter, I've waited months at this point so a few more days is nothing :lol:

Digging the sounds from Rabea's video, Fluff's didn't do much for me but he definitely didn't go as in depth with his sounds.

9. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

With these things I can stick my JCM 800's master on 10 and not worry about being torn apart from the inside out.

odibrom likes this.
  10. odibrom

odibrom .

Also that. I mean Power amp becomes less meaningful because one doesn't use it to get the necessary volume to be heard, one can go either with a 25W or 100W amp (these are limited to 100w, right?) to record silently at home, so whatever floats your boat is ok, I guess...

This also means that there might be an hight power amp sellings increase due to these things... or maybe not.

11. buriedoutback

As per Club Bass website : "Update Sept. 18 Captor shipment is in transit to us now. It'll arrive at our shop this week.
    Stock has been allocated for customer Pre-delivery orders."

12. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

GAS got the best of me. I was going to wait on more first hand experience from people, but the reviews I've seen looked positive. Sweetwater phoned me and said they had them, but not a lot of them, so I jumped on a 16 ohm one. Can't wait.

MrYakob likes this.
  13. buriedoutback

14. buriedoutback

First impressions:
    I can hear my guitar coming out of the captor.... I don't know if it's supposed to do that....
    The ground lift button needs to be pressed pretty hard or it won't disengage...
    The stock cabs are ok...going to have to check out some other cab options (two notes or otherwise)...
    If I use the wall of sound plugin, the sound gets all fucked if I try use the eq or dynamics section of the plugin...like it'll sound decent then I just touch the dynamics knob and it looses all top end and goes weird mono-ish.... I have to remove the plugin and re-add it...
    Reaper crashed once while using the plugin...
    I only had about an hour yesterday to mess with it, but I'm not overly impressed... Sounds pretty meh and 1/2 the software doesn't work right....
    I was using my triple rec (which I'm selling) yesterday, but I brought home my 5150 and hm300 pedal today to give it a fair chance (5150 is my tone) so I'll report back... Hopefully tonight I can mess with it more....I see potential but we'll see....

15. aqa

aqa SS.org Regular

Buriedoutback, if wall of sound is giving you problems, Use Pulse or another IR Loader, make sure you have impulse responses

16. rickgk

rickgk SS.org Regular

I just purchased a Captor and the -20db attenuated out makes my amp sound really thin and fizzy, it sounds nothing like my amp sounds plugged in directly to my cab.
    Even my amp at very low volume sounds much better than using it with the captor
    Anyone else experiencing similar results?

17. maggotspawn

What are you running the attenuated out to?

18. rickgk

rickgk SS.org Regular

To my mesa 1x12 cab.

19. maggotspawn

How loud do you have the amp?

20. rickgk

rickgk SS.org Regular

Ive tried the whole range of volumes, but mostly turned up to the same relative volume in the room as I was running the amp direct.