Twin Peaks: Is it worth the showtime subscription?

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Ebart, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I am extremely happy with how that ended.

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'm still trying to unpack the ending.

What seems to me is that
    once Cooper reunited with real Diane/eyeless girl (?...!...?), Cooper's face faintly superimposed over the screen suggested some sort of divergence in reality- perhaps entering Cooper's dream- where he still believes that he can save Laura. He tries to take her from the lodge, but she disappears. He envisions that he could have prevented her murder or that she is someone someplace else (yet still in trouble) but it still won't work. Maybe it has something to do with that symbol that Jeffries showed Cooper- the ant-face thing that Evil Cooper was looking for and that Hawk seemed to regard as an unspeakable evil- it seemed to connote a deliberately-misleading path.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I recently finished the first two seasons from the 90s just a week or two ago. I really loved the show! Definitely one of the best I've seen in a while. It appeals to me on a few levels:
    -it's a detective/murder-mystery story, which is one of my preferred entertainment genres
    -it has that Pretty Little Liars method of continually tricking you into going after the "next" bad-guy without letting you notice it.
    -it has that Lost quality of having the audience question what's "really" happening the whole time without ever giving you the answer, but making you always feel like you're just about to get the answer

That's why, as I am about 3 episodes into the new season, I'm kinda disappointed that it's just trying to ride that cult-wave of over-the-top artsy strangeness and not attempting to do what the first/second season did.

My question is: Would I be better to put the new episodes on pause and go back and watch Fire Walk With Me? Because I haven't seen that yet. Do the new episodes digest better with a stomach full of backstory?

4. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Your question requires a two part answer, one: Yes, you should watch Fire Walk With Me before continuing onward, it's great and functions as a sort of prequel/sequel to the first two seasons. There are elements of the story in Season 3 that are introduced in FWWM so technically it's necessary for comprehension of some basic plot points.

To answer the second part of your question: No, not really. Season 3 is a very different beast from Seasons 1 and 2, it's absolutely not trying to recapture the feeling of the first two seasons (it's actually closer in feel to FWWM in tone, I think) and while I loved it overall I've seen some people who are fans of the first two and FWWM and were well versed in the lore of Twin Peaks who absolutely despised the third season.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    vilk likes this.
  5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yes, those shows would not exist without it and definitely were aping it in some regards. I personally felt some of it was so dated that I occasionally was taken out of it. I also didn't like the back half of season 2 at all, until that wonderful finale.

Huh? What do you think it's "riding the wave of?!" The third season is pure undistilled David Lynch and it's really hard to take at times, but due to the way it developed I ended up loving it. A couple of the episodes are just utterly great. GOT A LIGHT?!?!?!

The only thing I can figure is that you think it's copying things that are copies of Lynch, which is kind of funny. It's kind of like, say, someone listened to At the Gates for the first time in 2018 with their newest album and were like "man, this is really copying all those melodic death metal bands of the last 20 years."

YES, DEFINITELY do that. The new season is vastly more in the tone of Fire Walk With Me than the first two seasons, and there are many, MANY direct references to it. Make sure you watch the deleted scenes ("Missing Pieces") as well - they're another hour and a half or so. The new series has a ton of stuff that will not make sense AT ALL without having seen it, and they just drop it in there assuming that you know what happened.

I also connected with Fire Walk With Me utterly and think it is Lynch's masterpiece other than maybe Mulholland Drive. It's REALLY, REALLY raw and scorching in the back half. You can tell he loved the character of Laura Palmer and wanted to breathe life into her, and it really manages to do justice to the character and make that gigantic pile of contradictions from the series all tie together and make sense as a person. And holy shit, does it get horrific. I can't recommend it enough. A lot of people loathe it, both on its own merits and for not feeling at all like the series after the first few sections, but I think it's more than worth the risk. It's easily the best thing in the entire mythos. Only that episode where we finally see Bob compares - that ending with the two gorgeous Julee Cruise songs is really haunting and remains possibly the most disturbing thing I've ever seen on a TV show, despite being "mild" enough to play on network TV in 1990.

Necris and vilk like this.
  6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I think you misunderstood what I meant; I meant the show is riding its own wave of cult following for the over-the-top artsy weirdness. I'm not trying to say it's jumping on any kind of fad/popularity band wagon. It's jumping on its own niche band wagon :lol:

The point I was trying to get at is that season 3 doesn't even attempt to recreate the more reality-based aspects of season 1/2, which is disappointing to me on account of that the over-the-top artsy strangeness sections of the first seasons were so good to me for the very reason that they so starkly contrast was appeared to be such a "normal" show.

Makes me feel like one of the main draws and reasons why the show is popular for most other viewers is only because of the weirdness/art factor? But that's not the only reasons that I liked it.

I mean, I get that it's a continuation, so there's no necessity to go backwards and reestablish the settings and characters of Twin Peaks. But that setup in season one is one of the best parts about it, in my opinion. But like I said, I haven't finished this new season yet, I think I only watched the first 3 episodes. Maybe four.

But I know what I'm watching tonight! Fire, Walk With Me!! They got the whole thing on Youtube apparently

7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

There was always a huge tension with Twin Peaks where the two showrunners were at odds - David Lynch wanted to go weirder, Mark Frost wanted to keep it coherent and kept it grounded enough to keep it on the air, but with the Showtime series Lynch was given free reign to go as weird as he wanted. Thus a lot of callbacks to the original series are the weirdest aspects. Garmonbozia (creamed corn that represents literal pain and sorrow) is a HUGE one. There's certainly stuff for the people who liked the characters on the original, but it's mainly a continuation of Fire Walk With Me tonally. What you're describing is a problem a lot of people had with both FWWM and the new series. Still, there are a few moments in it, particularly in the back half, which should pretty much make you stand up and cheer if you're a fan of the more normal stuff.

Again, I think you might have to watch the first three episodes over again after seeing the movie. Like, they introduce David Bowie's character from the movie with no explanation in the first episode of the Showtime series, IIRC. The ring from the movie and its symbol are referenced a great many times. The "jumping man" and where he lives is very important. Etc.

Necris and vilk like this.