Twin Peaks: Is it worth the showtime subscription?

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Ebart, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Ebart

Ebart SS.org Regular

Long time (read: early 90's when the first 2 seasons were on TV) fan of the show, however I've seen very little fanfare on social media praising it, or even mentioning the new season on Showtime. Has anyone been watching it? Is it worth the $10/mo showtime subscription to watch, or am I better off just pretending the new season never happened and saving my money?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

there's free streaming options out there. try project-free-tv.ag or putlocker but make sure you have a good popup blocker/adblocker. Probably the best way to check out the show and save your money at the same time

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

You read "social media" for TV reactions??? And whose reactions are you looking for? The praise from all TV-related sites I read has been rapturous (AV Club, Birthmoviesdeath, Uproxx, etc), and from Lynch fans it's even moreso.

It depends what you're looking for from it. If you just want more wacky parody-of-soap-opera stuff that uses regular TV pacing like the original generally was, you will likely be confused and disappointed. If you got into the horrific Black Lodge stuff (ex, you thought the Bob reveal episode was the high point of the series and loved the finale), you might like it. If you love Fire Walk With Me (I like it more than the series by a large amount and think it's his best movie after Mulholland Dr), you'll probably really like it. If you like Inland Empire too, you'll probably think it's pretty great.

It's REALLY arty and weird, especially in the first few episodes, and the more straightforward plot stuff with Cooper and all the old characters and whatnot is paced quite differently from the regular. I loved the first two episodes and am getting a bit fed up with the stretched-out Cooper stuff right now, but there's really great stuff in all of the episodes. As a warning, it has heavy continuity with Fire Walk With Me, so if you haven't seen that and have just seen the show, you might be left even more confused than you would be otherwise without it. There's lots of Garmonbozia. I think that once
    Cooper regains his memory
    it will be a lot less difficult.

DO NOT use that project-free-TV unless you want to risk lots of malware, it's as sketchy as you can get, plus there's no reason to use it for Twin Peaks right now. The first two episodes are available totally for free right now, and depending on what version of the service you sign up for, you can get free Showtime app time and at least see all the current episodes and either another week (or month) of the new episodes at no cost. IIRC the device-based versions (firestick, appletv, etc) are a month and ones like the xbox/ps4 app are a week. I just bought the subscription outright to support this endeavor.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Ebart likes this.
  4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

If it helps, consider that the $10/month also gets you on-demand access to Showtime's inventory of other shows and movies. They're also carrying the original Twin Peaks series and Fire Walk With Me so people can catch up.

It has been very good so far with pacing being the only real issue in places.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I'm 90% sure it's in Netflix. Wife and I sat through the first episode. Fucking weird and not for me. But I definitely didn't pay anything. Check that when you get home. US obviously.

6. wankerness

It's not.

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

They must have pulled it recently then because I know I watched all of S1 on Netflix maybe a year ago, just to see what it was all about

8. wankerness

The OP's question was "is it worth paying for the new season [produced by Showtime, currently airing once a week, and called 'Twin Peaks the Return']," not "how do I see the old seasons that I already saw in the 90s." Yeah, the old show is on Netflix.

Mathemagician likes this.
  9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Oh ok cool. I didn't know it was back. I just thought guy wanted some nostalgia in his life.

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Oh man, I was thinking the post a few back where they said 'the first episode' was in relation to the entire SERIES, which - while far less weird than season 3's episode 1, is still weird on it's own; so thats why when I read it as a newcomer watching the series and saying it's on Netflix, then seeing, "No it's not," seemed very odd since it (the original run) has been on there for a while.

11. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

The new season is amazing, it starts off quite different from the way it was back then and with each episode it slowly gets back to the classic Twin Peaks which I think is genius!

12. wankerness

The last episode was the first that felt similar to a classic Twin Peaks episode for anything close to the duration. I'm fine with the weirder stuff, but it was still kind of thrilling seeing so much with the old cast, plus some of the character reveals related to the old series are so damn satisfying (Diane's big scenes last episode in particular). I am not always happy with the content of each episode, but it's so damn exciting to see every episode and how the plot is slowly coming together. It's very rare that I'm so excited for each episode of a show, and so pissed about the week-long breaks due to holidays (July 2nd? CMON, who cares!!). Fargo S2 and Game of Thrones seasons 3 or 4 are the only other times I've been so hyped each week.

13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Waiting patiently for the whole run to air, then going to do a Showtime add-on through Amazon and binge the whole thing :lol:

Explorer likes this.
  14. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

The end of the episode that just aired scared my wife so much that she needed to do shots to calm down. We're getting our dollar's worth of David Lynch here.

15. wankerness

Ha, yeah. I knew last night's episode was going to cause a tremendous amount of people to declare it "the most artistic/amazing thing ever filmed" and plenty more declaring it the worst thing they'd ever seen. I really liked it, but still kind of have to roll my eyes at the first group since I'm sure a lot of them are like that Homer Simpson gif that was all over Twitter. It was great, but "BEST EVER" "AMAZING" etc? I don't know about that!

I really liked most of it, but the nuclear stuff did go on too long. That first shot of the nuke from far away, though, oh man. And I thought it was fairly coherent in rough concept from the nuke through the Laura Palmer orb, just obviously the details were completely obscure. I loved the horror movie that finished it up.

16. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Late to the party here but always happy to come across more Twin Peaks fans. This season has been great so far. I can't believe the season is nearing its end. The very few times I think I'm onto something Lynch throws a curveball and I'm right back to being completely lost in the best way possible.

I've been trying to do my best to finish up the book before the season ends. There's a lot of references to the Secret History of Twin Peaks and The Missing Pieces (deleted scenes). Pretty cool to see certain things come full circle given the massive gap.

17. wankerness

Yeah, missing pieces and FWWM are all over the place.

The last episode had the most blatant fanservice of the whole revival with Ed and Norma. I think basically anyone who's ever been a Twin Peaks fan would have been overjoyed by that! I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I don't think it will. David Lynch might have a ton of darkness in his material, but deep down I think he's a sap. I love that he had James sing that infamous song again in its entirety.

18. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I had never seen Twin Peaks or FWWM before this summer. While I'd heard a new season was in production I didn't know when it was due to air and by pure coincidence I completed Season 2 and FWWM on the exact day the pilot aired. So I actually did buy a showtime subscription specifically for the Twin Peaks revival. I think it's been worth the money.

Showtime announced that there will be an 18 hour marathon beginning at 4am next Sunday, culminating in the two part finale, so if you want to binge watch it - and think you have the stamina - mark your calendars.

19. wankerness

I would very strongly advise against bingeing the new season. It's VERY weird and intentionally full of long awkward pauses and meditative scenes. And almost every episode fades out with a long musical number to help you resituate yourself and decompress. Doing it all in one shot would be MURDEROUS. I almost think that it will be re edited into a cohesive unit at some point.

The new episode has a lot more stuff that is very exciting and pays off the season big. It's going way too FAST now. This one ends with pure fan service the way the last one began!!

20. wankerness

Second to last episode was incredible and unexpectedly made me really emotional at the end. The alternate fate of Laura Palmer, skipping the hell cabin, was exactly what I wanted to see when I watched Fire Walk With Me. The last episode was a GIGANTIC frustration, probably by design!! I mean, she clearly got thrown into some kind of alternate timeline, but this was too much. And was this evil coop? I don't think it was supposed to be either. Who knows. I doubt we'll ever get a season 4, unfortunately.