Twangy "proggyalt rock" testmix for my upcoming band! [Pod X3, Trilian, SD2 etc)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by hypotc, Apr 29, 2016.

1. hypotc

hypotc Music is math

Hello folks.

I've been recording a song for my upcoming band project, and I was wondering if anyone had any comments regarding the mix. The instrumental isn't 100% finished and I threw in some filler after the second chorus as of now.

We're gonna release some demos, and this is the current sound I've got going for the band.

Any opinions on levels? Anything sticking out, sounding uncomfortable etc?

I used my Pod X3 Live (Replacing with a Pod HD500X soon!) for guitars, Trilian for bass and SD2.0 (+ some samples) for drums. Once the song is finished I will record real bass of course.

MP3:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/38xpst8604trfns/jam74 smilefjes.mp3?dl=0

All feedback is greatly appreciated!:bowdown:

2. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Really digging this, man.

I think the guitars sound fine already (I probably wouldn't rerecord them with a POD HD500X tbh), but I feel they could use a little more high end. If there are going to be vocals, however, I feel this might not be necessary.

The drum processing sounds great, but I can't help feeling that the snare and kick (mainly snare) stand out a bit too much. I felt this way about Interval's The Shape of Colour when it was first released, too. Maybe lower them by a db or two each, idk.

Those extra guitars at 3:03 or so sound nice too, but could use a few decibels of volume reduction too.

3. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

The section that comes in at :53 really pulls you along - everyone else, when I'm telling people your drums sound too "square" or stiff or sitting too much on the beat or some other semi-comprehensible borderline nonsense, I mean they DON'T feel like this does.

I would say I generally tend towards liking stuff that is either angry or miserable but this is really uplifting without being goofy.

I worry if you re-record the guitars you'll improve the sound of the guitars individually at the expense of the overall sound - they fit really well as they are. That section at 2:12 is for me improved by the fact the guitars sound a bit... let's say "non-standard". There's almost a dance music or drum and bass sort of production feel to the guitars in parts and it makes the track stand out in the crowd for me.

4. hypotc

hypotc Music is math

Thanks guys! I noticed that I accidently rolled of the "Cut" knob on my Pod floor unit while I was moving my jack cable, so the guitars in the chorus and some parts at the end actually has less high end than the other parts. I will rerecord them tomorrow with my X3.

I'll look into rerecording once I get a nice tone out of my HD500X (it will still be the AC30 model with snappy highs etc)

I really like loud drums, but I agree that the kick and snare stand out a little too much, and will probably be annoying once the vocals are on top! :)

5. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

You can get a mean lead tone with the AC30 model in the POD HD series

https://youtu.be/-1oMDuMAaXM?t=16s

The rest of the drum levels sounded pretty good, came out much better than anything I've made before haha (I suck at drum processing)

6. hypotc

hypotc Music is math

Great! I'll check out that video when I'm back home. I"ll post a new version once I have lowered the snare and some kick, and rerecorded guitars!

7. jasonsansburn

jasonsansburn Bleep Blerp Bleep

This is awesome don't change anything

8. dimensional audio

dimensional audio SS.org Regular

I think the snare needs a little less body and more high end especially for this kind of mix

What settings and preset did you use with trillian? I could never get it to sound good

9. hypotc

hypotc Music is math

Thanks man!

Here is my patch for Trilian. I bounce the midi file to wav, and duplicate it to two tracks, where one track is just the bass frequencies with hard compression and the other the mid/high frequencies with some distortion etc.

Here's the trilian patch:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/75bl92difvl0coj/BRUK DEN HER I GUESS.prt_trl?dl=0

Here's an example of soloed bass/bass with drums:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8oroblkgr6urk9h/jam solobassdrums.mp3?dl=0

Keep in mind that I have zero clue on bass mixing, I just think it sounds good in the mix. :)

10. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Yeah honestly dude this sounds fantastic. I don't feel qualified to give you advice as I feel this is better than anything I could do. The drums sound great. The way the guitar/bass tone blends together is perfect. Overall the levels are balanced well too.
    Great job mixing/producing this. Great job composing it too, the song is fun and interesting!

11. hypotc

hypotc Music is math

Super late reply here. Thanks again for the feedback.

I'm thinking about sellling my HD500X and keep using my X3. I have so many usable patches on my X3 and i don't quite have the time to keep dialing in lots of new tones. I can't seem to replicate the twangy tone I've got on my X3 either, so I guess I'll revert back to the old setup soon. :)