1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Something I've been experimenting with recently is using a seven string for the core riff, and then using a six in an open tuning, such as open Bsus2 (BF#BF#BC#) to create a complimentary part. Got the idea from Strapping Young Lad originally...
    It's an amazing sound, especially for big layered chords, a la Queensryche, but the problem is, it means I may have to start looking for a guitar buddy if I want to do it live (although with the current state of my band, there's not much chance of that happenning any time soon...).
    Anyone else tried similar experiments?

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Doesn't Matthias IA Eklund use a Bsus2 tuning as well?

My seven string guitar stays in one of two tunings almost all of the time, but I use lots of six string guitar/bass alternate tunings. I tune my baritone six to G#D#A#F G#C# (fifths and a minor triad, low to high)

If you really want to talk about tunings, I've got a 19-EDO tuned six string, and I hope to have a 19-EDO seven sometime soon. (couple months ?)

3. distressed_romeo

Mathias Ekhlund uses a couple of B tunings, but they're slightly different to the one I described. That baritone tuning's intriguing...I want to try it now, but my baritone's at home (currently tuned in fourths!).:(
    The 19 notes-per-octave thing's cool, but I already play a fretless six, so I can have as many notes per octave as I want!:)

4. bostjan

I always thought the tuning for Led Zeppelin's "The Rain Song" was nifty: D G C G C D. A couple cool variations of this for seven string:
    G D G C G C D - super low one- finger power chords, rich open chord voicings
    A D G C G C D - more like standard, but the open A is a little useless compared to the G

Try these out on acoustic seven with heavy strings if you can :D

oops this has kind of been discussed already: alternate tunings

5. Akrin

Akrin 5/4 > most

His 'main' tuning is C#sus4 - C# G# C# F# G# C#

He also uses A#m13, which is the same with with the low C# down to A# - A# G# C# F# G# C#

6. distressed_romeo

I think he mainly uses those tunings for rhythm...all the leads are in standard or e flat tuning.

7. Akrin

Akrin 5/4 > most

As far as I've seen, the leads are in the same tunings as the rhythms. Otherwise how would he play them live? :idea:

8. distressed_romeo

I can't imagine having all my lead patterns rearranged like that when I take a solo, although I'm aware Michael Manring does it all the time...eeek!:bowdown:

9. bostjan

Does he play them live? He's never come to the d, but I can't blame him. :ugh: