Tunings you use the most?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by vejichan, Feb 19, 2017.

1. 8_8-88-8_8_88_8_88_8_8-8_

8_8-88-8_8_88_8_88_8_8-8_ SS.org Regular

Capo. Spider Capo. Spider Capo. More frets, longer scales. I'm even trying to get custom pins made for the spider capos, have a guy here that wants to fabricate a bunch for me out of something else.

Just in case someone from the spider capo company sees this, stop fking charging $30 for a stick you can get from asia for $5. Everybody should just get spider capo alternatives from aliexpress. Just make a good stick and charge people for exotic pins, they will have different tones and you can get return customers instead of having to charge people $30 for something that clearly doesn't need to cost $30. More people using them would make them realize that they're actually one of the best things ever and then you'd start making pins and I wouldn't have to CALL PEOPLE TO CUSTOM FABRICATE OBSCURE PINS FOR A TOOL THEYVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE

2. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau ESP obsessed

C# standard is the magic tuning for me.

3. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Good old drop c and b for me.

I do a lot of writing in b but band practice is mostly in c. I play everything the same in both tunings, no transposing. Things generally sound better that half step up in the band.

4. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Open C, Open Bb, Open G (GDGDGB), and fifths (F-e).

5. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

:cool:

I use 11-64 for standard tuning on a 7. I love the higher tension and resonance of thicker gauge strings. The band I play in has a lot of huge chords and arpeggiation and this setup makes everything sound huge.

I'm receiving my first fanned fret guitar in a couple days (there's a blizzard warning on the day it's supposed to arrive :mad:). Can't wait to feel the extra tension on the low strings.

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I use Drop G# (ab) for everything on my 8 string.
    Sometimes I drop the 7th string down to make it a drop pattern and primarily use that key for songs and othertimes I drop the G# low down to an F instead and use that Key

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

So, the low string up a full step and then the rest up two full steps from the factory tuning (low to high) F#BEADGBE?

So... (low to high) G#C#F#BEAC#F#

That's a cool idea. :yesway:

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yes :yesway: or you can also make it an open tuning too which sounds great aswell so throw a few more G#'s in there :shred:
    all of which work and sound great. And mixes up different keys a little easier for people who rely solely on open lows for the songs which is a habbit Im trying to break atm

EDIT: depending on guitar scale, the low has to be quite thin to avoid snapping under tension if using an open tuning. I just picked up a fanned fret so I should be finally sorted in that regard.