Tuning sounds off

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by sickguitar, May 12, 2012.

1. sickguitar

sickguitar SS.org Regular

I've always relied on guitar rig for tuning my 6 strings and it has worked great. But on my 7 string, I have set the intonation almost perfectly and tuned it perfectly but the low B still sounds out of tune when played in conjunction with the A and E strings i.e power chords. I put as little pressure as I can on the frets when I play so I'm not bending the strings out of tune... I have no idea what's causing it to sound out of tune when guitar rig says it's perfect :mad:

Edit: Could it have to do with the reference pitch?

2. Greatoliver

Greatoliver Looking to windward

What string gauge are you using and how hard do you hit your strings?

3. Zeetwig

Zeetwig Dedicated Chiller

^ What he said. If I have too light string gauges the string will wobble more and sound a little out of tune, especially if you pick very hard.

Does the string sound out of tune all the time, or does it wobble/fluctuate?

4. sickguitar

I use 59's. I considered that too, but I don't generally pick hard and it still occurs when I pick as soft as possible.
    I was able to solve the problem by tuning my lower B with a tuning fork instead of using guitar rigs tuner. It seems like their tuner is off when it comes to low tuning for some reason.

5. Zeetwig

Nice :) May I ask what tuner you use?

6. sickguitar

The standard tuner in Guitar Rig 5. I used the tune fork there too. It was more accurate to use that + my ears rather than relying on the tuner.

7. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Try tuning the B slightly flat? I've had that issue on 7 strings before, sometimes tuning the lowest string slightly flat makes it sound better.

8. Panacea224

Panacea224 SS.org Regular

I agree, just tune the low B to your other strings. I have found that it may need to be very slightly flat relative to the other strings as well.

9. Zeetwig

I have a Boss TU-3 and it works fine with low tunings and so on (even dropped bass tunings) :) I can really recommend it! Not that expensive either, for a pedal.

Also since I take it that your guitar hasn't a TT neck there will always be a slight inaccuracy with the tuning. Though if you use your ears (as the guys above said) you shouldn't have to worry about that too much :)

10. sickguitar

When I tune it with the tune fork, it becomes slightly flat and sounds great.
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to use my ears from now on :) thanks for the tips, guys