Tuning issues with new strings and a floyd-rose.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by distressed_romeo, Jul 2, 2007.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

OK, this is driving me absolutely crazy here.

I recently slapped a new set of strings on my seven. The gauges were 9-46 with a 60 for the low B, and the tuning was Bb. At the same time I took to opportunity to adjust the springs on the floyd rose a little, as it was lying a bit too low for me. I've got two springs and a tremel-no in there. Problem is, the tuning stability has been shot to pieces since then, and I've never once had that problem with this guitar, or these strings (D'addadios, in the gauges I've been using for ages now). Every time I leave the guitar for a bit, or do any sort of big bed with the trem, the strings go drastically sharp, frequently as much as a semitone. It's especially problematic on the G string for some reason.

I've checked all the obvious things. I've stretched the strings in several times now, made sure the nut is clamped properly, and that the strings are all wound evenly round the machine heads.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, as this is driving me insane? It's rendering the guitar pretty much unplayable at the moment.

2. shadowgenesis

shadowgenesis Yarrrrrr

I wouldn't know what the cause is, but i have the same problem on my carvin. The G particularly gets out after 2 seconds of playing and no amount of stretching, tweaking, or locking seems to help. the other strings are less drastic but it's still gotten to hte point where i don't want to pick the guitar up.

3. sparky51077

sparky51077 not so chosen one

What exactly did you adjust on the Floyd, just the springs? It is obviously not returning to zero. Could the Tremel-No need to be adjusted too?
    Could it be worn Knife edges? Might just be a dud set of strings.

Sparky

4. OzzyC

OzzyC :ubersquint:

Also, you mentions a while ago the screws slipping. Check that out, too.

5. distressed_romeo

Yeah, that has occurred to me. I'm going to have another look at it tonight.

Could it be the alignment of the tremel-no is off a bit, causing it to stick when the bar is used?

6. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

Strings stretch of course, if you adjust the tremsprings, the metal has to "settle". Both going on at once will sometimes feel like the guitar will NEVER tune right. My suggest will be do dives and pulls till it "bottoms" out 4-5 times, and let it rest for 20-30, then do it again, tuning up after it. It should settle back down in a day at the most.

7. OzzyC

OzzyC :ubersquint:

It's happened to me when mine was loose. :agreed: One screw slid out of place, and messed with the alignment.

Toothpicks and wood glue. :yesway:

8. distressed_romeo

Happenned when I was installing mine. One of the screws wouldn't stay put. I ended up solving it by taking one spring out, and screwing the remaining two further back so the wouldn't slip, and it did the trick perfectly.

Actually, NAG, I suspect you're onto something. I think it's a combination of new strings and the tremel-no alignment shifting a little as a result. I've got the alignment perfect again now, and the thing seems to be gradually settling. Thank god...