Tuning backup to standard and changing styles

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by danenachtrieb, Sep 22, 2009.

1. danenachtrieb

danenachtrieb TheGuiltyUnpunished

dude i just realized the other day that in my bre core phase i was in when i bought a seven, I have never played a seven in standard tuning. seriously. as i keep pushing myself away from the whole "core" thing i realized HOLY SHIT i really like playing in standard. from now on im writing in standard fo sho. I guess with the whole deathcore thing, I was really into it because it was new(if you dont count suffocation:lol:) and really heavy and it was very popular but now i've realized that it is a fad and im checking out before my band gets lumped in with it. actually lately ive been writng shit like cradle mixed with aborted. hope that turns out good. anybody else checking out of deathcore or feel what im saying?

2. Anthony

Anthony Banned

I'm the opposite haha. I can't write in standard for shit now if it's metal.

3. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I switch back and forth all the time (gotta get a second 7), I love writing metal tunes in standard.

4. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I've only ever played in standard except for my backup-backup 6-string which is tuned in 5ths. I really would like to spend more time with the 5ths tuning but have been way too busy lately.

5. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

I know most of the deathcore bands drop tune, but Winds of Plague, for the most part, play 6 strings in standard tuning FWIW.

6. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

Cant forget about Unearth :D

Also, I think Whitechapel plays in Drop A :metal:

7. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I don't see how you can get lumped into "-core" by playing in dropped tunings, sure the "-core" bands use those same tunings but they're "-core" because of their sound, not their tuning.

The majority of the metal stuff I write is in some sort of dropped tuning because I really like the interval it creates with the bottom 2 strings. Drop tuning hate is ridiculous :agreed:

8. vigil785

vigil785 SS.org Regular

+1

I used to always play in standard but when I first got into lamb of god I realised how much I liked writing in dropped tuning. Now I dont like writing in standard.

9. Bungle

Bungle Sir Roger Moore, KBE

I used to make my own tunings and stuff like that a few years back. Then I realised that it sucked having to change tunings every time I wanted to play a different song (it was that or get 15 guitars haha).

Now my sevens are in standard and my sixes are in standard most of the time too, maybe drop-D for certain songs and occasionally D standard if I've got the strings on for it.

Actually I just tried Dimebag's 1/4 step down tuning the other day (actually, tune down to Eb and then go up 40 cents) just for shits and giggles.

10. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

I prefer playing in standard. I used to be a dropped tuning whore back in the day but I prefer playin in standard nowadays. But I ocasionally play drop tunings.

11. abysmalrites

abysmalrites ---

Yeah, drop tunings =/= 'core. They can make things a lot easier if you're playing extremely technical brutal death.

But, even though that is the case, I like my standard tunings.

12. -mouse-

-mouse- Such a strange numb

i dont really like playing in standard... I have to at least be a half-step down to feel comfortable....

13. danenachtrieb

danenachtrieb TheGuiltyUnpunished

I didnt mean to say they go hand in hand even though it definitely sounded that way, sorry. Im just saying my playing and writing are both changing severely.

14. TheAceOfSpades1

TheAceOfSpades1 SS.org Regular

After trying out numerous tunings I found my comfort zone is a half-step down from standard. That is what all my instruments are tuned to besides my Jeff Loomis signature 7-string which is in standard. (ironically Jeff himself plays a half-step down...)
    I thought about the idea of getting a 6-string to tune to open D to play material from Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" album and see what I could do with that tuning but I don't have the money for that anytime soon.

15. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

Seeing as my only guitar that is a sixer has a F as it's lowest string, I don't think I'll be keeping my future 7 (or 7s) in standard.

16. abysmalrites

abysmalrites ---

It's all good. My other guitarist used to be stuck on drop tunings as well... then he joined my band and we play in A standard. He's big into the -core scene, especially since his other band plays in that genre. I agree with you - changing from drop exclusive playing to standard tunings can have a big effect on your playing.

17. Xanithon

Xanithon Headbobbing Galore

Nile.
    /thread

I love playing dropped tunings, its really fun to mess around in.

18. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

^ Yeah. Tool and Nile both play in dropped tunings-Drop D and Drop A, respectively.

But I do know what you mean about the guys who drop tune for no reason other than to do boring chugs with one fingered powerchords.

I play in an all fifths tuning, so I can do that all over the fretboard with little effort, but I really prefer to play other types of chords, because I've heard way too many powerchords. Yes, they are a great way to fill out the root note and sound great through distortion but they are very vanilla (to me at least).

As always, IMHO

19. Mindcrime1204

Mindcrime1204 SS.org Regular

I keep almost all my axes in standard... I jam with a lot of different people and its just easier that way for me. I have a 6 layin around in CGCFAD for the ones that are scared of 440 :rolleyes: