Tuning 25.5" scale guitar to G or F#

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Shredguitar666, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Shredguitar666

Shredguitar666 SS.org Regular

Is it a must to have a 7 string guitar with an extended neck (e.g. 26.5" or 27") before it makes sense to tune down to e.g. G or F#? Is it enough to simply put on a thicker set of strings and then have a normal scale 7 string, or will this always sound muddy and sloppy? Or at least muddier and sloppier than a guitar with an extended neck...

2. Valserp

Valserp Only plays 1 string

It WILL get muddier, compared to an extended scale, but that doesn't mean it's not doable. Get a pickup that clears off most of the mud(BKP PainKiller? EMG 81-7x?) and you'll be fine.

3. Shredguitar666

The guitar I am gonna buy is going to get a DiMarzio LiquiFire in neck position and DiMarzio D-Activator in bridge position - I already decided that :)

So I should be good to go if I get these awesome pickups and some appropriately thick strings?

4. Shredguitar666

..or in fact maybe a DiMarzio Crunchlab in bridge position..

5. thebass444

thebass444 SS.org Regular

I think you might've gotten that backwards ha. I'm pretty sure the liquifire would be in the neck, and the d-activator in the bridge. I've heard the d-activators are pretty tight, but I haven't had any experience with them. I'm sure someone who has will chime in

6. Shredguitar666

Yes sorry :) I corrected my replies already.. I mis-typed :D

7. powergroover

powergroover monster death chunk

i tune my 24.75" guitar to G# :lol:
    the guitar has emg 81 on it and i don't have any complaint regarding muddiness :hbang: at least for me though

8. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

Out of my 5 7-strings, each one is tuned a half step different from the next by a half step. All of them are 25 1/2" scale and I don't have an issue with being muddy. One is tuned to C# w/ a low G# using Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings with a 64 for the G#. The next one is tuned to C w/ a low G and that one uses the Regular Slinky strings minus the 10 guage and adding a 66 for the low G. In addition, my 8-string is also a 25 1/2" scale, and I use the Regular Slinky's on that also, but use a 70 for the F#. I'm considering moving up to a 72 possibly soon as it is a little loose, but it's not loose enough to be floppy or not hold tuning stability.

So as long as you find the right guage set that's a happy meduim and you tweak you EQ's the right way, you can get what you want from a standard and even a short scale.

9. Shredguitar666

Okay thanks a lot for the very good answers :) I will continue on my hunt for the next guitar!

10. Barney

Barney SS.org Regular

IMO the lowest you can tune a regular 25.5 guitar is Bb, maybe A.
    You have to put on quite thick strings to compensate the short string length and it will start to stiffen up. They do not resonate good enough and the harmonics will go off... It won't intonate properly.
    I tuned a 27 scale guitar to G with a 0.74 string and it was okayish... Ab would have been better with a lighter string, maybe 72 or 68.

11. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

It's subjective, but personally I don't like using heavier strings as they start feeling odd and not sounding nice to me. So I generally prefer extended scale lengths for tuning down. You can certainly do it, but when getting really heavy string gauges for F/F# tuning etc they tend to sound pretty nasty. There is a reason most people tend to go for baritones for F tuning etc.

It is down to what you prefer feel wise. If you tend to go for thinner strings and a more snappy tone, then get a baritone. If you don't mind hench strings then get a standard scale.

12. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

Bulb uses a lot of 25.5" scale guitars in drop G#, doesn't he? Anything he does is apparently gospel around here.

13. Dayn

Dayn silly person

For me... I feel it is. I have my six 25.5" in G#, and compared to my eight 27" down in E... the .080 E sounds far better than the .066 G#. That's an EMG808 compared to an EMG85X. I just feel, even clean, that the G# was just too 'thick' for its own good; both sound-wise and playing-wise. I could get a good tone out of it... but it just didn't sit right with me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... go for it! Give it a shot, you may like it. Or you may not. But you won't know until you try.

14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

25.5" guitars are ubiquitous, so go ahead and give it a try.

The thinner the string or the longer the scale, the lesser the measure of string inharmonicity due to tension. It doesn't really have anything to do with the pickups, the string will eventually just sound shitty if it's too thick and too short. Each person has their own limit, but for me, it's around G on a 25.5" scale. Going to 27" helps this two-fold. 1) The string is longer, and 2) You can get away with a slightly thinner string. So at 27", you can tune down to F# and even F with it sounding better than 25.5" at G.

15. K3V1N SHR3DZ

K3V1N SHR3DZ EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

I CANNOT play a 27" scale due to my little girl hands.
    I have my 7321 tuned (low to high) F#BEADGB with (high to low) 11, 16, 24, 32, 42, 52, 60.
    It has stock pups. I don't pick super hard, and cut a lot of bass (that's not my job anyway).

I think it Sounds GREAT.

16. etb1234

etb1234 SS.org Regular

I tune my 1527 to G with 59 and 46-10 on the rest. Ive set it well and it plays and sounds just as good as my 27 inch scale tuned to the same, with the same set of strings. Different strokes, different setups.

17. Greatoliver

Greatoliver Looking to windward

How do you lot all use such floppy strings on the bottom? I use 10-46 in E standard, so when in drop A, I use a 70 to match the tension... I tried a 68 and it was just too floppy :ugh:

A 59 at G is 10 pounds of tension! :ugh:

:ugh:

18. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

I was bored the other day and tried tuning my bottom string retarded low to a weird tuning I thought up; DDADGBE. I use a 59, so it was super floppy, practically unuseable; I did make a clip with it though. Used my RG7 w/ D-Sonic into a V-amp Pro boosted w/ a TS808.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/94-SubOctaveDriff.mp3

IMO it would be perfectly useable at F# with a slightly larger string, around a 65-70 would be good.

19. Darkstar124

Darkstar124 Strongman

I've got my RG7420 in F standard right now(25.5" scale), with a 75 on the low B and a 60 on the low E. It's definitely a great deal floppier than my buddy's schecter damien seven diamond series 26.5" even though he has a 65 on there in the same tuning. Unless you have some telephone lines to spare I wouldn't deal with it. It sure is fun though. heh.

Tl;dr unless you have huge strings dont even bother, but it is totally doable.

20. CrownofWorms

CrownofWorms SS.org Regular

I tune to F# on a 25.5 scale length. its not muddy at all, but I am using .70 gauges.