Tube overdrive recommendation

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by celticelk, Sep 28, 2011.

1. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

I'm pretty pleased with the clean tone I'm getting from my rig these days (Tech 21 Blonde into a Peavey KB100 - it's unorthodox, but it works), but I'd like to upgrade my dirty sounds. Ideally, I'd like to have a Mesa V-Twin, but they're out of production and hard to get without mortgaging your firstborn child. Can anyone recommend an equivalent tube-bearing pedal for that singing, saturated-Marshall sound?

There's a catch: it has to be made in the USA. Not made overseas by a US-owned company, not engineered here and made in China - made in the USA. Let me forestall any tangential comments by saying that this is *not* a comment on the Chinese political system, or on the merits of Chinese manufacturing. In the current economic climate, I figure my neighbors need whatever help I can provide, and I can afford to pay a premium for American-made. That limitation automatically rules out the Seymour Duncan and Blackstar pedals. What else have you got?

2. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

That unfortunately also rules out Hughes & Kettner, because the Tubefactor and Tubeman are awesome.

You could find out where AMT builds their pedals, and then check out this thing here. (or one of the others)

3. celticelk

They're made in Russia. Nice try, though - I've heard good things about their stuff.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Does it have to have tubes, or can it sound like it has tubes?

I'd take a look at a lot of the Z.Vex stuff, depending on just what kind of tone you're looking for.

5. celticelk

I would prefer actual tubes, because I like the feel (despite the tubelessness of my Tech 21); I'll take a look at the Z. Vex stuff, though. Thanks!

6. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

7. celticelk

^^^^ Not yet willing to dictate US foreign policy based on my desire for better pedals. Give it a few months. =)

Nice catch on the Fuchs! I'll check that out.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Be careful, a lot of pedals with a single 12AX7 built in use it as more of a gimmick, having it perform extremely limited functionally, and relying on the analog solid state circuits for most of the tone shaping. Not surprising, the most "tube sounding" pedals I've ever used have had no tubes, and some of the most boring sounding have had them.

You might also want to consider tube preamps like the ENGL e530 and Peavey Rockmaster.

9. celticelk

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye out for underpowered tube pedals. Fortunately there's quite a bit of chatter about that on the Web, so it's fairly easy to get a good read on individual pedals. (But strangely, not enough to easily find a good list of made-in-USA pedals. Guess tone freaks aren't too concerned with country-of-origin.)

Given my current setup, I would vastly prefer pedals; adding rack gear makes everything much more complicated at this point.

10. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

:agreed: The only one that springs to mind for me is the Chandler Tube Driver, which is best used in David Gilmour fashion...not to mention its just as expensive as a Mesa V-Twin.

11. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

How about an Ibanez tube king the new ones are High voltage apparently. not 100% sure they made in USA but I think they might be.

12. celticelk

^^^^^ I highly doubt it: the manual says "printed in China," and I can't imagine a situation where it makes economic sense to manufacture your pedal in the US but outsource your printing to China.

13. Albionic

Ok then the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is the ehx English muffin. Supposedly made in the us not huge gain but maybe with a tube screamer in front?

14. Albionic

Damage control pedals just came to mind but all their valve pedals are discontinued.might find a used one

Edit: seen a few left in shops quite expensive though demonizer is $299 solid metal $199 both high voltage and USA made :)

15. celticelk

In the absence of tubes (/clever_album_reference), the ZVex Box of Rock is looking pretty interesting, as are the Amptweaker pedals. Of course, if I'm accepting !tubes, then the higher-gain Tech 21 Character pedals are in play as well. Need to keep thinking about this. Darn. Applications are still being accepted....

(And I'd jump *all over* the AMT SS-11, if it weren't made in Russia and almost as expensive as a used V-Twin. But damn, that sounds good!)

16. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

17. celticelk

Emailed! Is that your pedal?

18. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Nope I'm in Farmington, just happened to notice your location and remember I saw one on CL earlier today.

celticelk likes this.
  19. celticelk

^^^^^^ +1 rep to you for your community spirit!

20. celticelk

Missed the boat on that V-Twin, but I tried out a Fryette SAS while at Guitar Center, and that's jumping to the head of the list - very musical, and can be dialed in for a sweet, fat-tube tone or something with more teeth in it. Bonus: discovered after the fact that David Torn was involved in its development and now has one on his board. Winner!

Thanks for the input, everyone!