Tube head + attenuator for bedroom playing; overkill?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by GÜMERSINDO, Feb 28, 2018.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I've tried a lot of options over the years. Modern attenuators and load boxes may be better but this is based on what I had at the time:
    • Attenuator and 50W Marshall DSL50 into 2x12 cab. When you get at bedroom friendly attenuation levels like -16db I feel the sound gets worse and starts to lose definition, this was with the master volume around 5-6 which was the sweet spot for this amp. Attenuators to me work best at smaller attenuation levels which gets you the sweet spot at small gig volumes.
    • Same setup but using the attenuator as a load box fed into a solid-state amp and the same cab. Better control over volume, I felt this was a bit better.
    • Amp with London Power Power Scaling. This worked pretty great but is found in very few amps and is typically expensive. Still better at louder than bedroom volumes.
    • Good master volume. I'm not sure of the implementations, these were found in a Diezel Einstein combo and an Egnater Tourmaster 100 head. Gradual, sounded pretty good at low volume but not as good as Power Scaling. Still doesn't have quite the smoothness you get from poweramp drive.
    • Power reduction in the Egnater Tourmaster. It was switchable between 10/25/50/100W per channel and any of these settings didn't have much effect on volume but a noticeable effect in response and compression. Lower the wattage, the spongier the response and thus less suited for high gain sounds. I liked the lower gain settings for classic rock tones but preferred the high wattage for high gain and cleans.
    Which brings me to what I use now: Modelers. I sold my tube amps after getting the Axe-Fx Standard because I felt I was able to get just as good sounds and more out of it. I now have an Axe-Fx 2 and a Yamaha THR100HD, both of which offer fantastic tones at any volume.

So to me a high end modeler is the way to go for low volume playing. I can understand that many haven't been satisfied with modelers in the past, neither was I but nowadays they are really very good.

2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

5150III 50w es la mejor opción de largo tal y como te dicen, suena cojonudo a volumen de dormitorio, para toda la vida y todo terreno. También tengo el Ironball y va muy bien para casa, aunque no lo he probado con mi grupo.

Tengo un atenuador por ahí tirado de haber usado con un blackstar que tenía antes... caca de la vaca.

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

ACK ack ackk!,

Ack aaack ack, ack ACK ACKKK ACKKK, Ackk ack ACK ACK ack-ack ACK ACK ACK. Ack ack ack Ack, aaack, ACK, ACK ACKKK ACK ACK ACKKKK ACKK ACK!!! ACK ack ack-ack ackk ack. Ack-ack, ack ACK ACKK Ackk? Ack, ACK ACK aack ACK ACK ACK ACK ack ack-ACK-ack ACK ACK ACK ack-ack ACK, ack ack ACK ACK ACKKK!!! Ack ack ackkkk-ack ACK ACK AAACK ACK ACK

Aaaaack ack ack ACK-ACK ack aaaack ACK ACK-ACK-ACK ACK, ack. Ack ack ack. ACK ack ACK. ACK ack ack ack (ack ack, ack ack ACK), ack ACK ACK ACK. Ack ack aaaaack? ACK ack ACK ACK, ack ack ack aaaack ACK-ACKK (Ack ack ack ack; ack ack ack ACK). Ack ackk ack ackk ACK-ACK ACK ACKKK!! Ack ack ack.

ACK ACK ack-aaack: Ack ack ACK ACK ACK!!

4. GÜMERSINDO

GÜMERSINDO SS.org Regular

I know many users here play 5153 50w at home, but "bedroom level" is a relative term. As I said before, the room where I play isn´t well conditioned for playing and I have to stay really close to the speakers. To get an idea; when I play with the IRT Studio, at 1w, the volume of the lead channel (It doesn´t have master volume) is around 3, and is fucking loud and annoying as I have to keep stuck to the cab. So for me, to play at bedroom levels means playing really low.

BTW; does it really cut through the mix in a rehearsal context?

5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Agree

When I say "bedroom level" I mean it, really, really low (dare to say even better than my ironball in spite of being 20w against 50w) and it definitely cuts through. I play through the 2x12 pairing cab and it literally kills my bandmate's Powerball 100 and 4x12

6. GÜMERSINDO

Oh, that´s good then... GAS is growing in me now, hehe

7. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I played a 5153 50 watt a few weeks ago at GC. It sounded really good at low levels. And I mean quiet enough to not wake someone sleeping in the next room.

8. GÜMERSINDO

I tune my guitars on D and B standard, does it work with detuned guitars or should I crank it a bit for low end tightness?

Is anyone using a 6505 (120w) at home, those are more affordable and easier to find good deals in the used market.

9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Yes they work great a bedroom volumes. I rotate mine into home playing from time to time. It’s an affordable amp that absolutely ranks up with the greatest high gain amps of all time.

10. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Both my 5150ii and 5150iii are completely manageable and acceptable for bedroom usage.

Now my Mesa Triple Rec on the other hand.....nope :lol:

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Just Buy A 5150

12. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I use it with 7 strings tuned to A standard, no need for anything, is tight as hell, even too tight. Get a 5153, they have new options like concentric pots and the el34 version which will make you see a lot of the old ones like mine at a ridiculous price second hand. There are a lot in guitarristas.info

13. GÜMERSINDO

Cool, I´ll be starting the hunting as soons as I got rid some stuff I´m not gonna use anymore.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  14. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Also this. I got my 100W 5153 for $500 :lol:. Pretty sure Guitar Center thought it was a 50W because they're morons but it's a win for me and the deals are out there.

15. GÜMERSINDO

I´m getting even more convinced with every new post hehe.

Do any of you use some pedal as clean boost for your amp? I have an 808 and a Centaur, both work really with other amps I tried before but maybe these amps are tight enough to be boosted. I could sell some pedals to get some funds for the new amp. What do you think?

16. Jake

Jake GAS Master

5153 definitely doesn't need a boost but I still use my 808 because I'm stuck in my ways :lol:

17. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Some folks will say to boost any 5150, but this is the actual truth :yesway:

18. NateFalcon

NateFalcon #Ox45

Don’t be scared of 100+ watters-you’ll make it work...or you’ll feel at times like you don’t have enough which is where you’re at now. It’s nice to have the power when you need it live

19. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Guessing most of the people on this forum clean boost their tube amps, it's almost tradition :p

20. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

It never sounds good with your ear in the speaker, and I agree with everyone that has mentioned that the speakers aren't really working at super low volume levels. Might be better off with a modeler into some small monitors for super low volume practice. Just my <$0.02