Tube amp and impulse responses

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by METAL123, Feb 14, 2018.

1. METAL123

METAL123 SS.org Regular

I recently picked up a Two Notes Captor. Does exactly what it says, easy to use, and seems like a pretty good value.

One thing I'm having trouble with is dialing in a good tone. My assumption is I should start off with all the settings on the amp at noon, activate a good impulse response, and tweak from there? Is that how I should approach it?

I am using a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo (head plugging right into the captor) with a TS9 and Noise Gate in front. Any suggestions in terms of dialing in some awesome metal and djent tones and some good IRs?

Thanks!

2. JesperX

JesperX SS.org Regular

What sort of issues are you having with the tone specifically? Which IRs are you using?

I'm running a 120 watt 6505+ head into the Two Notes Captor, so similar setup. There's quite a bit of preference when it comes to IR selection. The Two Notes stuff in WoS is definitely solid, but I've found that I struggle getting the sort of tone I want with them. I really dig the Ownhammer stuff, I just load them up using NadIR.

I used the Ownhammer Bogner 4x12 on this: https://soundcloud.com/user5669481/omg-more-oh-cab-testing

As far as tweaking goes, I just go to a known good setting (e.g. 6/6/6 with desired gain and pres/res on 6505+), then dig through IRs to get as close to the desired tone as I can. Once I've found an IR I like, I'll do some more tweaking on the amp.