TSE Audio x50 AMP/CAB SIM

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by chuggalug, Jun 2, 2016.

1. chuggalug

chuggalug SS.org Regular

I went to a buddies house to do some guitar recording and he plugged me into his DAW and it had such a nasty tone it blew me away. I asked him what he was using to get the tone with and he told me about TSE Audio x50. I've never had any experience with this AMP/CAB sim but I have played around with various impulses and stuff in cubase like LePou plugins and guitar rig but always had pretty lackluster results with a tone that really lacked any balls/clarity.

so I came home and purchased TSE x50 and have played around with it for about 30minutes after installing and have already come up with a tone that blows anything else ive tried out of the water.

any of you guys have any experience with x50? or any other sims that really standout for that matter?

ComaPrison likes this.
  2. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

TSE X50 is one of the best amp sims out right now IMO

Buster Odeholm sold his Axe FX and now exclusively uses TSE X50 (You can find it on Humanity's Last Breath Detestor EP and the latest Born of Osiris album), and Brian Hood (ERRA, Invent Animate, Gideon, Sentinel) uploaded a sick tone video for it that sounded better than the actual release (It was either a Dual rec or a Kemper profile of a dual rec)

However, I find TSE X50 has a fizz that is a bit difficult to get rid of.

Toneforge and Mercuriall's U530 are really great as well.

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

TSE X50 is a great sim and easy to get good tones straight away, I sold my kemper and axe-fx 2 and use Thermionik solely now. Amp sims and impulses have come a long way recently.

^i want to try Toneforge next.

4. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Toneforge Menace and Ben Bruce are both pretty nice, but don't expect too much.

I've heard so many good demos of Menace but I was never able to get a comparable tone to any of them.

They both work pretty great at nailing the signature Joey Sturgis POD Farm Cali Rectifier into Mesa Cab tone, but not much else can be really done with them.

5. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

TSE X50 crapped out on me and support couldn't help me, unfortunately. But before that I was fairly happy with it. It's not a very versatile sim, but it slays at that kind of tone.

6. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

i´ve heard some good stuff coming from the TSE X50. but for me personally it´s not quite
    the right thing. and it feels like a one trick pony to me. i got me TH3 by Overloud now.
    it´s in a higher price range but also has way more to offer for that. and it just sounds
    amazing to me. from all the amp sims i´ve tested out recently that one feels the most
    organic and has the most defined sound. and the cabs are amazing as well. they can
    easily hold up against commercial third party impulses and give you further options of mic
    choice and placement. even the individual speakers of a cab sound slightly different. this
    thing really gives you a lot of tweakability where it makes sense. love it.

7. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Interestingly, I tried out quite a few VST amp sims and found that TSE X50 was the only one which didn't have amp buzz!

I'd almost given up on amp sims, but was delighted with X50 and still am.

It does one thing. And it does it really well.

Any impulse suggestions appreciated!

8. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Bias sounds quite good, but I dislike their fragmentation and pricing (having to buy the same gear in different platforms again).

9. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

Great thread !!!

I just bought X50. I have everything, Bias Desktop, Bias FX, TH3, Amplitube so on...

So I had a Peavey 6505MH and an EVH5150iii. Got rid of the heads because I truly felt that the X50 held its own in a mix. Used the money to buy me new guitars and a Protone Misha Attack Overdirve:hbang:

Anyway, the X50 sounds ridiculous, and even better with a real overdrive pedal before your interface. Lots of guitarists arent aware that using a real OD pedal makes your amp sim crank like crazy. OD sims suck, so my advice is get a real OD pedal. Protone, MXR, Fultone...so on.

Back to the X50....My honest opinion is that the X50 has the most pleasing to the ear sound. TH3 is also very good, however its like a Chinese buffet. Lots of food, tastes ok, but you might get a little sick if you eat too much.

The X50 is like going to a high end Sushi bar that only serves a few types of sushi. One piece of tuna sashimi, but it tastes exquisite.

Its Friday, and Im starting to get hungry for Sushi now :nuts:

10. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Agreed. I use a TC Spark to boost mids and treble. However, is turning up 'level' on the booster any different to turning up the line-in volume on the soundcard?

We have a 6505+ and Orange 4x12 in the studio which we still use for final recording, but X50 is great for demos.

Platforms like Bias are quite appealing for the scope of sounds, but the reality is that if I owned a Diezel VH4, I wouldn't be lusting over loads of other valve amps. You tend to get one main tone for crunch and shape it a little for different mixes.

11. vertibration

Your statement about having a VH4 is the exact reason I love X50. I hate getting so wrapped up in a million tones. I like one amp, and maybe a few types of cab impulses for variety.

So regarding the OD pedal. Take Protone for instance. There is a very distinct sound improvement when using their pedals. I can only speak for them, because I own one, and dont have any others, but the Attack Overdrive from Protone is absolutely astonishing.

Protone makes OD pedals specifically for Metal/Djent. So I would highly recommend them if thats the sound you are looking for. The Spark Im not sure would give you that kind of drive, as I think it wasn't made for that purpose. At least the videos Ive seen on youtube for the Spark were mostly clean tones, and rock tones.

12. vertibration

13. P-Ride

P-Ride SS.org Regular

Hmm. I love my Spark for boosting my tone, way more than the MXR GTOD or Seymour Duncan 805 we tried.. but this Protone does look appealing. I'll have to try one out.

Any tips on particularly good impulses?

14. vertibration

The very best impulses requires you to purchase Fractal Audio Cab Lab plug in for $50 to run the Cab Packs they sell for like $29. That is the $$$ way to go.

Now for a cheap alternative, Rosen Digital makes awesome impulses that are inexpensive.

Here is a link to the Zilla Fatboy 2x12 impulse that absolutely destroys any impulse I have ever used. It sounds insane man, download it

Freebie IR of my Zilla Fatboy 2x12! | Fractal Audio Systems Forum

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I compared my OD808 against TSE808 and I didn't notice much of a difference. I must try again or get some other overdrives.

16. vertibration

The differences are subtle I am sure, however, check out the video I linked. the Protone pedals are specific to metal, and focus on that. The OD808 wasnt meant for metal originally, but it fit that platform to get a specific tighter sound. What Protone did was take that idea to the next level. :hbang:

17. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

For me the difference between using my TS9 or using TSE808 is that for some reason if I load a saved project that has TSE808 in it goes SCREEEEEEEEEEEE until I remove and load the plugin again, and I really can't be arsed with that.

18. ComaPrison

ComaPrison SS.org Regular

Hi, I am one of the Beta Testers for X50. If you are having problems please post your spec.s (OS, DAW, Version, CPU, etc.) and we will fix it.

This relates to the V2.4... not the free version.

Also, V2.4 includes X30 (ENGL 530). There will be an update in the "near" future to increase the X50 suite's versatility. This will be free to existing users as all updates have been up to this point.

Here are some links for more information about X50.

Home | TSE Collective

https://www.facebook.com/TSEAUDIO/

https://www.facebook.com/TSECollective/

https://www.tseaudio.com/home

19. vertibration

Hope that "near" future is this summer, Im really loving TSE X50. Also, I beta test as well so if you guys need testers for the X50 on Ableton, Logic, and Cubase on Mac, please PM me info. I currently test for Ableton as a centercode tester.

20. ComaPrison

ComaPrison SS.org Regular