Trying to learn to think in this style

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by pipelineaudio, Dec 28, 2017.

1. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio SS.org Regular

I'm really trying to understand and learn more of that style where the rhythm seems to keep changing yet, keep coming back...Its really hard to explain, I hear it in a lot of songs, but I'd love to find some songs that were more basic and easy to learn that do it so I could learn to think in that style

I guess its easiest to show some examples:

I know its comedy, but the "play like its 2008" part in this Jared Dines video

This whole outtro thing on Sevenfield's Bring the Silence:

What do you call this sort of writing? Where can I learn more of the fundamentals of it?

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

The term you're looking for is "syncopation", I believe.

Demiurge likes this.
  3. pipelineaudio

Do you know any good, generic examples of this sort of syncopation i could learn from?

4. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

5. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Besides many Meshuggah examples, Behold the Arctopus does a fair amount of syncopated bits too, if I recall correctly

6. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

^ Honestly I think both those examples are too complex for this, as compared to the two basic examples in the original post.
    I would just listen to and learn a bunch of breakdowns, download tabs and see how they play off against the main count of 4. It's not a genre I'm well versed in to give examples.

7. pipelineaudio

Do you know any breakdowns I could steal from to learn? I'm not sure which songs of which bands would have similar ones

8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Syncopation is basically about shifting the pulse to the offbeats. At least that's the best way I can describe it.

Here's an exercise you can do. Simplest thing possible, and you can elaborate from there:

1. Start a metronome (use YouTube if you don't have one). Start slow. 60 bpm maybe.
    2. Play one measure of chugs on quarter notes. 1 2 3 4
    3. Play one measure chugging on the offbeats of 1 2 3 and 4 (the 8th note beats in between)
    4. Play those two measures over and over, feeling the shift from on beat to off beat.

Set your metronome to the 8th note tempo if you have any trouble feeling the off beats.

9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Here's a bonus exercise for you. Ragtime music is all about syncopation. So first listen to this classic Joplin rag. The left hand pretty much just pulses on an 8th note beat, so pay attention to the right hand - the melody line.:

NOW - pick a phrase from that song and mimic the rhythm (not the pitch) of the melody on a low, djenty chug. INSTANT BREAKDOWN!

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Veil of Maya is chock full of it

Crawl Back is a good one because it has a few different sections of syncopated breakdowns, and the riffs are all relatively painless to learn.

11. pipelineaudio

Thank you guys so much!!!

12. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

also important for this technique is to really focus on your muting during the breaks (with both hands) and possibly adding a noise gate to your signal chain (especially simple if you use modellers). Something to mute the strings behind the nut also helps a lot (also tremolo springs if you have a trem) since they are both sources of unwanted noise during breaks/stops