Trying to learn the most cookie cutter metal/shred soloing, what bands should I look at?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Zalbu, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now but I've been neglecting practice a lot, and especially my lead playing, so I want to start from the basics when it comes to lead playing.

I'm looking for the absolute most cookie cutter metal/shred guitar soloing that's out there so I can take those patterns, arpeggios, licks and stuff like that and build upon them and use in my own playing and improvisation.

I listen to a ton of different genres now compared to when I started playing guitar and the guitar based music I do listen to is mostly more complex prog metal, and I'm not nearly at the level where I can emulate guys like John Petrucci, so I need some suggestions for some more straightforward bands.

I've completely forget what bands or guitarists use this kind of cookie cutter playing that I used to listen to all the time while growing up, outside of bands like Iron Maiden or Metallica, so do anybody have some recommendations for good bands or resources to study the basics of metal soloing?

The only examples I can think of are songs like Fade to Black or The Trooper that uses patterns that sound more complex than they actually are, like this or this.

2. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

Anything Children of Bodom

3. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

Paul Gilbert's Racer X solos have all the 3-note-per-string patterns covered, as well as string-skipping arpeggios and tons of licks in general. Other than being crazy fast they are relatively straightforward.

Zalbu likes this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I was literally going to say Dream Theater until I read your post. SO much can just be played slowly then sped up with a click.

Metallica solos from RTL and MOP all have very vanilla hammer-on/pull-off sections that can be moved up and down easily. And many examples of the “pick the high E 15Th fret then full step bend the B at 17th” classic.

Zalbu likes this.
  5. Zalbu

I mean, I could look at some Petrucci stuff and just play it slow and that's mostly what I've been doing so far, but Petrucci does a lot of fast alternative picking and legato and things like that and I'm looking more for the basic Kirk Hammett style that have a lot of repetitive wankery so I can learn the different patterns and stuff like that.

Mathemagician likes this.
  6. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Slayer and Hammett. Once you learn a few solos you will see the same patterns over and over.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  7. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

I would try some Vivian Cambell solos from the early Dio records. "Holy Diver" is a good one with some great hooks and a couple little burner licks that stay in the box. "Last In Line" is harder but cooler. "Rainbow in the Dark" is your go-to for fast but simple lines. "Don't Talk To Strangers" might be the hardest one

8. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

Honestly I'd just start with your early-80's heavy metal and go from there. Dio, Grim Reaper ("See You In Hell"), Saxon ("Power and the Glory"), Judas Priest (anything from "Defenders of the Faith"), Queensryche ("The Needle Lies" or "Screaming in Digital"), Manowar ("Black Wind, Fire and Steel) Ozzy solo ("Crazy Train" or "Bark At The Moon) and stuff like that.

Mr. Big Noodles likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

If you really want boring generic shred-style leads, maybe Avenged Sevenfold?

But, most generic-sounding shred soloing just doesn't find an audience. I'd say work on scale and arpeggio drills to build the mechanics, and try to play more musically interesting stuff - Yngwie, Gilbert, Satriani, Petrucci...

10. Zalbu

I barely even know what kind of music I want to write at this point because I listen to so many different styles of music, everything from Meshuggah to classical music, pop, jazz, disco, funk, electronic music, you name it. I just want to learn the generic soloing to start out with so I can be as versatile as possible and build up a bank of licks.

It's not like I consider guys like Synyster Gates and Kirk Hammett to be the peak of guitar playing, I'm more drawn to guys like Petrucci, Holdsworth, Jeff Loomis, Guthrie Govan, Tosin and Paul Waggoner, progressive guys and guys that leans heavily towards jazz/fusion stuff.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, yeah... But, why not just start with Petrucci and Loomis licks? Holdsworth is in his own world, and Tosin seems to rely so heavily on tapping and slap styles that he'd be hard to integrate into other approaches, I think, but if you want to learn licks, I don't see any point in intentionally learning generic ones.

12. Zalbu

I mainly just want to learn the style of repetitive two and three string patterns that makes up the staple of generic metal soloing because I've been wondering forever how to play it and I feel pretty silly to have been playing guitar for like 10 years at this point without having learned the stuff that people learn in their first 1-2 years of playing guitar. Loomis and Petrucci mostly does a lot of alternative picking and legato and it's not how to play it that I'm struggling with, aside from that I need to work on getting my speed up, it's what to play that I need to learn.

But yeah, I'm starting to realize that it's probably better to just work on my speed because generic metal soloing is generic for a reason, because it's easy to figure out what they're playing as long as you know how to play it.

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Nothing to complicated about All that Remains solos, but they are very melodic, use good technique, sound good overall, and Oli is a sound technician.

@2:40

ThePhilosopher and Mathemagician like this.
  14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Work on picking excersizes and scale exercises for that. Or, don't - most people spend a lot of time working on that stuff and then wonder why their solos sound like a collection of scale exercises. Get ahead of that. :lol:

15. Zalbu

Nah, I'm not really interested in writing stuff that's just playing fast for the sake of playing fast, I just want to have the ability to do it in case I want to, like Guthrie Govan. I've already started working on learning scales in terms of intervals and scale degrees and not just shapes so I actually know how the scales are constructed and don't just learn shapes.

16. stratjacket

stratjacket Lost in a loop

If learning some riffs help keep you interested, then the 80’s references would be a good place. But I think spend time to learn the fretboard through and through and then just pick up a lick book (there’s a million of them) and practice those licks all over the fretboard.

17. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Go learn some Led Zeppelin and AC/DC solos. That's about the most base-level metal soloing you can get, and pretty much all metal soloing evolved from the Jimmy Page / Angus Young tree. You can probably pretty much work your way through the metal soloing evolutionary tree by learning a few solos of following bands, starting left to right....

Zeppelin/ACDC -> Iron Maiden/Judas Priest -> Metallica/Slayer -> Dream Theater -> a million great shredders on Youtube

18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

If no one has suggested Metallica by now, I would point to Ride the Lightning and MOP. Great slow/pretty sections, nice melodies, and a LOT of “patterns” that just get moved up the fretboard.

Very classic 80’s style solos. Also, Arch Enemy does almost the exact same thing now only their solos are way shorter.

19. Zalbu

I've actually started looking at some Zeppelin and AC/DC solos, I think the whole blues rock style is the kind of style that I'm trying to learn right now, with lots of bendy, hammer on and pull off, repetitive patterns. The Stairway to Heaven solo is a perfect example of that. It's just a bit of a chore to go through so much material, especially AC/DCs stuff.

Metallica, Iron Maiden, Randy Rhoads/Ozzy, Dio, Dimebag and power metal bands is also some of the stuff that I'm looking at but it's also so much material to look at. I think I'll be better of with just learning a few licks here and there of the style that I'm looking to learn, like the ending to the Stairway solo and the start to the Master of Puppets solo. Then work on getting my speed up and the mechanics of playing fast and then learn more solos when I can actually play faster and thus learn the solos faster when there's so much material to go through rather than slowly working on learning solos one by one.

20. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

I think you've got the right idea, given your stated goal. No need to learn the whole solo when you can just grab the licks that are representative of what you're looking for to implement into your own soloing.

Good luck!!