Trying to decide on my first 7...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by 0 Xero 0, Jul 24, 2011.

1. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I've been saving up for a new guitar for a while and am thinking about getting an Ibanez RG2027XVV (if I can find one...) or a UV7BK. I was thinking about a JP7, but they're out of my price range. That being said, what would you all recommend for around $1000 USD (1500 is the highest I can go)?

2. ExhumedShadow

ExhumedShadow dEUs

In that spectrum of axes I gotta say rga427, d best recent ibanez around.
    Also you are very near Carvin area, custom beats all =)

3. Djent

Djent Obviously!

If you're lucky, you can nail down a JP7 for 1500. Otherwise, Carvin's the way to go.

4. areyna21

areyna21 SS.org Regular

Well carvins are very well made guitars and you should easily be able to get one under 1500. Music man jp7 guitars can be found for around 1500 but it just takes some patience and looking around. Guitar centers used section has a jp7 in titanium for 1499 right now as a matter of fact. For that price range i think your going in the right direction with ibanez and jp7 but like they said above also think about a carvin custom.

5. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

I LOOVVEEE my Carvin! Sounds and feels amazing.. the only reason i want to change pickups in mine is because ive been way too damn curious about the crunch lab and liquifire.. it is a great sounding guitar stock though.

6. Az_Spirit_Crusher

Az_Spirit_Crusher Death Metal and Jazz

I'd go for Carvin. ;):yesway:

7. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

Although I love Ibanez, +1 for Carvin!

8. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Well there seems to be a lot of love for carvins on here, haha. I've never played one though so I'm wondering what they play like. I've just heard a lot of good things about the 2027XVV and UV7BK (particularly the 2027), but I don't know if I'll ever find a 2027. And most of you said that I can find JP7s around this range. How much do carvins range for and what, given the choice between a JP7, 2027, and Carvin (some superstrat shape probably...), would you all pick? By the way, thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate it!

9. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

JP7 all the way :yesway:

10. Djent

Djent Obviously!

If you really want a piezo, you can consider the 2027. Otherwise, the JP7 or a well-specced Carvin beat the UV7 by a mile.

11. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Well I honestly don't really care about the piezo. I just heard it plays like a dream and is one of ibby's best 7s. I spec'd out a carvin though and this is what I came up with:
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/cart/cart.php?id=bb0fe96972335f20dccf013ee6f71b74
    I'm not sure if it will load for you guys, but it has a

• mahogany body
    • walnut neck
    • ebony board
    • koa top
    • floyd rose (for a tremel-no)
    And some other small things and came to $1444. If carvins play well, it seems like a good deal, although I don't like being locked into one pickup choice very much and I'm not too crazy about them from reading the specs (and I'd really like the curly koa... but wouldn't we all xD ). Still, what do you think about that versus a JP7?

12. areyna21

areyna21 SS.org Regular

You know that is honestly a hard choice for me but i think the specs pushes the carvin ahead. Jp7 guitars feel amazing and sound great but you have the ability to get a custom guitar to your exact specs. Either way your not going to be disappointed with either of those two great guitar.

13. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

One thing I'm uncertain about is how carvins play. I'll admit that I haven't played a JP7 yet, but I can play one at a guitar center. However, I can't play a carvin at a guitar center. Is there something comparable to the playability of a carvin?

14. littledoc

littledoc Go meat!

Thor's Hammer? :shred:

I suppose a high-end Ibanez would be closest to a Carvin, at least in terms of the body size and neck profile. Carvin necks are very close to the Wizard neck on the UV777... just a shade under 2mm thicker at the 12th fret, just over 1mm thicker at the first fret, and a little bit less wide. In terms of contour, it begins as more of a C-shape and tapers to more of a D-shape toward the body. It's quite subtle though.

Keep in mind Carvin gives you a 10-day trial once you've received your guitar. If you don't like it, just send it back no questions asked.

15. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

and all you are stuck with is shipping cost.. which is very inexpensive if you are in the USA.

Carvin has great customer service as well. and make sure you get stainless steel frets!
    ‪camer138's Channel‬‏ - YouTube
    i have some vids of me playing my carvin here. it plays like a dream!

16. nkri

nkri SS.org Regular

Sadly I've never played a Carvin (though I've heard great things about them), but I have an RG2027X and it's absolutely amazing! Plays like a dream, sounds great, u can't really go wrong with it. But they're tough to find so I'm with onetimeoneplace on this one...JP7 or Carvin over Universe, hands down!

17. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the responses guys. I haven't quite saved up enough for the carvin I spec'd out yet, but it seems like a good choice. I've heard that they don't pay much attention to detail on their guitars as far as wiring and whatnot in a couple threads. Is this just on production models or is this just a couple people out of many who are complaining? Thanks guys! I appreciate the input!

18. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

no wiring issues on my carvin.. actually ive never had a guitar with as good of a volume knob control as my carvin, it seems extremely smooth the way it cuts out the sound

19. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Well everything seems to point to a carvin then. I'm just sad that I can't choose other pups for it. Do dimarzios fit in 727s without routing?

20. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

Surprised no one has said to get the Universe. I would suggest that since I'm a universe fanboy.