truss rod creaking sound ?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Rollandbeast, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Rollandbeast

Rollandbeast SS.org Regular

hey guys ! so i was adjusting the trussrod on my ormsby goliath and I heard what sounded like a creaking or cracking sound of the neck not sure to be honest , i stopped as soon is i heard it..
    good thing I didnt need to adjust it more the relief is perfect now but it got me a bit worried , ive never had this happen and I adjusted the truss rod plenty of times on my other guitars ..
    shoud I be worried or is this a normal sound ?
    thanks guys

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Was it creaking or cracking? Those are two different things.

Some creaking is fine, especially if it's the first time you've adjusted it in awhile.

lewis likes this.
  3. Rollandbeast

Rollandbeast SS.org Regular

yea i think it was more of a creaking sound, well i hope so lol either way the relief is fine now and it plays great so whatever haha thanks man

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

creaking is likely because the truss rod is a really snug fit in the neck and its just creating friction as you turn it.

Cracking.....yeah not good. Possibly over tightening?.
    If its the former dont be too alarmed.
    Take a look at your action/string height and determine what you need to do with the truss rod.

5. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

My schecter A7+ made one hell of a loud creak once I got the truss rod freed, but it had been in someone’s closet for the last 10 years and probably hadn’t had an adjustment since it was made, 18 years prior. I would say it’s normal to have a creak if it hasn’t been adjusted in some time. All that stuff is up against wood inside the neck.