Tru-oil finish on strat replacement neck

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by NikolajBak, Nov 9, 2017.

1. NikolajBak

NikolajBak SS.org Regular

Hi guys.
    I'm getting a new neck for my cheap-ass strat copy, as the trussrod adjustment hole is broken.
    The neck is maple with a wenge fretboard, and it Is from a local dealer, so it's not an ultra cheap replacement, but still it's not fender.
    I want to do a tru-oil finish, as It comes unfinished, but I have never done it before.
    And my question is this: Do I need to sand the back of the neck before I apply the finish? I know it's unfinished, but still.
    What are your experience with replacement necks?

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

It's going to depend on what the surface of the wood is like when it gets to you, but I would plan on sanding it at least up to 220 grit when you get it. Maybe 320.

Probably it will be in good enough shape that you can just prep sand lightly with 220 and call it a day.

3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

If the neck is raw, there shouldn't be the need to sand it back unless you're not happy with the feel of the surface or see scratches from the last sanding run in the factory. Those will get a lot more visible once you apply a finish. You can generally apply the TruOil layers with a fine sanding (soft)pad (400 or above)...

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

yeah if they didn't sand it then I'd sand it at least to 400 grit or so. the couple of warmoth necks i've bought didn't even need to be sanded since they hit em with at least 800 grit or so, and I'm not very picky about the feel of my necks.

5. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

I'd oil it after sanding with 600 then 1200 ( that's just my preference). Give it about 7 or 8 coats (or even more) then finish with 1200 and polish if you want it glossy. The finish will help to avoid any Wenge splinters getting into your mitts

6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Does anything over 400 even make a difference on bare wood? I always heard it didn't, but I guess that probably varies by species.

7. KnightBrolaire

yeah depends on the grain structure. hardwoods like maple/walnut with tight pores/grains usually don't need a ton of sanding to feel smooth, wenge/other porous woods need a bit more ime.

8. NikolajBak

NikolajBak SS.org Regular

Thanks guys, I think I will go at it with some 220 and then move up. The neck is one piece maple, the fretboard is wenge. Do the fretboard need to be finished as well?

9. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

The higher you go with the grits, the more glossy it will get. 200 is perfectly pleasant if you're looking for a woody finish. Anywhere between 200 and 2000 is going to be someone's favorite, it just depends on what you like.

You can experiment with pieces of birch ply, it's cheap and IME takes tru-oil a lot like maple. Are you going for a particular kind of feel/finish?

10. KnightBrolaire

wenge doesn't need to be finished but you can finish it if you want a glossy fretboard as well. It's a little harder to do with frets already installed.

11. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

I personally wouldn't oil wenge. It's technically an oily species and at most I'd sand to 1000 and maybe use a little wax as a protective coating.

If you go with Tru Oil, don't lay it on too thick and make sure you wipe off excess when it starts getting tacky. Ten coats as pondman says and you're looking at a really nice neck. Consider using 0000 steel wool every other coat to ensure a really smooth, flat finish.

Post a picture when you're done :)

12. Killemall1983

Killemall1983 SS.org Regular

Wenge isnt oily at all. Its actually incredibly dry. but it doesnt require a finish. But it gets much more smooth and easier to play on with an oil finisih.